ameijers

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article e05gd.6857$8R.572@trnddc02, Red Neckerson wrote:
"MilkyWhy" wrote in message

flakeboard crap of today, so light and easy to move into place. They

just
made the stuff BETTER, 50 years ago, than the crap of today.

(snip)

However - old growth wood is a lot stronger than second or third growth

timber.
It's a matter of cost; the old stuff is used up (mostly) and the new stuff

is
not as hard or strong. Flakeboard is chips of real wood in a matrix of

glue.
Heavy and reasonably strong, it makes use of what used to be thrown away.

What he said. The cheap (aka nearby) supplies of good wood are mostly used
up, other than in the preserve areas, where they should STAY unmolested so
our great-great grandkids can see what real trees look like. Used to use
what would now be furniture-grade 1/4 inch ply for soffits, and clear-grain
or even redwood for fascia board. I could cry thinking of all the scraps I
threw on the burn pile as a kid. Who knew? Nowadays, a 2-3 foot stick of
clear grain anything, you stick it in the save box for a rainy day.

(yeah, we used to burn on-site back then, even in town. different world.)

aem sends...