Rileyesi

Default Well water and softner questions

We are moving to a house that has a well as the water supply and a septic
system. There is a saline water softener but no filter, unless there is one in
the well that I am not aware of. I was there for the well inspection and asked
the inspectors if there was a filter and they looked around in the basement
where the pump and softener system is located and said there was not a filter.

I am considering adding a filter to the system. First, where in the system do
I put the filter? I would imagine that it should go between the well and the
saline water softener. Is there a brand name of filter that is "best"?

Also, there is an April Air whole house humidifier in the system. I didn't get
the model name, but it is the type that has a lattice that looks similar to a
small furnace filter that the water will cascade down to humidify the air.
When I opened the cover, a whole bunch of crud fell onto the floor that looked
like salt. I imagine that it is either from the salt from the softener and/or
the high mineral content of the well water. Any ideas about controlling that?
Also, since the crud is in the humidifier I have a suspicion that it is also in
the water heater tank. Would draining the tank a few times per year be a good
idea? The only reason I have been told to NOT drain the tank is that the
tank's drain valve might not close.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Oscar_Lives

"Rileyesi" wrote in message
[...]

Don't drink that ****. It might kill you.

David Martel

Rileyesi,

It's not clear from your post why you want to filter your water. Is your
well water dirty ( small particles )? If so a filter between the well and
the softener may help. Check with a local plumber or your neighbors for
filters that work on the local water.
The humidifier should be cleaned and maintained on a regular basis.
Softened water will leave salt in it as it evaporates. This must be removed.
I believe that the " pad " (the lattice) should be replaced occasionally.
Get an owner's manual for the humidifier.
Water heaters are not usually drained for cleaning. Normally the drain
valve is opened and the water is run out for several minutes ( or until crud
stops coming out ). It is possible for the drain valve to fail while doing
this but drain valve replacement is usually a cheap and easy DIY project.

Dave M.

Rileyesi

It's not clear from your post why you want to filter your water. Is your
well water dirty ( small particles )? If so a filter between the well and
the softener may help. Check with a local plumber or your neighbors for
filters that work on the local water.
The humidifier should be cleaned and maintained on a regular basis.
Softened water will leave salt in it as it evaporates. This must be removed.
I believe that the " pad " (the lattice) should be replaced occasionally.
Get an owner's manual for the humidifier.
Water heaters are not usually drained for cleaning. Normally the drain
valve is opened and the water is run out for several minutes ( or until crud
stops coming out ). It is possible for the drain valve to fail while doing
this but drain valve replacement is usually a cheap and easy DIY project.

Dave,

I don't know that I need one, I am just preparing for it in case we do (we are
not in the house yet).

Thanks for the reply and the info.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Rileyesi" wrote in message
[...]

I would put a whole house filter in front of the softener.

--

SVL