Eric F

Default The Bathroom Stink

OK folks, I really need your help. I'm starting to get sick from
this sewage odor eminating from my bathroom on cold nights.
I live on the top (3rd) floor of a garden type apartment
building/condo- there is a crawlspace/attic above me. I just had my
batroom remodeled, but the smell existed before. It just seems to be
getting worse. My downstairs neighbors claim they don't smell
anything. I already had my toilet seal redone to no avail.
Any chance it could be the pipe venting? Since I live on the top
floor I'm thinking when they installed roof fans a few years back they
screwed it up. The fans they put in are those useless bubble fan
things.
I don't know what else to do.
Tom Baker

Eric F wrote in message . ..
OK folks, I really need your help. I'm starting to get sick from
this sewage odor eminating from my bathroom on cold nights.
I live on the top (3rd) floor of a garden type apartment
building/condo- there is a crawlspace/attic above me. I just had my
batroom remodeled, but the smell existed before. It just seems to be
getting worse. My downstairs neighbors claim they don't smell
anything. I already had my toilet seal redone to no avail.
Any chance it could be the pipe venting? Since I live on the top
floor I'm thinking when they installed roof fans a few years back they
screwed it up. The fans they put in are those useless bubble fan
things.
I don't know what else to do.

Check the plumbing vent.
Is it sealed through the attic and roof?
Does it go above the roof?
Is it close to a fan or other point of unintended intake?
TB
Speedy Jim

Eric F wrote:

OK folks, I really need your help. I'm starting to get sick from
this sewage odor eminating from my bathroom on cold nights.
I live on the top (3rd) floor of a garden type apartment
building/condo- there is a crawlspace/attic above me. I just had my
batroom remodeled, but the smell existed before. It just seems to be
getting worse. My downstairs neighbors claim they don't smell
anything. I already had my toilet seal redone to no avail.
Any chance it could be the pipe venting? Since I live on the top
floor I'm thinking when they installed roof fans a few years back they
screwed it up. The fans they put in are those useless bubble fan
things.
I don't know what else to do.

I'll bet they disturbed the venting system inside the attic space.
Strongly suggest you not go up there by yourself to investigate;
get management to go with you or hire someone. If you do go up,
bring a digicam.

Jim
George C. Fahrlender

You could have a blocked vent pipe or missing a "p" trap to seal out the
sewer gases

--
George Fahrlender
On-Location Services

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...
Eric F wrote:

[...]

Eric F

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:03:25 -0500, "George C. Fahrlender"
wrote:

You could have a blocked vent pipe or missing a "p" trap to seal out the
sewer gases

I really took a smell around my bathroom, putting my nose
everywhere. The source seems to be coming from around my sink, in the
corner between the sink and the wall for my water-heater closet. It's
definitely not coming from the drain.
I opened the water-heater closet and there's absolutely no smell in
there at all. As I said before, I had my whole b-room remodeled and
the smell was there before, although now it's worse.
Is that any help?

Terry

wrote:

You could have a blocked vent pipe or missing a "p" trap to seal out the
sewer gases

I really took a smell around my bathroom, putting my nose
everywhere. The source seems to be coming from around my sink, in the
corner between the sink and the wall for my water-heater closet. It's
definitely not coming from the drain.
I opened the water-heater closet and there's absolutely no smell in
there at all. As I said before, I had my whole b-room remodeled and
the smell was there before, although now it's worse.
Is that any help?

Other suggestions.
Leak therefore mouldiness within the wall?
Condensation on cold water pipe/s within wall therefore mould?
Wrong time of year I know but condensation of warm steamy bathroom air
within wall structuire?

Eric F

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:50:36 -0230, "Terry"
wrote:

Other suggestions.
Leak therefore mouldiness within the wall?
Condensation on cold water pipe/s within wall therefore mould?
Wrong time of year I know but condensation of warm steamy bathroom air
within wall structuire?

I spoke to other residents in my building and it appears the
plumbing backed up a few weeks ago. I have finally connected the odor
with the ongoing backups in my building. Spoke to my Condo Mgt, they
said they'd "look into it". Not good enough.
I'm having the Health Dept come over tommorow. The scattered toilet
paper on the outside of the building speaks volumes.
Thanks for the help.

Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Wood Floor in Bathroom Rob Gray Home Repair 5 February 23rd 04 04:28 AM
bathroom lighting electrics question Ray Holden UK diy 1 February 19th 04 09:25 AM
Ventilation Problem in Bathroom Paula Home Ownership 5 October 11th 03 08:29 AM