Kyle Boatright

Default White Ceiling

Any suggestions for improving my ceiling painting technique? I painted the
living room ceiling last night, and you can see slightly different shades
where (I assume) different amounts of paint were applied. Personally, I
thought I did a wonderful job of evening it out, but the bright lights and
eyeballs don't lie..

One real problem I had was figuring out what had and hadn't been painted.
It was very difficult seeing the line between the fresh (wet) paint and
adjacent areas which hadn't been painted...

KB

John Gilmer

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Any suggestions for improving my ceiling painting technique? I painted

the
living room ceiling last night, and you can see slightly different shades
where (I assume) different amounts of paint were applied. Personally, I
thought I did a wonderful job of evening it out, but the bright lights and
eyeballs don't lie..

That's why most folks end up putting on more than one coat of paint.

A "pro" will often step back from his work to check to ensure that he hasn't
"missed" anything.

That said, if you have sufficient paint to "cover" then extra paint just
doesn't make any difference. It's quite likely you are using cheap paint
that doesn't cover well.

One real problem I had was figuring out what had and hadn't been painted.
It was very difficult seeing the line between the fresh (wet) paint and
adjacent areas which hadn't been painted...

Again, "pros" have techniques they used routinely to ensure they "cover"
each section before they move on. They "know" how a roller or brush
"feels" and looks when it needs more paint. That's one of the reasons
pros are from 2 to 3 times as productive as DIYers.

Banty

In article , John Gilmer says...

[...]

Ah, but interior painting is one trade that I could pick up that knowing and
feeling, and get results that wallpaper professionals and contractors have
assumed were professional. It does take a patience and an enjoyment of the
'zen' of it that a lot of people don't have. And, as you say, a willingness to
spend a coupla extra bucks on decent paint (which is, in turn, more pleasant to
paint with, making it more enjoyable for the DIYer, etc.)

Banty

Buck Turgidson

Hold up alight and shine the beam across the ceiling surface to show
irregularities.

dadiOH

Kyle Boatright wrote:
Any suggestions for improving my ceiling painting technique? I
painted the living room ceiling last night, and you can see
slightly different shades where (I assume) different amounts of
paint were applied. Personally, I thought I did a wonderful job of
evening it out, but the bright lights and eyeballs don't lie..

Set up a light ahead of where you are painting so you can see the sheen of
the wet paint. No sheen = no paint.
__________________

One real problem I had was figuring out what had and hadn't been
painted. It was very difficult seeing the line between the fresh
(wet) paint and adjacent areas which hadn't been painted...

One manufacturer (don't recall which) now makes a ceiling paint that is
light blue when wet but dries white. That would be handy!

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

SQLit

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Any suggestions for improving my ceiling painting technique? I painted

the
living room ceiling last night, and you can see slightly different shades
where (I assume) different amounts of paint were applied. Personally, I
thought I did a wonderful job of evening it out, but the bright lights and
eyeballs don't lie..

One real problem I had was figuring out what had and hadn't been painted.
It was very difficult seeing the line between the fresh (wet) paint and
adjacent areas which hadn't been painted...

KB

I put two coats on the ceiling of my last home and thought all was good. I
had scraped off the pop corn and had an contractor spray the ceiling with
texture. Never looked right. The contractor had floated all of the joints
on the ceiling and with a light they looked flat. Just before I sold the
home I hired an painter. He used an large nap roller and it still took him 3
coats to cover. I'll estimate that he used 15 gallons of paint on 1000
square feet. When the light was just right I could still see the seams. Of
course I had lived there so long that I knew where they were anyway.

good luck

---

Kyle Boatright

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
Any suggestions for improving my ceiling painting technique? I painted
the living room ceiling last night, and you can see slightly different
shades where (I assume) different amounts of paint were applied.
Personally, I thought I did a wonderful job of evening it out, but the
bright lights and eyeballs don't lie..

One real problem I had was figuring out what had and hadn't been painted.
It was very difficult seeing the line between the fresh (wet) paint and
adjacent areas which hadn't been painted...

KB

As it turns out, I now believe (after the second coat of paint) that most,
maybe all, of the shading variations are due to minor differences in the
ceiling's texture. The variations are visible in direct side light, not in
diffuse light. Even though the ceiling has a smooth finish, there are
sections that are smoother than others, probably due to nail pop repairs,
plumbing rennovations, etc. that have been made in the 35 years since the
house was built...

Thanks for everyone's input. As someone suggested, I used side light to
help see the line between fresh (wet) paint and adjoining dry areas. That
was a very helpful.

KB