Doug Kanter

Default Did I Fix My Furnace?????

My new house has a 6 month old Goodman 92% HE furnace. A couple of days ago,
it began cycling in an odd way. It would begin with the normal warmup phase
(whatever that is), go to the next stage where it's actually blowing heat
through the ducts, but afterward, the smaller warmup motor would continue
running for between 5 and 20 minutes. Other times, the warmup stage would go
on for 15 minutes BEFORE heat began blowing, and sometimes it would never
reach the true heating stage.

By the way, when I say "warmup phase", I don't mean there's a flame yet. I'm
referring (perhaps incorrectly) to the stage where the thing is checking for
proper ventilation or whatever it's doing.

ANYWAY.....my neighbor's car alarm went off at 3:30 AM (the tenth time since
this morning), and since nobody in my house is up watching TV, it's very
quiet. The furnace began doing it's odd thing again, so I went down in the
basement to curse at it. Because the house is quiet, I heard something
interesting. Standing right under the PVC vent pipe, I heard what sounded
like water - about as much as you'd hear if you were in the basement as the
last 3 seconds of water drained out of the bath tub. "WTF?", I said to
myself. I looked up and noticed that the installer had nailed a pipe hanger
in such a way that the thing had come loose, leaving the 15 ft span of PVC
with a downward bow in the middle. I went upstairs, had a few pieces of
fresh pineapple, went down to the cellar again, pushed up on the pipe to
straighten it, heard water head toward the outside, and voila! The furnace
has cycled normally 5 times so far.

Was collected moisture in the pipe preventing the furnace from being
satisfied with the venting?

Or was the pineapple a factor? On the next episode of Nova.....fruit and
appliances....what science doesn't know yet.

Dr. Hardcrab

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
[...]

It depends: Was it a Dole or a Del Monte pineapple?

Jamie

I know the feeling.. I've done at least $2,000 worth of work on my central
A/C in the four years after it was professionally installed (based on quotes
I got from people to fix the screw-ups)... constructing an air intake that
wasn't way undersized (which may have been responsible for a compressor
failure after three years), replacing the plenum with one that actually fits
over the outlet without a 1" gap, balancing the air flow, etc.. still
considering redoing some of the other ductwork.

Over the years, with very few exceptions I've found that in order to hire
someone to do major work you've got to watch them the whole time. At which
point, of course, you are taking your own time off work and you might as
well just be your own contractor or do it yourself.

No offense intended to the folks out here who take pride in their work and
do a good job, I respect you. I just haven't found too many in Washington
DC. And I'm not just hiring the cheapest guy I can find, I always research
first using Consumer Checkbook, get referalls, whenever possible.

"Joe Fabeitz" wrote in message
. ..
Just another example of a "professional" screwing it up and the home owner
paying the price.

Doug Kanter

Sounds familiar. The guy just got done looking at my situation. This is a
company I used for 20 years in my first home, not the guy who installed the
furnace in the current house. He simply opened the manual and pointed out
about 10 mistakes the installer made. He fixed the two most likely problems
and said "Let's see how this works before we spend any more of your money".
That's why I keep using this company.

The founder is now 80-something years old, but when I had my first house, he
was a great help. I had an ancient furnace which had a relay that was
impossible to find. The relay used to stick, which kept the fan running
after the heating cycle was over. He came over and showed me how to clean
the contacts with emery paper. Next time it happened, I called him and he
reminded me that he'd taught me what to do. He said he'd feel guilty sending
a guy out for something so easy. Finally, when I wanted central air, we
replaced the furnace. He stopped by while his guys were working on it and
drove them friggin' nuts with details, but they smiled through it all. One
of them was the guy who came today. It's a pleasure to have that kind of
continuity with a service company.

"Jamie" wrote in message
[...]

willshak

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

It was the neighbor's car alarm that was loosening the pipe hanger. It
finally let go after the last time.
Whenever his car alarm goes off, go down to the basement and tighten the
hanger. Then throw a brick through one of his car windows.
Doug Kanter

"willshak" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

If I say "throw a brick", people say I'm nuts. But, it sounds normal to me.
Actually, the matter has been discussed with him. Tonight, I'll call the
cops and tell them I'm VERY angry and going to his house. "Can you get there
before I do?" That sort of thing.

willshak

Doug Kanter wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Every time the car alarm goes off, and I mean EVERY TIME, call the cops
and report the car alarm going off. Call from a phone where they can
hear the alarm in the background, so they will know you're not making it up.
After the cops answer the call a few times at 3 in the morning, they
might get a little testy with the owner.
Where I used to live, there was a local ordinance for alarms. Whenever
there was an alarm requiring police response that turned out to be
false, there was a fine assessed.
Doug Kanter

"willshak" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

A mechanic friend tells me that in most cases, it's a 5 minute job to adjust
factory alarms. The owners are just too friggin' lazy to get it done. And,
god forbid they should read the instructions.

willshak

Doug Kanter wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Some people have their car alarms set so that even someone leaning on it
will set off the alarm. A small gust of wind moving the car may set it
off. Ever been to a fireworks show and hear all the car alarms going off
with the big blasts?
ClaudCar

OK NOW I am unclear - was it the Del Monte pineapple that caused the PVC
pipe to collect water? Or did the car alarm cause the eating of the
pineapple? And is the furnace problem actually fixed, as we all now know
how the car alarm problem will be fixed? !
______________________
Claudia
Totus Tuus
[...]

Doug Kanter

Well....let's see.....

1) Car alarm woke me up.
2) Realized I was hungry and craving pineapple for some reason.
3) Found none, but remembered my GF had just bought a few slices of fresh
stuff. While in basement, heard odd watery sounds from furnace exhaust.
4) Munched pineapple because furnace problems were making me nervous, and
pineapple is better than smoking, which I'm trying to quit.
If you can assemble cause & effect from this, my hat's off to you. Just keep
in mind that it was 3:30 AM when this so-called thinking process was going
on. :-)

"ClaudCar" wrote in message
[...]

Tekkie

Doug Kanter posted for all of us....=20

Well....let's see.....
=20
1) Car alarm woke me up.
2) Realized I was hungry and craving pineapple for some reason.
3) Found none, but remembered my GF had just bought a few slices of fresh
stuff. While in basement, heard odd watery sounds from furnace exhaust.
4) Munched pineapple because furnace problems were making me nervous, and
pineapple is better than smoking, which I'm trying to quit.
If you can assemble cause & effect from this, my hat's off to you. Just k=

eep
in mind that it was 3:30 AM when this so-called thinking process was goin=

on. :-)
=20

I woulda just taken a mega-pee=A9 and gone back to bed...
--=20
Tekkie

Stormin Mormon

Very possible. In the warmup phase, one of the several things that the
furnace does is try to be sure that there is air blowing through the PVC
pipe.

I hope you redid the hanger, so that it isn't low in the middle like that.

Please remit $48.50 for consultation.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus