Doug Kanter

Sounds familiar. The guy just got done looking at my situation. This is a
company I used for 20 years in my first home, not the guy who installed the
furnace in the current house. He simply opened the manual and pointed out
about 10 mistakes the installer made. He fixed the two most likely problems
and said "Let's see how this works before we spend any more of your money".
That's why I keep using this company.

The founder is now 80-something years old, but when I had my first house, he
was a great help. I had an ancient furnace which had a relay that was
impossible to find. The relay used to stick, which kept the fan running
after the heating cycle was over. He came over and showed me how to clean
the contacts with emery paper. Next time it happened, I called him and he
reminded me that he'd taught me what to do. He said he'd feel guilty sending
a guy out for something so easy. Finally, when I wanted central air, we
replaced the furnace. He stopped by while his guys were working on it and
drove them friggin' nuts with details, but they smiled through it all. One
of them was the guy who came today. It's a pleasure to have that kind of
continuity with a service company.

"Jamie" wrote in message
I know the feeling.. I've done at least $2,000 worth of work on my central
A/C in the four years after it was professionally installed (based on

quotes
I got from people to fix the screw-ups)... constructing an air intake that
wasn't way undersized (which may have been responsible for a compressor
failure after three years), replacing the plenum with one that actually

fits
over the outlet without a 1" gap, balancing the air flow, etc.. still
considering redoing some of the other ductwork.

Over the years, with very few exceptions I've found that in order to hire
someone to do major work you've got to watch them the whole time. At which
point, of course, you are taking your own time off work and you might as
well just be your own contractor or do it yourself.

No offense intended to the folks out here who take pride in their work and
do a good job, I respect you. I just haven't found too many in Washington
DC. And I'm not just hiring the cheapest guy I can find, I always

research
first using Consumer Checkbook, get referalls, whenever possible.

"Joe Fabeitz" wrote in message
. ..
Just another example of a "professional" screwing it up and the home

owner
paying the price.