Default COULD YOU LIVE THERE ??

We were discussing the high cost of housing.
I "brain-stormed"....
Buy a lot, have a ( 4 car? ) garage erected on it.
Live in that !

First response was; "You'd never get an Occupancy Permit".

I realize you'd need a sink, toilet.... electric service.
Much else ?
Hell... we do with a helluva lot less out camping.

What is this "Occupancy Permit" ?
Could a township require certain minimal living amenities ?
Could it extend to windows ? heating ? etc. etc...

Could you live in a garage ?
rj
SQLit

"RJ" wrote in message

We were discussing the high cost of housing.
I "brain-stormed"....
Buy a lot, have a ( 4 car? ) garage erected on it.
Live in that !

First response was; "You'd never get an Occupancy Permit".

I realize you'd need a sink, toilet.... electric service.
Much else ?
Hell... we do with a helluva lot less out camping.

What is this "Occupancy Permit" ?
Could a township require certain minimal living amenities ?
Could it extend to windows ? heating ? etc. etc...

Could you live in a garage ?
rj

Better look into local laws before you try this. Years ago people would
build basements and then move in. Mostly rural Midwestern places outside of
city jurisdictions.
Electric service will not be much of a trick. Most utilities will set an
service at the drop of a hat. Here abouts your required to have automatic
heating and cooling. No wood burning fireplaces as a primary source. The
biggest stick that they have is the plumbing issue.

---

Stormin Mormon

Someone told me years ago that after world war two, that two car garages
were selling rapidly. Someone researched, and found folks living in them.

Four cars? That's spacious!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RJ" wrote in message

We were discussing the high cost of housing.
I "brain-stormed"....
Buy a lot, have a ( 4 car? ) garage erected on it.
Live in that !

First response was; "You'd never get an Occupancy Permit".

I realize you'd need a sink, toilet.... electric service.
Much else ?
Hell... we do with a helluva lot less out camping.

What is this "Occupancy Permit" ?
Could a township require certain minimal living amenities ?
Could it extend to windows ? heating ? etc. etc...

Could you live in a garage ?
rj

HeatMan

"RJ" wrote in message

We were discussing the high cost of housing.
I "brain-stormed"....
Buy a lot, have a ( 4 car? ) garage erected on it.
Live in that !

First response was; "You'd never get an Occupancy Permit".

I realize you'd need a sink, toilet.... electric service.
Much else ?
Hell... we do with a helluva lot less out camping.

What is this "Occupancy Permit" ?
Could a township require certain minimal living amenities ?
Could it extend to windows ? heating ? etc. etc...

Could you live in a garage ?
rj

My in-laws did for about 2 years.

The local DOT kicked them out of their house (and paid them for it) so the
road could be widened. The couldn't decide on a final plan for the new
house, so they built a 3 car garage. It has 200 amp service and a complete
bathroom. As soon as they got the 'CO' and could get the power turned on,
they moved in. The county probably didn't know or care.

First response was; "You'd never get an Occupancy Permit".

I realize you'd need a sink, toilet.... electric service.
Much else ?
Hell... we do with a helluva lot less out camping.

What is this "Occupancy Permit" ?
Could a township require certain minimal living amenities ?

A town *CAN* require all kinds of bizzare things.

If you're regulated at all, you will
generally, need hot and cold running water,
a source of heat, insulated walls, a stove of some
sort, a shower or bath, a toilet, provision for
natural and/or artificial light and ventilation,
an electrical system that meet certain specifications*,
and frequently some minimum square footage, which
will vary by location but is unlikely to be less than 700sqft.

The most expensive and time consuming issue is probably
getting a legal septic systems put in, which requires permits,
and is the mechanism by which many municipalities regulate
their growth.

Other than that, there's no particular reason that you
can't just live in a giant studio apartment...

* The electrical code (NEC) wants you
to have a least 1 outlet within 6 feet of every point
along the wall, A light source of some kind that's
operated by a switch that you can reach from the
main door, 2:20-amp circuts with GFCI protected
outlets on the kitchen countertops, with no space more than
2' from an outlet. 1:20 amp circut with GFCI protected
outlets serving the bathroom, and, if you have them,
separate dedicated circuts for each of: the refridgerator,
the furnace, and (I think) the well pump.

Bedrooms (anywhere that people are going to sleep
regularly), need to have a second "means of egress"
which is usually a window big enough and low enough
to crawl out, and for places more modern than
1999, AFCI protected circuts for anyplace people
are going to sleep.

I dunno why you'd have a "garage" erected to live in
when it's not particularly harder or more expensive
to build a house than a garage, though. (well, except
that garages don't typically have plumbing).

--Goedjn

I dunno why you'd have a "garage" erected to live in
when it's not particularly harder or more expensive
to build a house than a garage, though. (well, except
that garages don't typically have plumbing).

--Goedjn

Just a long evening, and nothing better to talk about.

Actually, my first choice would be a mobile home.
( now, they're "manufactured homes" )

They're about the only affordable housing for
low-income folks.

rj
MUADIB®

Could you live in a garage ?
rj

Rj, It is not at all uncommon , in my are, for folks who have hangars
(for Aircraft) to build an entire two story house inside the hangar
and live there. You already have an address, and need everything to
house an airplane that you need for people...........Kinda.

Some smaller airfields, individually owned have many residents backed
up to the property, thus allowing the arrangements.

It's an idea anyway.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html