Dave

Default Brick/mortar repair

I have a brick entryway that appears to have had a new door put in or
some kind work above the main entrance where they either replaced or
repaired the brick work. However, I noticed that there is mortar
missing between the middle 4 bricks of layers 2 and 3.

I have some quikrete in the garage...would that suffice? Or should I
use another mortar mixture?

Thanks,
Dave
Art

It is a weep hole and should be there. Also should be above each
rectangular window and at the top of your foundation walls. Hopefully there
is flashing in there too. Visit www.bia.org if you want to learn about
brick walls.

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
I have a brick entryway that appears to have had a new door put in or
some kind work above the main entrance where they either replaced or
repaired the brick work. However, I noticed that there is mortar
missing between the middle 4 bricks of layers 2 and 3.

I have some quikrete in the garage...would that suffice? Or should I
use another mortar mixture?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave

"Art" wrote in message link.net...
It is a weep hole and should be there. Also should be above each
rectangular window and at the top of your foundation walls. Hopefully there
is flashing in there too. Visit www.bia.org if you want to learn about
brick walls.

Art,
I've looked through some of the literature on the site you mentioned
(thank you), but am a bit confused. This opening extends about 36
inches horizontally (which is wider than what I saw on the web
site...although maybe I haven't seen the correct document yet). It
also appears that at one time, someone tried caulking it as there are
remnants (I was able to get up on the ladder to look) of what looks
like brittle caulk.

Should a weep hole be that wide?

Thank you,
Dave
Art

The site is very clear once you get into it. What do you want to know?
Basically if you study the site you will know if you are getting a good
masonry job. Most people don't. A 20 year old wall just fell down in
Raleigh, NC? Why? Because of inadequate ties between the brick and frame.

"Pennsylvania Lady" wrote in message
m...
(Dave) wrote in message

Should a weep hole be that wide?

I wanted to post about repairing the exterior brick surface of my
fireplace. I spent at least 45 minutes on the bia.org site, which is
really way too complicated and with too commercial an agenda for an
amateur to profit from. (This site has been recommended on this
newsgroup often.)

I think the gentleman who always posts with the site URL is obviously
(lucky for him!) a professional; DIYers need much simpler, illustrated
solutions--and more easily searchable sites.

Art

No it is not a weephole. Have to say I am stumped on this one. Do you
see any steel in there? I wonder if the door was replaced with a shorter
door and there is a steel lentil still in there for the old door height.
Maybe probe with a magnet and see if an inch back whether it is steel the
entire length.

Or maybe they had some decorative trim in there that slipped into the slot.

By the way, you need to try to match mortar and sand color or your repair
will look like a repair. Depending on the age of the house this may be an
issue for you. Mortar color varies by brand and type. Sand has infinite
varieties. There are masons who speciailize in small repairs and you might
want to consider having one look at it.

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
"Art" wrote in message

link.net...
It is a weep hole and should be there. Also should be above each
rectangular window and at the top of your foundation walls. Hopefully

there
is flashing in there too. Visit www.bia.org if you want to learn about
brick walls.

Art,
I've looked through some of the literature on the site you mentioned
(thank you), but am a bit confused. This opening extends about 36
inches horizontally (which is wider than what I saw on the web
site...although maybe I haven't seen the correct document yet). It
also appears that at one time, someone tried caulking it as there are
remnants (I was able to get up on the ladder to look) of what looks
like brittle caulk.

Should a weep hole be that wide?

Thank you,
Dave

Dave

"Art" wrote in message nk.net...
No it is not a weephole. Have to say I am stumped on this one. Do you
see any steel in there? I wonder if the door was replaced with a shorter
door and there is a steel lentil still in there for the old door height.
Maybe probe with a magnet and see if an inch back whether it is steel the
entire length.

Or maybe they had some decorative trim in there that slipped into the slot.

By the way, you need to try to match mortar and sand color or your repair
will look like a repair. Depending on the age of the house this may be an
issue for you. Mortar color varies by brand and type. Sand has infinite
varieties. There are masons who speciailize in small repairs and you might
want to consider having one look at it.

There is a plate above the door. However,I need to make a correction
from my first post (when I posted, I wasn't looking at it), the "seam"
is between the plate and the *first* row of bricks and extends 6
bricks wide (laid horizontally that covers the top of the door). So
from from the door (top down)...

- row of bricks
- row of what appears to be something that was sandwiched in between
(the front of which looks like caulk, the "inside" behind the caulk
looks like crumbled brick)
- a metal shelf

The separation appears to extend in a stair-like pattern on either
side of this 6-brick gap and the 2nd layer is a row of bricks placed
vertically.

I am going to try to get a picture this weekend that I can post or
email.

Thanks,
Dave