Dave

"Art" wrote in message link.net...
It is a weep hole and should be there. Also should be above each
rectangular window and at the top of your foundation walls. Hopefully there
is flashing in there too. Visit www.bia.org if you want to learn about
brick walls.

Art,
I've looked through some of the literature on the site you mentioned
(thank you), but am a bit confused. This opening extends about 36
inches horizontally (which is wider than what I saw on the web
site...although maybe I haven't seen the correct document yet). It
also appears that at one time, someone tried caulking it as there are
remnants (I was able to get up on the ladder to look) of what looks
like brittle caulk.

Should a weep hole be that wide?

Thank you,
Dave