Art

Default Maytag Neptune lawsuit

Just receive notice of class action settlement for Maytag Neptune front
loaders.
After reading it several times, seems to me that the settlement is unfair
and people should object to it.

For one thing, at least until recently, if you called Maytag and asked about
a mildew smell they made all the specified repairs for free, except perhaps
the wax motor lock, which they just protected from damage with tape.

For another, as of last month, no new repairs are covered. And if you are
living with a smelly machine right now, looks like they won't begin fixing
them until 2005 because that is when the paperwork is due in. So what are
you supposed to do till then?

Plus the lawyers get $8 million, yet there is only a $2 million fund for
cash settlements. Yes there are non-cash reimbursements available but this
is obscene.

Seems to me the best thing to do is to attempt to undermine this deal and
convince Maytag not to buckle. Their policy of repairing the machines has
been fair in my experience. You have until early November to object to the
deal. Certainly consider doing so.

IQMGT

"Art" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

Apparently if you haven't had a repair before the settlement date.
August 9, 2004 I think, you just need to call up Maytag and schedule
the free repair. You only need to send in a claim to recover costs
for repairs made before that date. That's what we did last week. The
reason we called was the washer would no longer enter the spin cycle
or drain. They replaced our moldy boot, circuit board, and motor.

IQMGT

IQMGT wrote:

[...]

Apparently, even with the lawsuit against Maytag and an agreement in place where they supposedly HAVE TO attempt to fix the
unit at least once as part of the court settlement, they seemingly are grasping at straws looking for excuses to refuse to
honor the settlement.

I had called Maytag's toll free number ( 800 462-9824) and spoke with Supervisor Heather Redd, who in turn talked to Dale
Reader, Director of Consumer Affairs. The Director refused to speak with me!

I explained the problem with it was the same everyone else was having (failed functions associated with a "wax motor" which
burned out components on the circuit board).

It seems all the electronically controlled Neptune units are lemons. Its design is flawed and it stinks - because the door
seal collects mold. Not only that, but there has reportedly been a fix with the circuit board that actually leaves the real
problem in place.

Do I need to see a lawyer and find out if I should exclude myself from this lawsuit? The thought process goes something like
this: I presume it may be easier to get another attorney involved now that the groundwork is done(?). I sure would
appreciate some opinions on this!

In any event, I wrote the court regarding procedure for reporting non-compliance, and also asked the attorneys involved for
the plaintiff to contact me. The deadline is early November.

All I know is I paid next to nothing for the last washing machine (a Kenmore which was over 10 years old) and kept it running
for some 20 odd years with about $40 in repair parts. Now I own one that cost me about the same as 20 used units, and it
appears I would have been better off keeping the old one.

Sorry so sour. Obviously I need to regain my composure and figure out what it's going to take to force Maytag to do the
right thing.

Abe

[...]

------------------------
Hi there jdworley,

The line length in your posts is set very long - making it necessary
to scroll right to see much of each line of text. Would you please set
your newsreader to wrap lines at 80 characters? It will make reading
your posts much easier. Thanks very much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Neptune lawsuit - OPINIONS PLEASE?!

replying to jdworley, Bonniesilveria wrote:
My maytag wash machine won't spin or drain n the door wont latch. Been going
on for 2 yrs off on. Smells moldy too

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-553928-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-5, Bonniesilveria wrote:
replying to jdworley, Bonniesilveria wrote:
My maytag wash machine won't spin or drain n the door wont latch. Been going
on for 2 yrs off on. Smells moldy too

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-553928-.htm

I'd start with the door latch problem. They have an interlock switch
and it's not going to do much when it thinks the door is open. If it
closes completely but won't latch, did you try getting it to drain/spin
while firmly holding the door closed? Moldy smell is usually from the
door gaskets, where water remains in the folds and does not dry out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 3 Feb 2019 09:05:56 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-5, Bonniesilveria wrote:
replying to jdworley, Bonniesilveria wrote:
My maytag wash machine won't spin or drain n the door wont latch. Been going
on for 2 yrs off on. Smells moldy too

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-553928-.htm

I'd start with the door latch problem. They have an interlock switch
and it's not going to do much when it thinks the door is open. If it
closes completely but won't latch, did you try getting it to drain/spin
while firmly holding the door closed? Moldy smell is usually from the
door gaskets, where water remains in the folds and does not dry out.

Aha. Another advantage of top-loaders. No gaskets with folds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 11:44:07 AM UTC-5, Bonniesilveria wrote:
replying to jdworley, Bonniesilveria wrote:
My maytag wash machine won't spin or drain n the door wont latch.
Been going
on for 2 yrs off on. Smells moldy too

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...it-553928-.htm

I'd start with the door latch problem.Â* They have an interlock switch
and it's not going to do much when it thinks the door is open.Â* If it
closes completely but won't latch, did you try getting it to drain/spin
while firmly holding the door closed?Â* Moldy smell is usually from the
door gaskets, where water remains in the folds and does not dry out.

Aha.Â* Another advantage of top-loaders.Â* No gaskets with folds.

I have a 5-year-old Whirlpool Duet front-loader with steam/sanitize
cycle, no mold smell.

I replaced my 2 year old front loader (GE) with a top loader and
couldn't be happier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I would not buy a front loader and got a Maytag top loader several years
ago. Never liked the idea of a front loader having to rely on seals
holding up. Like myself, everything that gets old, gets leaky
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

ago.Â* Never liked the idea of a front loader having to rely on seals
holding up.Â* Like myself, everything that gets old, gets leaky

Bought a new machine about 7 weeks ago. Top loader, same as always.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I would not buy a front loader and got a Maytag top loader several years ago.Â* Never liked the idea of a front loader having to rely on seals holding up.Â* Like myself, everything that gets old, gets leaky

Bought a new machine about 7 weeks ago.Â* Top loader, same as always.

Used to have top loaders but couldn't get the california king bed comforters and mattress pads in them...so we switched to a front-loader.