Old June 10th 21, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 2021-06-10 12:53 p.m., charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

'expiration date' or 'expiry date'

extension date or extended date

Old June 10th 21, 09:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On 2021-06-10 1:06 p.m., gareth evans wrote:
On 10/06/2021 19:23, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:54:19 +0100, gareth evans, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

What about "Don't feed the troll", troll-feeding asshole?

You are one sick kiddie.

I wonder if it is possible for the community of contributors
to this NG* to get you shut down on the simple basis of
your repeatedly exceeding the Breidbart limit?

start a petition
Old June 10th 21, 09:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).

Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.

My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.

It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.

Havben't noticed.

Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".
Old June 10th 21, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

what's the difference i'm not here to care about what you like

Old June 10th 21, 09:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.

Nar, not that one. Said when telling someone to do something
immediately. Still cant think of it but that's just my dyslexia.

Old June 10th 21, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 3:01:13 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.

I don't think he means "Yankee" the way we mean "Yankee".

Yeah, I mean americans of all types.

He'll probably think of it at some point and enlighten us.

Yeah, likely when I hear it again. I'm still watching the
Forensic Files and its sure to show up there sometime.

Old June 10th 21, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/10/2021 3:53 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

'expiration date' or 'expiry date'

OK, I'll bite. What is wrong with that commonly used phrase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expiration_date

Old June 10th 21, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:06:18 +0100, gareth evans, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

What about "Don't feed the troll", troll-feeding asshole?

You are one sick kiddie.

I wonder if it is possible for the community of contributors
to this NG to get you shut down on the simple basis of
your repeatedly exceeding the Breidbart limit?

You don't have the slight feeling that it's actually the clinically insane
trolling attention whore and YOU, his troll-feeding senile idiot, who are
the real sickos here? No? VBG
Old June 10th 21, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Rod Speed wrote:
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park

Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.

'expiration date' or 'expiry date'

OK, I'll bite. What is wrong with that commonly used phrase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expiration_date

why not use expiry? It's shorter.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old June 10th 21, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:23:56 -0400, micky mouse, the notorious,
troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, blathered again:

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".

I especially don't like trolling assholes and their troll-feedings senile
assholes, such as you are, micky mouse!