Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Samsung Smart TV no longer defaults to HDMI input.

I have a Samsung Smart TV (UN50NU6950FXZA) which just started
acting up. When powering on it no longer defaults to the HDMI input
coming from the cable DVR box. The TV now defaults to the Samsung
TV Plus app*, which a set of free TV channels provided by Samsung. I
have to manually switch the source to HDMI if I turn the TV on.

*Well, it sort of defaults to the TV plus app. It shows the TV Plus logo in
the upper corner and it displays the name/number of the channel that
it was last tuned to, but it doesn't actually display the channel. The
screen just goes blank after a couple of seconds. If I select a different
channel, it will then display it. When it first powers on it's kind of in a
TV Plus-esque limbo.

I called Samsung and they tried to blame my cable provider's equipment.
When I told them that I tried both a different HDMI cable and even a
different cable set-top box, they were stuck. The only other suggestion
they had was to try a factory reset. Great, now I'll have to reload all my
apps, hoping I remember what password I used years ago, etc.

I'm really just venting but also sort of hoping that someone has other
suggestions to try before I do the factory reset. No, there is no "Default
Power On Source" that needs to be selected in the settings. If there is a
signal at the HDMI port, it's supposed to default to that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 5:37:28 PM UTC-4, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

I found a possible solution but I can't test it tonight. I need to be careful
because it can apparently turn my TV into a 50" brick.

It seems that there may be a service menu built into the TV where you can
actually force the default power on source to be an HDMI port.

Getting to the service menu:

https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=20607

Once the

https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=23767 (Secret Menu section)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 17:10:44 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
wrote:

[...]

Just a thought - is the TV picking up a wifi source that wasn't
there - before this problem started ?
I'd probably do a little trial & error before trying the service
menu .. maybe disable the wifi ; shut everything down & re-start
? the idea being that it will revert to HDMI as default ?
Good luck - let us know how it turns out.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 4:37:28 PM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

Anything here useful?
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/HD-and-UHD-TVs/un50nu6950fxza-TV-forces-me-to-reset-network-settings-every-time/td-p/1130426
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08 Jun 2021, Marilyn Manson wrote
in alt.home.repair:

[...]

My Samsung TV remembers its most recent input and will return to it
when you turn it on. This seems like the most logical way for it to
work.

The TV has a screen where you can set it to automatically install
software updates, or to check manually for updates. Maybe there's a new
update that will fix a known problem.

I wouldn't hesitate much to do the factory reset. I only have a couple
of apps that require passwords and I know them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Jun 2021 21:12:00 -0400, Nil
wrote:

[...]

I think you'd lose your Favourites also - for me that's 4 sets -
mine, my wife's, Kids, Sports.. ~ 30 minutes of clicking
to get them all re-set ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil writes:
On 08 Jun 2021, Marilyn Manson wrote
in alt.home.repair:

I'm really just venting but also sort of hoping that someone has
other suggestions to try before I do the factory reset. No, there
is no "Default Power On Source" that needs to be selected in the
settings. If there is a signal at the HDMI port, it's supposed to
default to that.

My Samsung TV remembers its most recent input and will return to it
when you turn it on. This seems like the most logical way for it to
work.

Many "smart" TV's support CEC device control. If enabled on the
TV, it will automatically switch HDMI ports if or when the device
attached to that port is powered on or changes state.

There is usually a menu item on the TV to disable CEC control either
globally or on a per-HDMI-port basis.

This is usually the cause of unexpected HDMI port switches by the TV.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../7199917?hl=en
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/8/2021 5:37 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
[...]

Maybe try unplugging power for 60 seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09 Jun 2021, (Scott Lurndal) wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Many "smart" TV's support CEC device control. If enabled on the
TV, it will automatically switch HDMI ports if or when the device
attached to that port is powered on or changes state.

There is usually a menu item on the TV to disable CEC control either
globally or on a per-HDMI-port basis.

This is usually the cause of unexpected HDMI port switches by the TV.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../7199917?hl=en

Interesting! My TV does, in fact, have a setting to globally turn CEC
on/off. It's actually turned on now, but I don't have any devices
permanently connected to it to control. I've seen the setting before
but I didn't know what it did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My TV is hardwired via ethernet to the cable modem/router.

It doesn't matter if the modem/router is on or off or if the ethernet
cable is connected or not. It still defaults to showing the name/number
of the last TV+ station that was chosen and then the TV goes blank.

As a reminder, once the TV goes blank, I either need to switch the source
to the Cable box HDMI port or use the remote to go up or down one TV+ channel
in order to get a picture or sound. The only difference when the modem/router
is off or the ethernet cable is disconnected is that the TV, obviously, will not
display the chosen channel but it will at that point tell me the network is not
connected.

I have also disconnected all cables except for power and the cable box HDMI
cable. It still (tries to) power on to TV+.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 10:14:25 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Nil writes:
[...]

Samsung's version of CEC is Anynet+.

It was/is set to On. Turning it off made no difference so I turned it back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 1:51:56 PM UTC-4, Hal Bundy wrote:
[...]

All the basic troubleshooting steps have been taken.

- Unplugged the TV
- Rebooted the cable box
- Swapped out the cable box
- Swapped out the HDMI cable
- Turned off the cable modem/router
- Removed all cables to the TV except for power and the HDMI cable from
the cable box.

Nothing changes. TV powers on to the TV Plus app then the screen goes blank.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:29:52 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
wrote:

[...]

Disabled the TV's wifi ?
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There is no specific setting to disable the TV's WiFi. In the Network Settings window
you choose Wireless or Wired. If you choose Wireless, you see the standard list
of nearby WiFi networks. Choose a network and it asks for a password. If you
chose Wired, it just connects.

When I choose Wireless, it wants me to choose a network and when I choose mine,
it wants a password. That tells me that the TV is not connected to any WiFi network
at this time, just the wired network.

https://i.imgur.com/v6r8BUr.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My LG has " Soft App ON / OFF " which seems
to enable / disable _multiple_ wifi ..

.... in case your neighbour's wifi or something
has interferred with your original start-up HDMI
source .. just a wild ass guess ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't see how WiFi is involved here. The TV+ app comes in
via a wired connection. There is no indication that WiFi is even
being used. As I posted before...

https://i.imgur.com/v6r8BUr.jpg

That screen appears during initial set-up and anytime that you
review the network settings.

I have tried the Reset Network option and re-chosen Wired to no avail.

I looked for a firmware update, but the TV says it's Up To Date.

In addition, I just did a factory reset and it didn't change anything,
except of course to remove any apps that I had added.

Still defaults to TV+ but doesn't really display the channel until the
channel is changed up or down. Same as before.

After the Factory Reset was done, the Start Setup utility suggests that
you connect all cables and power up all devices, which in my case is the
ethernet, HDMI1 for the cable box and HDMI2 for the Chromecast. The
setup utility recognizes all devices, but still defaults to TV+ (ethernet).
Swapping HDMI ports doesn't help. Connecting *only* the cable box
HDMI to either port doesn't help. It still defaults to TV+ but obviously can't
display anything (except the previous channel name/channel number)
because there is no network connection.

Unfortunately, there is never an option to set the default input device.
It defaulted to the cable box for years...until it didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This TV is FUBAR.

I powered it on and it defaulted to TV+ with the blank screen (the same problem
that I've been chasing)

I switched the source to the cable box and got the cable box picture but no sound.
I also saw the logo for TV+ and the name/number of the previous TV+ channel
superimposed on the cable box image. That should never happen. It was another
case of the TV being caught halfway between the HDMI input and the ethernet input.

Attempting to adjust the sound with the cable remote or the TV remote didn't help.
They are both normally capable of adjusting the TV's sound in any mode.

I then hit the channel up button on the TV remote, which should do nothing
since only the cable box remote should change the channel (on the cable box)
when in cable box mode. Instead, the TV switched to TV+, changed the channel
and turned the sound on. When I changed the source back to the cable box HDMI
input, the sound now worked as expected.

Time for a new TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Tell yourself you wanted a new one anyhow.

Consumer Reports has these rated as Best Buys:

Samsung UN55RU7100 $430. 55". Rating 70
Samsung QN55Q60T $650. 55". Rating 71
Samsung UN55TU8300 $600. 55". Rating 71
Samsung QN55Q80T $1100. 55". Rating 83
Samsung QN55Q8DT $1100. 55". Rating 84
Samsung QN65Q70T $1100. 65". Rating 76
Sony XBR-65X90CH $1170. 65". Rating 74

They did mention that smart TVs track your viewing habits
and the apps you're using.
The article was updated 2/24/21

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 08:22:06 -0700 (PDT), Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 9:14:53 AM UTC-5, Marilyn Manson wrote:

Tell yourself you wanted a new one anyhow.

Consumer Reports has these rated as Best Buys:

Samsung UN55RU7100 $430. 55". Rating 70
Samsung QN55Q60T $650. 55". Rating 71
Samsung UN55TU8300 $600. 55". Rating 71
Samsung QN55Q80T $1100. 55". Rating 83
Samsung QN55Q8DT $1100. 55". Rating 84
Samsung QN65Q70T $1100. 65". Rating 76
Sony XBR-65X90CH $1170. 65". Rating 74

They did mention that smart TVs track your viewing habits
and the apps you're using.
The article was updated 2/24/21

I bought this on Amazon 3 months ago. TCL 50-inch Class 4-Series 4K UHD Smart Roku LED TV -
50S435, 2021 Model. Paid $298, but it's $348 today. I thought it would provide the
streaming advantages in case I ever decided to quit paying for cable TV.
Nice TV, but every time I turn it on I have to use the TV's remote and select the cable
input. So that's 2 remotes I have to use. Maybe there's a way to have it default but I
haven't found it. It's seems slow to change channels too but that may just be the cable
box switching to a HD channel which I haven't bothered to memorize.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 16:15:26 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

Just my 2 cents worth - the streaming option does not require
a "smart TV" - and, in my experience -
a smart TV is not the best option.
A laptop/desktop will do well - it can be an old re-furb -
and have you sitting at a familar interface - keyboard & mouse -
and have you selecting the privacy and upgrade options ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

I bought this on Amazon 3 months ago. TCL 50-inch Class 4-Series 4K UHD Smart Roku LED TV -
50S435, 2021 Model. Paid $298, but it's $348 today. I thought it would provide the
streaming advantages in case I ever decided to quit paying for cable TV.
Nice TV, but every time I turn it on I have to use the TV's remote and select the cable
input.

My TCL/Roku TVs have a setting that keeps the last input source selection on
powerup.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...put-on-roku-tv

--
Usenet: The world's first (and best) social network.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Something other than a smart TV for streaming may be more of a
technical hurdle for some than for others.

Certain members of certain families have trouble taking full advantage
of certain systems even when they are set up for ease of use and are
working perfectly.

Toss in strange (and inconsistent) issues like I'm having and certain members
of certain families will just go read a book. Heck, this thing is confusing *me*
but I can at least - eventually - get it to do what I want it to do as long as I juggle
two remotes and press the right buttons in the right sequence while facing north,
holding a dehydrated bullfrog's foot and chanting Babylonian incantations.

If certain members of certain families get told that they now need to use a
laptop to watch TV, things will not go well for certain *other* members of
certain families, if you get my drift.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 19:46:19 -0500, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

I bought this on Amazon 3 months ago. TCL 50-inch Class 4-Series 4K UHD Smart Roku LED TV -
50S435, 2021 Model. Paid $298, but it's $348 today. I thought it would provide the
streaming advantages in case I ever decided to quit paying for cable TV.
Nice TV, but every time I turn it on I have to use the TV's remote and select the cable
input.

My TCL/Roku TVs have a setting that keeps the last input source selection on
powerup.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...put-on-roku-tv

Hey, thanks. Now I can use one remote only. Mea culpa. The TV's menu has a lot of
options and I hadn't gone through them.