Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Samsung Smart TV no longer defaults to HDMI input.

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 18:04:48 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 6:44:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:29:52 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 1:51:56 PM UTC-4, Hal Bundy wrote:
On 6/8/2021 5:37 PM, Marilyn Manson wrote:
I have a Samsung Smart TV (UN50NU6950FXZA) which just started
acting up. When powering on it no longer defaults to the HDMI input
coming from the cable DVR box. The TV now defaults to the Samsung
TV Plus app*, which a set of free TV channels provided by Samsung. I
have to manually switch the source to HDMI if I turn the TV on.

*Well, it sort of defaults to the TV plus app. It shows the TV Plus logo in
the upper corner and it displays the name/number of the channel that
it was last tuned to, but it doesn't actually display the channel. The
screen just goes blank after a couple of seconds. If I select a different
channel, it will then display it. When it first powers on it's kind of in a
TV Plus-esque limbo.

I called Samsung and they tried to blame my cable provider's equipment.
When I told them that I tried both a different HDMI cable and even a
different cable set-top box, they were stuck. The only other suggestion
they had was to try a factory reset. Great, now I'll have to reload all my
apps, hoping I remember what password I used years ago, etc.

I'm really just venting but also sort of hoping that someone has other
suggestions to try before I do the factory reset. No, there is no "Default
Power On Source" that needs to be selected in the settings. If there is a
signal at the HDMI port, it's supposed to default to that.
Maybe try unplugging power for 60 seconds.

All the basic troubleshooting steps have been taken.

- Unplugged the TV
- Rebooted the cable box
- Swapped out the cable box
- Swapped out the HDMI cable
- Turned off the cable modem/router
- Removed all cables to the TV except for power and the HDMI cable from
the cable box.

Nothing changes. TV powers on to the TV Plus app then the screen goes blank.

Disabled the TV's wifi ?
John T.

There is no specific setting to disable the TV's WiFi. In the Network Settings window
you choose Wireless or Wired. If you choose Wireless, you see the standard list
of nearby WiFi networks. Choose a network and it asks for a password. If you
chose Wired, it just connects.

When I choose Wireless, it wants me to choose a network and when I choose mine,
it wants a password. That tells me that the TV is not connected to any WiFi network
at this time, just the wired network.

https://i.imgur.com/v6r8BUr.jpg

My LG has " Soft App ON / OFF " which seems
to enable / disable _multiple_ wifi ..

.... in case your neighbour's wifi or something
has interferred with your original start-up HDMI
source .. just a wild ass guess ..
John T.