Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony Bravia TV and HDMI input

My cable company is switching over to all digital and forcing the use of
a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA).

If I look at the channel on HDMI vs RF, the picture is smaller with a
large boarder around the outside.
I think the problem is in the DTA, it is a Cisco DTA 170HD.
Anyone know how to get around this?

Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 7:46:37 AM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
My cable company is switching over to all digital and forcing the use of
a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA).

If I look at the channel on HDMI vs RF, the picture is smaller with a
large boarder around the outside.
I think the problem is in the DTA, it is a Cisco DTA 170HD.
Anyone know how to get around this?

Mikek

Not sure about the adapter, but most cable channels these days are letter boxed which means borders on the top. If your Sony is set for 4:3 aspect in the HDMI input, that would give you 4 sides of black. Try putting the Sony in widescreen mode for HDMI (assuming it isn't already)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/26/2016 9:21 AM, John-Del wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 7:46:37 AM UTC-5, amdx wrote:
My cable company is switching over to all digital and forcing the use of
a Digital Transport Adapter (DTA).

If I look at the channel on HDMI vs RF, the picture is smaller with a
large boarder around the outside.
I think the problem is in the DTA, it is a Cisco DTA 170HD.
Anyone know how to get around this?

Mikek

Not sure about the adapter, but most cable channels these days are letter boxed which means borders on the top.

If your Sony is set for 4:3 aspect in the HDMI input, that would give
you 4 sides of black.

Try putting the Sony in widescreen mode for HDMI (assuming it isn't already)

Is there a separate setting for wide screen when using HDMI vs RF?
I thought RF and HDMI would be the same, ie a global setting.
To clarify, in RF mode it is full screen, switching to HDMI causes
letter box.
I'll poke around this evening to see if I can find something.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/26/2016 3:47 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

I found it! There is a screen setting in the menu of the DTA.
Set it and it's good.

Thanks, Mikek