Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating and reusing asphalt

I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that cracked off.. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted them by hand. But I dont have an old BBQ anymore and the missus refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays). I have an infrared thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect Id have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt. Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt lying around, and time is on my side.
Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 10:54:06 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that cracked off. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted them by hand. But I don’t have an old BBQ anymore and the missus refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays).

The next time she goes to spend a week at her sister's place, you know what
you need to do.

I have an infrared thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect I’d have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt. Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt lying around, and time is on my side.
Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that
cracked off. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of
aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted
them by hand. But I dont have an old BBQ anymore and the missus
refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it
would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays). I have an infrared
thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect
Id have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt.
Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch
to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt
lying around, and time is on my side. Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Ignore the Mrs. What does she know about home repairs? Does she let you
you tell her how to clean the house?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/21 1:54 PM, wrote:
I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that cracked off. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted them by hand. But I dont have an old BBQ anymore and the missus refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays). I have an infrared thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect Id have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt. Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt lying around, and time is on my side.
Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Here's a portable asphalt recycler.

For a municipal operation, looks like you need 2 guys to do the work and a half dozen supervisors to stand around with their thumbs up their asphalts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jM5srx3GK0

Maybe use the missus' KitchenAid stand mixer and heat the bowl with a propane torch?

Or maybe a cement mixer from Wuhan Harbor Freight?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-...xer-67536.html

And some heat:

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...ter-91037.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 6:35:31 AM UTC-4, Buck Fiden wrote:
On 6/7/21 1:54 PM, wrote:
[...]

It would seem to me that to make old material into decent new material would
require mixing in some new petroleum based glue that's sticky and binds it all together.
Where one would get that in small quantities, IDK. Without it, I would be skeptical
that it would work well, would be durable enough to last, but then I've never tried it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:

It would seem to me that to make old material into decent new material woul=
require mixing in some new petroleum based glue that's sticky and binds it =
all together.
Where one would get that in small quantities, IDK. Without it, I would be=
skeptical
that it would work well, would be durable enough to last, but then I've nev=
er tried it.

When they resurface asphalt roads around here, they have a train of
grinder - paver - asphalt tanker, all connected together that grind
the top three inches, add hot asphalt, and pave it right back down.

Then they put a virgin topcote on.