Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Default Removing and reusing Laminate Wood Flooring

Hi,

My wife and I have recently bought a new house which has laminate wood
flooring in most rooms. We have subsequently realised that the central
heating pipework requires replacing in several rooms.

Clearly in order to perform the work on the pipework part of the
laminate flooring will have to be lifted. We like the flooring and
think it would be a shame to lose it. The previous owner has informed
us that the laminate flooring is of the type that is reusable (from
B&Q), however, I am unsure what is the best approach for lifting the
laminate without damaging it. (Unfortunatley The previous owner could
offer us no assistance with this.)

Can anyone advise on a strategy they have used to remove and reuse
laminate and the tools that should be used?

Any web sites that could advise (with pictures too) would be helpful.

Thank you for your help from a DIY novice.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

My wife and I have recently bought a new house which has laminate wood
flooring in most rooms. We have subsequently realised that the central
heating pipework requires replacing in several rooms.

Clearly in order to perform the work on the pipework part of the
laminate flooring will have to be lifted. We like the flooring and
think it would be a shame to lose it. The previous owner has informed
us that the laminate flooring is of the type that is reusable (from
B&Q), however, I am unsure what is the best approach for lifting the
laminate without damaging it. (Unfortunatley The previous owner could
offer us no assistance with this.)

I've had to remove mine a couple of times for access below the floor. It was
not long after it had been laid so the boards were probably easier to do.

You want to start with the boards that have been laid last. Chances are it
is the boards that have been cut length wise.
Remove any beading around about them.
It would probably be easier if there were two of you.
Insert something between the row you are about to lift and the gap between
the skirting board in order to get a grip of the boards. A screw would
probably do. It is only to lift it enough so you can get your fingers in.
Lift the complete row up towards a right angle to the row the boards are
attached to.
The boards should come away when you have lifted them about 45 degrees.
As you remove a row or two you might find you have enough room to remove the
boards individually.
Also I would put a sticker on the corners of the boards before you lift them
and number them so you know the order they go back down in.
You probably don't need to number the boards that are full size and haven't
been cut but it would save any hassle in the long run.
I would personally replace the boards individually rather than in rows the
way they came up.

http://www.armstrong.com/resflram/na...icle25824.html
has a picture of a board being laid. You would just do the opposite to lift
it. i.e. lift the row to that angle and the boards should then come out.

That site also has advice about lifting boards in order to repair some.

If you google "how to install laminate flooring" chances are some of the
sites will also have sections about removing it.

I'd also buy a packet of new boards in the off chance you damage some while
lifting them. They might be reasonably solid when laid but are brittle when
loose.
I remember having to return 7 packets to B&Q after noticing they were
damaged when I got them home. I think it was me lifting them in to the car
but can't be positive.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

. . . in order to perform the work on the pipework part of the
laminate flooring will have to be lifted. We like the flooring and
think it would be a shame to lose it. The previous owner has informed
us that the laminate flooring is of the type that is reusable (from
B&Q), however, I am unsure what is the best approach for lifting the
laminate without damaging it. (Unfortunatley The previous owner could
offer us no assistance with this.)

Your decision is whether you want to learn how to do
a task requiring skill that you will never again reuse,
or whether you can find a contractor who can prove
(with documents) both that he has done this before
and that the customer was satisfied.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

What type of flooring is it? I'm guessing since you haven't mentioned
glue or nails, that you are dealing with a floating floor system. If
I'm wrong let me know as the means and methods to remove and replace
the planks is diff. for each of the above. For a floating floor, the
above post is correct, you have to start with wall and work your way a
row at a time to the area you need to get to. Normaly, one side of the
room has a full plank row which is where the installer started the room
and the other side has the rip cut where they had to cut down a plank
to fit and finish the room.Start with the ripped or cut plank. It's
best to have someone with you to help you do this...take a couple small
( 6" - 12") crow bar type tool, something that curves at at 90 degree
angle is best. Put the short end between the wall and the wood and just
a bit at a time work the entire row up, you'll have to move around to
diff. spots to achive this. Once the rip is up, you can lift the whole
row of that plank up in one shot, lift the row up to a 45 degree angle
than you kinda go up and down a little bit at that angle while you pull
at it, but don't pull too hard. Most of the floating floors don't have
wood for the tounge and grove, it's a composite mat. that breaks or
chips easy, if you break the tounge off, that board can not be used
again. I strongly recomend trying to find at least one box of the same
wood and if possible make sure it matches as dye lots and product runs
can vary even if it's the same wood and color. If you can't find any
spare or additional wood, you can try to remove the rip, but if it
doesn't seem like it's gonna come out, or you don't feel comfortable,
get a pro to do it. Any hardwood guy worth his salt can do this job
without too much difficulty.
Good Luck,
Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If it really is the click together stuff and they didn't use glue then
it comes up very easily but you need to do it working from the edge
that was layed last so that the click sections come apart properly.
Number the pieces and put them back where they came from in case the
walls aren't quite square.

If it was done properly you will need to remove the skirting boards to
expose the edges. If they used beading then just take up the beading.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Thank you to everyone who has offered their help on this topic. I will
take all your points and give it my best shot!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks,
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,free.uk.diy.home,alt.home.repair

Just a quick note to all those that helped...

I've now managed to successfully remove the laminate without damaging
it. Great!

Thank you once again for your assistance.

- Andy.