Posted to alt.home.repair
Buck Fiden Buck Fiden is offline

Default Heating and reusing asphalt

On 6/7/21 1:54 PM, wrote:
I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that cracked off. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted them by hand. But I dont have an old BBQ anymore and the missus refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays). I have an infrared thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect Id have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt. Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt lying around, and time is on my side.
Advice appreciated.
Regards,
Theodore

Here's a portable asphalt recycler.

For a municipal operation, looks like you need 2 guys to do the work and a half dozen supervisors to stand around with their thumbs up their asphalts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jM5srx3GK0

Maybe use the missus' KitchenAid stand mixer and heat the bowl with a propane torch?

Or maybe a cement mixer from Wuhan Harbor Freight?

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-1-2-...xer-67536.html

And some heat:

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...ter-91037.html