Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remote control of furnace

Last summer I spent a lot of time trying to decide on a better way to
control my furnace. I wanted to be able to turn it off without going to
the basement or the living room on a day like today, when it was in the
60's all night and will stay at 65 to 68 all day long, and to turn off
the AC on a day when it will be no more than 80 all day long.

I looked into wireless themostats. I could keep it by my bed, atlhough
they are as big as 2 decks of cards. Or ones that are controlled by a
cellphone. For that, I could use my cellphone or even, I think, my
previous cell phone with no SIM card since it could just use the wifi
iirc. Of course I'd still have to keep that phone charged and I'd have
to wait when I turned it on, and the control unit at the other end costs
money.

All choices looked inconvenient at best and not worth the money.

Finally it dawned on me, and I just interrupted the thermostat
connection at the furnace, ran a wire from the furnace up the laundry
chute and mounted a mini-toggle-switch on the metal panel that surrounds
the chute's opening in the 2nd floor hall. Works perfectly and would
have cost only $4 except I already had the wire, the switch, and the
wire-nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 07:57:35 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

Our home's thermostat is located in a logical, convenient location -
on the main floor, where we walk-by-it ~ 10 times-per-day.
I can't imagine needing an upstairs or basement control.
It has all the fancy programmability that we never use at all -
- for us - it functions like an old-style dial thermostat except
with digital read-out and control panel ...
PS : don't forget to check/replace the batteries every so often !
... before they go dead & corrode & ruin the device.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This makes no sense.

If the day is warm enough to not need the furnace, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

If the day is cool enough to not need the AC, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

Just set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature and forget about it. Sheesh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 8:37:51 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
This makes no sense.

If the day is warm enough to not need the furnace, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

If the day is cool enough to not need the AC, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

Just set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature and forget about it. Sheesh!

And what about when you forget to re-enable the thermostat, go downstairs,
figure out it feels too hot or cold and have to go back upstairs to turn it on? It's
also not just about turning it on or off. With real remote thermostat control,
you can actually adjust the thermostat. If the thermostat is set to 76, it's at 76,
but it feels too humid, you can lower it to 74. I would also bet that there will be
times when he's downstairs, the AC comes on, he decides it shouldn't, he
dials the temp up to stop it. Then later when he's upstairs flipping the switch
isn't going to do what he wants, because the thermostat was moved up to disable
the AC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 06:14:31 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

And what about when you forget to re-enable the thermostat, go downstairs,
figure out it feels too hot or cold and have to go back upstairs to turn it on? It's
also not just about turning it on or off. With real remote thermostat control,
you can actually adjust the thermostat. If the thermostat is set to 76, it's at 76,
but it feels too humid, you can lower it to 74. I would also bet that there will be
times when he's downstairs, the AC comes on, he decides it shouldn't, he
dials the temp up to stop it. Then later when he's upstairs flipping the switch
isn't going to do what he wants, because the thermostat was moved up to disable
the AC.

L O L .. glad that _somebody_ thought this through. ;-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 05:37:47 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

This makes no sense.

If the day is warm enough to not need the furnace, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

If the day is cool enough to not need the AC, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

Just set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature and forget about it. Sheesh!

You forget the OP is Micky, right??
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This makes no sense.

If the day is warm enough to not need the furnace, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

If the day is cool enough to not need the AC, then the thermostat will not turn it on. That's what they do.

Just set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature and forget about it. Sheesh!

That's the way it was for years and every year there were a few days
that I didn't like that. It doesn't work. For example, most of the time
I want the heat set to 68, but if it's a generally warm time, then I
don't want the heat on even if it's 65 out, maybe even 60. With the AC
it's even more true.

You forget the OP is Micky, right??

And I forgot the obstinate nature of so many posters here! Ed's plan is
good, and if the floor plan had allowed for a wired thermostat there or
near there, I would have done it. I didn't want to use wireless. And
my current solution solves all my problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

I prefer fully integrated with something like HomeKit. That way you
can control it any way you like, with a switch which requires no wires
or batterys, just uses the kinetic energy of the button press, use your
voice or even have it completely automatic, using the weather forecast
and reported temperature to decide when to have it on or off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 04:44:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 7:57:41 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
[...]

I control my Nest thermostat with my smartphone via the Nest app or with
my voice via my Echo Dot(s). The smartphone app works from anywhere.
I have 4 Dots, so that method works from anywhere in my house and garage.

Alexa, set the temperature to ___ degrees.
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature. (changes by 2°F)
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature by ___ degrees.
Alexa, turn the thermostat off.

Basically, anything that can be set at the thermostat can be set by the Nest
app on my phone, including the schedule. The Alexa method is a more limited..

It didn't/doesn't cost me anything. I paid $35 for the Nest through my utility
and I've gotten well over $35 in credits applied to my bill by participating in
"set-back" periods during times of high AC usage. I already had the Echo Dots
for other reasons, so all I had to do was add the (free) Nest skill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/24/2021 8:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I control my Nest thermostat with my smartphone via the Nest app or with
my voice via my Echo Dot(s). The smartphone app works from anywhere.
I have 4 Dots, so that method works from anywhere in my house and garage.

Alexa, set the temperature to ___ degrees.
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature. (changes by 2°F)
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature by ___ degrees.
Alexa, turn the thermostat off.

Basically, anything that can be set at the thermostat can be set by the Nest
app on my phone, including the schedule. The Alexa method is a more limited.

It didn't/doesn't cost me anything. I paid $35 for the Nest through my utility
and I've gotten well over $35 in credits applied to my bill by participating in
"set-back" periods during times of high AC usage. I already had the Echo Dots
for other reasons, so all I had to do was add the (free) Nest skill.

Not a bad deal. I'd do that if offered, I have two Dots. I just don't
have the incentive to spend $100 when it is so easy for me to change it
with a couple of tops.

In my last house I had two programmable T-stats and rarely changed the
program. Overall worked well. I'm on one level now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 May 2021 22:11:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

We screwed around with programmable thermostats for 30 years. I am
back to this and it seldom gets touched.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Womans%20thermostat.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 10:11:59 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

When we were both working, the programmable thermostat was useful.
Now it's set at 71 F pretty much all the time. If we're working around
the house, we might nudge it down to 70.

I'd like it colder at night, but when he gets up for his multiple overnight
bathroom jaunts, he prefers it warmer.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 May 2021 02:10:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

We just have a separate AC for the bedroom. No use keeping the whole
house at 65. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I assume you mean "taps".

It's easy for me to change mine with a couple of taps also. Thing is, my taps
are on the smartphone that sitting on the nightstand, while I'm still cozy in bed.
Even easier is using the whisper mode on my bedroom Dot.

Me whispering: Alexa...raise the temperature
Alexa whispering back: The temperature is set to 72

In my last house I had two programmable T-stats and rarely changed the
program. Overall worked well. I'm on one level now.

I don't ever change the *program* but I do change the temperature.

Using Eco-mode for vacations is easier than reprogramming to single
temp all the time, but not as economical. That's the one drawback of a
Nest stat - no Hold mode. I don't understand why. How hard can it be
to add that feature to the software?

Sharp TV / VCR Remote Codes - GE Universal Remote jJim McLaughlin Electronics Repair 1 July 16th 07 02:13 AM
can't get MX-500 universal remote to work with Directv H20 remote [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 3rd 06 08:12 AM
tx-29gf10x remote how do you open this remote iversonis Electronics Repair 0 November 11th 05 08:35 AM
remote control gaz UK diy 3 December 24th 03 08:54 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM