Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remote control of furnace

On Mon, 24 May 2021 22:11:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/24/2021 8:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I control my Nest thermostat with my smartphone via the Nest app or with
my voice via my Echo Dot(s). The smartphone app works from anywhere.
I have 4 Dots, so that method works from anywhere in my house and garage.

Alexa, set the temperature to ___ degrees.
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature. (changes by 2°F)
Alexa, increase/decrease the temperature by ___ degrees.
Alexa, turn the thermostat off.

Basically, anything that can be set at the thermostat can be set by the Nest
app on my phone, including the schedule. The Alexa method is a more limited.

It didn't/doesn't cost me anything. I paid $35 for the Nest through my utility
and I've gotten well over $35 in credits applied to my bill by participating in
"set-back" periods during times of high AC usage. I already had the Echo Dots
for other reasons, so all I had to do was add the (free) Nest skill.

Not a bad deal. I'd do that if offered, I have two Dots. I just don't
have the incentive to spend $100 when it is so easy for me to change it
with a couple of tops.

In my last house I had two programmable T-stats and rarely changed the
program. Overall worked well. I'm on one level now.

We screwed around with programmable thermostats for 30 years. I am
back to this and it seldom gets touched.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Womans%20thermostat.jpg