Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shingles on ridge vent -only cosmetic?

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT), r31 aug
wrote:

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

Plastic ridge vents are stupid, they will all get killed by U/V. I
would skin it with aluminum on top to shade it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

Plastic ridge vents are stupid, they will all get killed by U/V. I
would skin it with aluminum on top to shade it.

How would I "skin it with aluminum on top" (not sure what you mean) Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:15:53 PM UTC-4, r31 aug wrote:
Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles? Sounds a lot easier to me than
trying to kludge something half-assed together that's going to be an obvious
kludge job. You can just cut regular shingles
or some manufacturers offer cap shingles that don't need to be cut. Find ones
that match the roof. That roll stuff is just flimsy material and it's intended to be
covered with shingles for it to last and to keep water out. I'm sure there are plenty
of youtube videos showing how to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance?
(About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles

What kind of nails work best into a flimsy plastic ridge vent ?
.... liquid ones ? :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:15:48 -0700 (PDT), r31 aug posted for all of us to
digest...

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7

years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent
plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

Is there a possibility that the roof is still under warranty? It may have
roofed by an approved - by the shingle manufacturer - roofer.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 2:18:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance?
(About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles

What kind of nails work best into a flimsy plastic ridge vent ?
... liquid ones ? :-)
John T.

The nails supplied with the ridge vent. AFAIK the vast majority of ridge vents
used today are plastic, either rigid or the soft roll type. I would use the rigid,
but they are both widely used. The problem here isn't the ridge vent, it's that
somehow the shingles blew off, likely because they were not installed correctly.
The OP appears to want to double down on that. And the claim that UV will
destroy a plastic ridge vent makes no sense as they are installed with shingles
over them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 2:44:54 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance?
(About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles

What kind of nails work best into a flimsy plastic ridge vent ?
... liquid ones ? :-)

The kind recommended by the manufacturer of the ridge vent, of course.

ROFL, +1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:24:24 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Nail into a piece of plastic?

Why would shingles be better than aluminum coil? You can get it white
on one side and brown on the other to come closer to matching the
shingles. If you used SS tek screws it would hold a lot better than
trying to nail anything with less chance of breaking the ridge vent.
Do they even do ridge vent up there? I would think snow would cause
water intrusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 17:24:06 -0400, Tekkie©
wrote:

[...]

I have never even seen plastic roof vent. It is always aluminum here.
Maybe that is a northern thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You don't nail into the plastic, you nail through it into the wood.

Why would shingles be better than aluminum coil?

IDK, for the same reasons you see lots of roofs that use shingles, not so many
that are covered in aluminum?

You can get it white
on one side and brown on the other to come closer to matching the
shingles.

Most roofs don't have shingles that are either white or brown.

Or you can just do it the way 99% of roof installs on homes are done, covering
the ridge vent with the same shingles as the roof.

If you used SS tek screws it would hold a lot better than
trying to nail anything with less chance of breaking the ridge vent.
Do they even do ridge vent up there? I would think snow would cause
water intrusion.

Virtually all new construction and most re-roofing has used ridge vents up here
for decades now. It would be hard for snow to get under the shingles and then
through the roll type product like that on the poster's roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Take a trip to HD or Lowes or try Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They sell lots of things on the internet or even list them at Home
Depot that don't meet code here.
What is the rated wind speed with shingles nailed on top?

I know, who cares about that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:24:24 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:15:53 PM UTC-4, r31 aug wrote:
Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape,

Gorilla tape, as good as it is, won't last one summer. I have a
plastic garbage can lid with a 4" crack patched with gorilla tape and
it's lasted for a year, but it's on the shady side of the house, n ot on
the roof.

or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles? Sounds a lot easier to me than
trying to kludge something half-assed together that's going to be an obvious
kludge job. You can just cut regular shingles
or some manufacturers offer cap shingles that don't need to be cut. Find ones
that match the roof.

Heck, it's trim. It can contrast with the rest of the roof and still
look good. OR, I patched my roof a year ago near the roof ridge and I
kicked myself that I didn't save the brand and color of the original
roof, so I could get matching shingles. (And I even let a few left-over
shingles get ruined and threw them away. Kicking myself again.)

So I let roofer get whatever he thought was good (and he only had two
possible shades of tan) and you know what? There is too much light** in
the sky and I can never tell if it matches or not. **Except at night,
and I can't tell then either. Maybe if I had a one-story house it
would be visible, even noticeable. But I don't think so. You can't see
the roof when you get close to the house.

That roll stuff is just flimsy material and it's intended to be
covered with shingles for it to last and to keep water out. I'm sure there are plenty
of youtube videos showing how to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I looked that stuff up. It is not what we call ridge vent.
The stuff we use is mushroom shaped aluminum with holes up under the
dome, The shingles go up to the cut in the sheathing and this goes on
top.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did you use plain Gorilla duct tape model 6038505 https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Tape-.../dp/B07FQZ8Z2K ?

I was thinking to use Gorilla All Weather, model 6009002.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Weath.../dp/B07GRJ8L55
and the amazon description says it's good for roofs too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You and Fretwell should get together and start a home repair service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The op asked if he needed to replace. I too have no answer but what is it? I have done roofing with no shingles on rv and regular cut ridge with shingles.
Foam vent with shingles to match roof is my only way..
*rv is roof vent

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:52:15 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

Like a lawyer says: It depends.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Any thoughts on Gorilla Patch and Seal; the package image itself (not just amazon description) says it's good for roofing. https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-46125.../dp/B07HSKRYQW Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Probably this stuff. Definitely not what follows:

I was thinking to use Gorilla All Weather, model 6009002.
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Weath.../dp/B07GRJ8L55
and the amazon description says it's good for roofs too.

I had not seen this stuff before you posted it.

I used to spend more time browsing hardware stores, but because of
Corona, I haven't learned anything in 13 months.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 20:51:17 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

I haven't learned anything in 13 months.

You betcha!

--
Tekkie