Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default shingles on ridge vent -only cosmetic?

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 14:36:59 GMT, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

It's clear that the person who installed the cap shingles did not
follow the manufacturers recommendations for installation, since
GAF has a lifetime warranty when installed per their instructions.

I had my house and garage roofs done in 2001 with GAF shingles.
The roofer used a different brand of caps from a company that underwent a class-action
lawsuit because their shingles started deteriorating fast.
In 2012 I had to get a guy out to replace all the caps because they were starting to crack
and had bare spots. The new roofer told me about that as soon as he saw them.
I had him replace them with GAF caps. Cost me $900. Afterwards I priced those caps at
Home Depot and they were about $600. My roofs still look new after 20 years.