Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default shingles on ridge vent -only cosmetic?

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 6:26:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 10:24:24 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:15:53 PM UTC-4, r31 aug wrote:
Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.

What's so hard about nailing on cap shingles? Sounds a lot easier to me than
trying to kludge something half-assed together that's going to be an obvious
kludge job. You can just cut regular shingles
or some manufacturers offer cap shingles that don't need to be cut. Find ones
that match the roof. That roll stuff is just flimsy material and it's intended to be
covered with shingles for it to last and to keep water out. I'm sure there are plenty
of youtube videos showing how to do it.

Nail into a piece of plastic?

You don't nail into the plastic, you nail through it into the wood.

Why would shingles be better than aluminum coil?

IDK, for the same reasons you see lots of roofs that use shingles, not so many
that are covered in aluminum?

You can get it white
on one side and brown on the other to come closer to matching the
shingles.

Most roofs don't have shingles that are either white or brown.

Or you can just do it the way 99% of roof installs on homes are done, covering
the ridge vent with the same shingles as the roof.

If you used SS tek screws it would hold a lot better than
trying to nail anything with less chance of breaking the ridge vent.
Do they even do ridge vent up there? I would think snow would cause
water intrusion.

Virtually all new construction and most re-roofing has used ridge vents up here
for decades now. It would be hard for snow to get under the shingles and then
through the roll type product like that on the poster's roof.