Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need to reattach a Ridge Vent which came partially off. What goesunder the vent?

The nails popped off of one side of a 8-10 foot section of my ridge
vent. I need to 'restuff' insulation, etc. which has blown out during
a strong storm. I looked in thereand saw some strandlike grey
fiberglass stuff which had blown out in a shredded piece about 4'
long.

Is that special insulation or maybe some waterproof membrane that
needs to be put back in any particular way?

I can get to the vent and do the work easily enough..I would just like
to get everything I need for the repair to do it in one day. Its not a
dangerous work situation as its a low slope pitch situation.

There also were some pieces of yellow fiberglass bat insulation, which
may have been stuffed in there in the small pieces, or maybe even were
from the paper backed batts in the roof at this section (its a
cathedral ceiling below it).

There also appeared to be metallic strips in the gap under the ridge
vent. Do these hold insulation down...meaning they are put on top of
everything else?

The vent was cut-in (about 8 years ago)...30 years after the house was
built as it didn't originally have one.

So....basically, I'm looking for tips on how to put this back together
correctly. Its that grey fibrous stuff thats my biggest mystery.

Thanks.

Brian

ps The vent (aluminum) came off on the one side during a very strong
storm. The nails appeared to be rusty which probably allowed it to
disconnect. I plan on replacing the nails with screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 5:46 pm, usethisone2007 wrote:
[...]

Still looking for some input. I went up and looked at it again and
have read some other posts. I would like to get a new 8' section of
vent but I doubt its still available.I think the black/gray strands
must have been some sort of weather membrane once attached to the
ridge vent. I think it will have to be replaced using something over
the counter.

Also, I think I will use ribbed roofing nails, nor screws to reattach
the vent.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"usethisone2007" wrote in message
[...]

The gray strandlike material sounds like the actual venting mechanism which
has the shingles placed on top. A roofing supply company should have this,
but I don't know if you will be able to buy it by the foot.