Posted to alt.home.repair
r31 aug r31 aug is offline

Default shingles on ridge vent -only cosmetic?

Are shingles on a plastic ridge vent only for cosmetic appearance? (About 8ft of shingles blew off the ridge vent; vent itself is fine.) If I don't use shingles at all and just cover the plastic with some ultraviolet resistant covering (which would be easier for me to do vs. nailing in shingles), would that probably last 5-7 years or so in the sun in the NYC area? For the UV-resistant covering, I was thinking maybe Gorilla tape, or even roof cement spread over the ridge vent. The ridge vent is GAF Cobra roll, and the data sheet for that says the plastic contains Carbon black, which is good for UV resistance, but I want to cover that ridge vent plastic also, to provide more UV shading. Thanks.