Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Six for the price of two?

"Frank" "frank wrote in message
On 4/6/2021 3:14 PM, %% wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

My current ride is a top of the trim line model that came with taller
rims than the lower models. This necessitated lower aspect ratio (45)
tires to maintain steering geometry, suspension and fit in the wheel
wells.

I like the car- but with less rubber and air between the rim and the
pavement, it slams over manhole covers and even shallow pot holes.

The car is comfortable, powerful and loaded with all the electronic
safety features- but is also a bit bigger than I like driving these
days. I may just buy something smaller- though without oversized
rims!
Just buy a set of the smallest rims that were available on the car
(used from the wreckers they are pretty reeasonable - you might even
come out ahead with the lower cost of the replacement tires) and keep
enjoying what you have without the harshness on bumps.
Every time youtrade cars it costs you money - and you KNOW what you
have right now - any new used car purchase is a crap-shoot.

I understand that the low profile tires are more prone to go flat and a
hard pothole bump can cause damage to rims which must be replaced.

Rims can often be repaired. I had one fixed for $125. New would be
about $600.

Much cheaper than that at a wreckers and easy to check that its fine.

I hit something on the road last year and got a blowout and rim had a
dent. Fortunately it was cosmetic but a new rim would have been $200.

A used one at a wrecker wouldnt be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

My current ride is a top of the trim line model that came with
taller
rims than the lower models. This necessitated lower aspect
ratio (45)
tires to maintain steering geometry, suspension and fit in the
wheel wells.

I like the car- but with less rubber and air between the rim
and the
pavement, it slams over manhole covers and even shallow pot holes.

The car is comfortable, powerful and loaded with all the
electronic
safety features- but is also a bit bigger than I like driving
these
days. I may just buy something smaller- though without
oversized rims!
Â* Just buy a set of the smallest rims that were available on the
car
(used from the wreckers they are pretty reeasonable - you might
even
come out ahead with the lower cost of the replacement tires) and
keep
enjoying what you have without the harshness on bumps.
Every time youtrade cars it costs you money - and you KNOW what you
have right now - any new used car purchase is a crap-shoot.

I understand that the low profile tires are more prone to go flat
and a hard pothole bump can cause damage to rims which must be
replaced.

Rims can often be repaired.Â* I had one fixed for $125.Â* New would
be about $600.

Much cheaper than that at a wreckers and easy to check that its fine.

On a 1 year old car with new style wheels you won't find them that
easily.

Quite easy now that most ship countrywide and do ebay etc.

One a 10 year old Ford Fusion, sure.

Like I said, GV80 22" wheels are about $600 on eBay.

Not used one from a wrecker on ebay.

Show me one. GV80 22"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

This alloy wheel thing is just nuts.
I was sitting first up at a real long light the other day just
watching the cars go by and I saw exactly ONE with old school stamped
steel wheels. They all had spoked alloy wheels and most were unique to
that model and year car.
What's the deal with that?
I know I am not having a lot of luck finding a wheel for my Prelude
without shipping it in and they usually want to sell me 4. I can find
one that is close at a junk yard but not the same.
I just wanted a full sized spare since the well will hold one and I
have a donut in there now. The price for a used one that is even close
to the same seems to be about $100. I don't want one that bad.

One problem is a real junk yard is hard to find. Zoning made them
disappear in a lot of places. These days scrappers crush the cars and
ship them out.
The places that part cars out do it with their own people pulling,
cleaning up and selling the parts. I assume lawyers have struck again.
Sometimes those used parts places want almost as much as a new part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:10:36 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH yet more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 09:13:35 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

They typically don't look like new when you get one from a junk yard.
And if you care about what they look like, how many junk yard trips to find
a nice one? Like Ed said, there are shops that repair and refinish rims and
they come out looking like new. A junk yard one is fine for an old car, with
other old crappy rims that you don't care about. But if you have a newer car
and damage one on a curb, Ed's suggestion works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 5 Apr 2021 11:45:18 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 4/5/2021 11:29 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

In the past, I twice replaced a perfectly good car for no real reason
other than I was tired of what I was driving.

One reason may be that the newer cars have many safety or nice features.

You can get ones with many cameras on them and some that you can set to
follow at a distance a car in front of you and some that automatically
put on the breaks if it thinks you will be in a collision.

I talked with a salesman that was trying to sell a 3 year old car with
only a few thousand miles on it. It had belonged to the wife of an
exective of a large company. Her husband told her it did not look for
people of their position to drive a car that was more than a couple of
years old.
Thatg was back when one could usually tell a make and year of a car from
a block away. Now they look very similar to each other.

Salesman for one of my suppliers went on his own. Bought a new car
because he did not thin it approrpriate for a business owner to have an
old Toyota with 340,000 miles.

He might well be right. It's usually better to look successful if you
have a business. That you have other customers who keep coming back,
because they are satisfied, and you're making a good living.

Sort of related, I have a friend who was a lawyer until he retired, who
felt obliged to buy a Rolex watch, because iiuc it made him look
successful. Or because every lawyer he worked with had one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Neither do the other ones on your car, so that isnt a problem.

And if you care about what they look like, how many junk yard trips to
find
a nice one? Like Ed said, there are shops that repair and refinish rims
and
they come out looking like new.

So they will stand out like dogs balls on you car when the other ones dont.

A junk yard one is fine for an old car, with
other old crappy rims that you don't care about. But if you have a newer
car
and damage one on a curb, Ed's suggestion works.

Nope, because the other ones dont look like new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 04:09:52 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous trolling
senile geezer Rodent Speed, wrote:

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 16:51:24 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Like I said, GV80 22" wheels are about $600 on eBay. The only ones in a
scrap yard will be from Tiger Wood's crash.

https://tinyurl.com/894xbzvk

This is popular around here... https://www.keystoneautomotive.com/

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Apr 2021 21:10:24 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Just sending these along, a lot of scrap in PA.

https://deerfootautoparts.com/

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

I had a nice set of Keystone Kustomags (Klassics) on my 74 Dart
Sport. Chrome rim with alloy centers - I could put the stock chrome
wheel disks over them if I didn't want my car recognized.

Used to be alloy rims were high priced options - or expensive
aftermarket accessories now I even have alloys for my "winter" wheels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 8, 2021 at 7:55:15 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/7/2021 8:39 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

This alloy wheel thing is just nuts.
I was sitting first up at a real long light the other day just
watching the cars go by and I saw exactly ONE with old school stamped
steel wheels. They all had spoked alloy wheels and most were unique to
that model and year car.
What's the deal with that?

It's For The Children dude- so that each and every wonderful, entitled
kid being driven to a play date in mommy's SUV feels unique, special and
celebrated with his ride experience commemorated by those four shiny
spinners.

Alloy wheels reduce both over-all weight and unsprung weight - as
well as rotational mass - all good things for better ride and fuel
economy. Also they don't fly off on bumps like chrome wheel discs on
our deteriorating roads - and they DO look good.

Alloys do tend to break rather than bend on severe impact. You can bend
the steel rims back to being useful but not alloys.

Good luck "bending" a steel rim back into the correct shape after a severe impact.
Maybe Arlen can tell us how he does that in his driveway. As to why alloy wheels
have become dominant, I'd say a major reason is that they look so much better
than cheap steel rims with hub caps and customers like them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/2021 7:55 AM, Frank wrote:

Â* Alloy wheels reduce both over-all weight and unsprung weight - as
well as rotational mass - all good things for better ride and fuel
economy. Also they don't fly off on bumps like chrome wheel discs on
our deteriorating roads - and they DO look good.

Alloys do tend to break rather than bend on severe impact.Â* You can bend
the steel rims back to being useful but not alloys.

Uh, my alloy wheel was heated and put back to shape. Sure, some break
but many can be repaired.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 11:30:14 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 4/8/2021 7:55 AM, Frank wrote:

* Alloy wheels reduce both over-all weight and unsprung weight - as
well as rotational mass - all good things for better ride and fuel
economy. Also they don't fly off on bumps like chrome wheel discs on
our deteriorating roads - and they DO look good.

Alloys do tend to break rather than bend on severe impact.* You can bend
the steel rims back to being useful but not alloys.

Uh, my alloy wheel was heated and put back to shape. Sure, some break
but many can be repaired.

I've never cracked OR bent an alloy. I have spent a lot of time
beating Peugeot rims back to something close to round (204 in Zambia
cross country in the rainy season)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 20:39:56 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

Alloy wheels reduce both over-all weight and unsprung weight - as
well as rotational mass - all good things for better ride and fuel
economy. Also they don't fly off on bumps like chrome wheel discs on
our deteriorating roads - and they DO look good.

Haaaaa I like that "flying off" and they "shouldn't" suffer from hammer
installation. Still chuckling, we got the roads...

That reminds me there used to be a couple of places, besides the scrap yards,
that sold hubcaps. I think they lived near or installed potholes for collection
purposes. The wheels would inevitably rust where the clips attached. Lovely.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 20:47:45 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to
digest...

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Their stuff was the kats meow back in the day... Steering wheels, cherry bombs,
chrome this and that. I think they even had fuzzy dice to hang from the mirror,
which the cops would complain about being an obstruction.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 07:55:08 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

[...]

Good luck getting a proper seal on the bead. Then use one of the tire sealers
and the next guy comes along and man what a mess if it doesn't go kaboom first.

I guess if ones steel wheels they could steal them off police cars.

--
Tekkie