Posted to alt.home.repair
%%[_2_] %%[_2_] is offline

Default Six for the price of two?

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 3:14:44 PM UTC-4, %% wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 4/6/2021 1:32 PM, Frank wrote:

My current ride is a top of the trim line model that came with
taller
rims than the lower models. This necessitated lower aspect ratio
(45)
tires to maintain steering geometry, suspension and fit in the wheel
wells.

I like the car- but with less rubber and air between the rim and the
pavement, it slams over manhole covers and even shallow pot holes.

The car is comfortable, powerful and loaded with all the electronic
safety features- but is also a bit bigger than I like driving these
days. I may just buy something smaller- though without oversized
rims!
Just buy a set of the smallest rims that were available on the car
(used from the wreckers they are pretty reeasonable - you might even
come out ahead with the lower cost of the replacement tires) and keep
enjoying what you have without the harshness on bumps.
Every time youtrade cars it costs you money - and you KNOW what you
have right now - any new used car purchase is a crap-shoot.

I understand that the low profile tires are more prone to go flat and
hard pothole bump can cause damage to rims which must be replaced.

Rims can often be repaired. I had one fixed for $125. New would be
about
$600.

Much cheaper than that at a wreckers and easy to check that its fine.

They typically don't look like new when you get one from a junk yard.

Neither do the other ones on your car, so that isnt a problem.

And if you care about what they look like, how many junk yard trips to
find
a nice one? Like Ed said, there are shops that repair and refinish rims
and
they come out looking like new.

So they will stand out like dogs balls on you car when the other ones dont.

A junk yard one is fine for an old car, with
other old crappy rims that you don't care about. But if you have a newer
car
and damage one on a curb, Ed's suggestion works.

Nope, because the other ones dont look like new.