Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default Jack and Jill

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

--
Please say where you live, or what
area's English you are asking about.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

Not necessarily. particularly with springs.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 14/02/2021 06:00, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

There are plenty of lakes half way up hills and even some mountains.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 14/02/2021 06:26, Bod wrote:
On 14/02/2021 06:00, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

There are plenty of lakes half way up hills and even some mountains.

What we really need to know, is how on earth does contrary Mary make her
garden grow using cockleshells.....silver bells and pretty maids.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells
And pretty maids all in a row
And pretty maids all in a row
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message
On 14/02/2021 06:26, Bod wrote:
On 14/02/2021 06:00, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

There are plenty of lakes half way up hills and even some mountains.

What we really need to know, is how on earth does contrary Mary make her
garden grow using cockleshells.....silver bells and pretty maids.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockleshells
And pretty maids all in a row
And pretty maids all in a row

The pretty maids all in a row are the gardeners and
they crush up the cockleshells to fix the acid soil.

The silver bells keep the herbivores from eating the plants.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 19:53:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The silver bells keep the herbivores from eating the plants.

What will keep YOU from trolling in ngs that are all absolutely NONE of
yours, senile Ozzietard?

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default OT: Jack and Jill

On 2/14/21 1:00 AM, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

"Fact checking" revealed the two actually went down the hill to fetch a COVID shot.

Jack and Gill
Went down the hill
To get a COVID shot
Jack let out a sneeze
And cut the cheese,
And Gill was covered in snot.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 14/02/21 22:04, Bill Gates wrote:
On 2/14/21 1:00 AM, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

"Fact checking" revealed the two actually went down the hill to fetch a
COVID shot.

Jack and Gill
Went down the hill
To get a COVID shot
Jack let out a sneeze
And cut the cheese,
And Gill was covered in snot.

Perhaps; but they also went up the hill for a bit of privacy.

Jack and Jill
Went up the hill
For just an itty bitty.
Jill's now two months overdue
And Jack has left the city.

--
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 06:04:22 -0500, Bill Gates
wrote:

On 2/14/21 1:00 AM, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

"Fact checking" revealed the two actually went down the hill to fetch a COVID shot.

Jack and Gill
Went down the hill
To get a COVID shot
Jack let out a sneeze
And cut the cheese,
And Gill was covered in snot.

Jacquie and Jill went up the hill
to find a viable donor
IVF was done - they have a spawn
They named them X A-12

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A different version :
Jack and Jill went up the hill
they each had a buck and a quarter
Jill came down with $2.50
What a slut

--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 06:26:06 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 14/02/2021 06:00, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

There are plenty of lakes half way up hills and even some mountains.

Yes.
This is a lake in Snowdonia, the mountainous area of North Wales[1]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdo...rib_Goch_2.jpg

There is the word "tarn" for such a lake.

OED:
tarn, n.

Origin: A borrowing from early Scandinavian. Etymon: Norse *tarnu.

Etymology: Middle English terne, Old Norse *tarnu, tjorn, tjörn;
= Swedish dialect tjärn, tärn, Norwegian tjörn, Danish tjern.

A small mountain lake, having no significant tributaries.
(Originally local northern English, now generally used by
geologists and geographers.

More he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_(lake)

[1] More lakes and tarns in Snowdonia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowdonia#Lakes

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 1:00:58 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.

Some sort of hillside spring, perhaps?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/21 9:44 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 1:00:58 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.

Some sort of hillside spring, perhaps?

Cindy Hamilton

Origin story he http://www.rhymes.org.uk/jack_and_jill.htm

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

--
They're telling the truth. [...] I know what you mean. There's
another truth that they're not telling. But newspapers never
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:01:22 -0500,
wrote:

On 2/14/21 9:44 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 1:00:58 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.

Some sort of hillside spring, perhaps?

Good idea. Maybe so.

Cindy Hamilton

Origin story he http://www.rhymes.org.uk/jack_and_jill.htm

Oops. I guess water wasn't the biggest issue.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 03:21:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And the silver bells? :-)

Those keep the herbivores from eating your vegies.

Says who (other than you), senile bull**** artist? Post PROOF.

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

--
Ken

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 11:48:56 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Perhaps Jack is short for Jacqueline. (Just to confuse matters.)

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 01:00:49 -0500, micky
wrote:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.
Aren't wells more often dug nearer to the bottom of a hill?

To get clean water. Water at the bottom of the hill collects all the
**** on the hill. A spring up the hill is probably safe to drink.

OTOH this is a nursery rhyme, not a tutorial on safe drinking water
.... even if it is somewhat valid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 07:13:55 -0600, Snag wrote:

A different version :
Jack and Jill went up the hill
they each had a buck and a quarter
Jill came down with $2.50
What a slut

Dice had a spin on Little Miss Muffett too.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 14/02/2021 18:48, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

** and proceeded to drown,
** but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

One sixth of a gill (soft g) was the standard measure for spirits in a
pub WIWAL.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

--
Ken

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2021 1:51 PM, phil wrote:
On 14/02/2021 18:48, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

** and proceeded to drown,
** but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

One sixth of a gill (soft g) was the standard measure for spirits in a
pub WIWAL.

I know of the unit of volume gill, but in my experience it's very rarely
used in the USA. I don't think I've ever heard it, and I always thought
it was pronounced like the fish organ, with a hard G. Your message
prompted a web search, and I see that I was wrong.

--
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 06:44:42 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 1:00:58 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down
And broke his crown,
And Gill came tumbling after.

Why would anyone go up a hill to get water?

Water should be at the bottom of the hill, at the stream, or at a well.

Some sort of hillside spring, perhaps?

Cindy Hamilton

A Hydrogeological Dome - very common - where the water is trapped in
the sand and gravel in the hill - a well there gives good clean water
(and the wellcan be very shallow)
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

* Peter Duncanson [BrE]:

wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Perhaps Jack is short for Jacqueline. (Just to confuse matters.)

Gill could be Terry Gilliam.

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

* Ken Blake:

On 2/14/2021 12:43 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

The first speaker in the video you link is from California and uses soft
G.

On Forvo, it's US 3:1 soft, UK 3:0 soft, Austalia 1:0 soft and Canada
2:1 soft. But most of these examples are with last name attached, and
speakers might know the preference of a specific person by that name (G.
Anderson is the only one I know. She's American and has a soft G; I
checked three interviews.)

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 14/02/2021 21:01, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 1:51 PM, phil wrote:
[...]

Looking at the Wiki article, I see that a gill is also a teacup. We are
in cross-thread territory. A teacup, of course is not the same as a cup,
although a US gill is half a cup.

And half a gill is a jack, which brings us nicely back to the original
topic.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

Interesting.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 17:19:15 -0500, Quinn C
wrote:

* Ken Blake:

On 2/14/2021 12:43 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

The first speaker in the video you link is from California and uses soft
G.

On Forvo, it's US 3:1 soft, UK 3:0 soft, Austalia 1:0 soft and Canada
2:1 soft. But most of these examples are with last name attached, and
speakers might know the preference of a specific person by that name (G.
Anderson is the only one I know. She's American and has a soft G; I
checked three interviews.)

Gillian Anderson was born in the US but spent some of her childhood in
England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillia...son#Early_life

Soon after her birth, her parents moved to Puerto Rico for 15
months, then to London. The family relocated so that her father
could attend the London Film School. During her childhood, she lived
in north London's Crouch End and Haringey. She was a pupil of
Coleridge Primary School. When Anderson was 11 years old, her family
returned to the United States, settling in Grand Rapids,
Michigan. They continued to keep a flat in London, and spent their
summers there. Anderson later said that she had always intended to
return to England.
Anderson is bidialectal. With her English accent and background, she
was mocked and felt out of place as a teenager in the American
Midwest and soon adopted a Midwestern accent. To this day, she
easily shifts between her American and English accents.

just speculating
Perhaps her name was originally said with hard-g by her parents but was
changed to soft when she was at school in England. Soft is the way the
teachers and children would have said it.

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Peter Duncanson:
Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Ken Blake:
I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

I've never heard it with a hard G, and I used to have a boss whose
name was Gill. I don't know if her name was short for Gillian or not.
--
Mark Brader "HE'S the brains of the outfit."
Toronto "What does that make you?"
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2021 1:51 PM, phil wrote:
[...]

"A Gill and a Half
went up the hill
..."

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2021 3:19 PM, Quinn C wrote:
* Ken Blake:

On 2/14/2021 12:43 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

The first speaker in the video you link is from California and uses soft
G.

You're right. Somehow I missed that.

On Forvo, it's US 3:1 soft, UK 3:0 soft, Austalia 1:0 soft and Canada
2:1 soft. But most of these examples are with last name attached, and
speakers might know the preference of a specific person by that name (G.
Anderson is the only one I know. She's American and has a soft G; I
checked three interviews.)

--
Ken
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But that site got that wrong.

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Perhaps Jack is short for Jacqueline. (Just to confuse matters.)

Are you saying Jaqueline was misgendered in 'broke his crown' or Jack
used to be Jacqueline and was gendered correctly?
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2021 01:51 PM, phil wrote:
On 14/02/2021 18:48, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in
the subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to
also pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

One sixth of a gill (soft g) was the standard measure for spirits in a
pub WIWAL.

https://www.britannica.com/science/gill-measurement

The gill was introduced in the 14th century to measure individual
servings of whiskey or wine. The term jill appears in the nursery rhyme
Jack and Jill. Soon after ascending to the throne of England in 1625,
King Charles I scaled down the jack or jackpot (sometimes known as a
double jigger) in order to collect higher sales taxes. The jill, by
definition twice the size of the jack, was automatically reduced also
and came tumbling after.

Another expert heard from. Here I've been mispronouncing gill all my
life, at least when reading to myself. I never had a need to vocalize it
in conversation.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2021 02:01 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
I know of the unit of volume gill, but in my experience it's very rarely
used in the USA. I don't think I've ever heard it, and I always thought
it was pronounced like the fish organ, with a hard G. Your message
prompted a web search, and I see that I was wrong.

I associate it with arcane old recipes like 'take one gill of pennyroyal
oil...' I never had reason to dig into whet either was.