Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair
Quinn C Quinn C is offline

Default Jack and Jill

* Ken Blake:

On 2/14/2021 12:43 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

The first speaker in the video you link is from California and uses soft
G.

On Forvo, it's US 3:1 soft, UK 3:0 soft, Austalia 1:0 soft and Canada
2:1 soft. But most of these examples are with last name attached, and
speakers might know the preference of a specific person by that name (G.
Anderson is the only one I know. She's American and has a soft G; I
checked three interviews.)

--
Quinn C
My pronouns are they/them