Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default Jack and Jill

On 02/14/2021 03:19 PM, Quinn C wrote:
On Forvo, it's US 3:1 soft, UK 3:0 soft, Austalia 1:0 soft and Canada
2:1 soft. But most of these examples are with last name attached, and
speakers might know the preference of a specific person by that name (G.
Anderson is the only one I know. She's American and has a soft G; I
checked three interviews.)

Anderson is a quasi-Brit so all bets are off. It must have been
interesting when her family brought her back to Grand Rapids from London
when she was a kid.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2021 7:04 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
Peter Duncanson:
Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Ken Blake:
I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

I've never heard it with a hard G, and I used to have a boss whose
name was Gill. I don't know if her name was short for Gillian or not.

Often it is Gil for Gilbert.

Could also be:
The name Gil is a boy's name of Hebrew, Spanish origin meaning
"happiness". Pronounced zheel, it's a dashing conquistador; as gill,
it's the nice and slightly boring guy down the street.
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 15/02/21 12:41 pm, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 13:55:20 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 2/14/2021 12:43 PM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 11:48:56 -0700, Ken Blake
wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

and proceeded to drown,
but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in the
subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to also
pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

Interesting.

The only hard G Gillian I ever met was Australian.
Hard G Gillian was considered very unusual, if not unheard of, in NZ.

--brian

--
Wellington
New Zealand
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, the Endlessly Driveling Senile Gossip

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 18:25:50 -0700, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Are you saying Jaqueline was misgendered in 'broke his crown' or Jack
used to be Jacqueline and was gendered correctly?

I say you ARE nothing but an endlessly gossiping, senile, old fart,
lowbrowwoman!
Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

On 15/02/2021 00:08, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 23:16:25 +0000, phil wrote:

On 14/02/2021 21:01, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 1:51 PM, phil wrote:
On 14/02/2021 18:48, Ken Blake wrote:
On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

Â*Â* and proceeded to drown,
Â*Â* but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in
the subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to
also pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

One sixth of a gill (soft g) was the standard measure for spirits in a
pub WIWAL.

I know of the unit of volume gill, but in my experience it's very rarely
used in the USA. I don't think I've ever heard it, and I always thought
it was pronounced like the fish organ, with a hard G. Your message
prompted a web search, and I see that I was wrong.

Looking at the Wiki article, I see that a gill is also a teacup. We are
in cross-thread territory. A teacup, of course is not the same as a cup,
although a US gill is half a cup.

And half a gill is a jack, which brings us nicely back to the original
topic.

"A Gill and a Half
went up the hill
..."

"To fetch 21.1 to 352 gills of water"
or perhaps more realistically
"To fetch 128 gills of water"

(Wiki
"A pail is a technical term, used in the shipping industry, to designate
a type of cylindrical shipping container with a capacity of about 3 to
50 litres (1 to 13 US gal)."

"The non-technical meaning is identical to bucket."

"As an obsolete unit of measurement, at least one source documents a
'bucket' as being equivalent to 4 imperial gallons (18 l; 4.8 US gal)."

Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2021 10:00 AM, Quinn C wrote:
* micky:

Jack and Gill
Went up the hill
To fetch a pail of water
Jack fell down

Â*Â* and proceeded to drown,
Â*Â* but her gills saved Gill from slaughter.

Sorry, not used to the spelling "Gill".

It's always been "Jack and Jill" to me. Oddly, it' spelled "Jill" in
the subject line, but "Gill" in the text.

Since the well-known word for a fish's breathing organ is "gill,"
pronounced with a hard "g," when I saw "Jack and Gill, I wanted to
also pronounce "Gill" with a hard "g."

Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

Well, that can't be 100% accurate. I know a Canadian Gillian who
pronounces her name with a soft G.

--
Cheryl