Posted to alt.usage.english,alt.home.repair

Default Jack and Jill

On 2/14/2021 7:04 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
Peter Duncanson:
Gill, pronounced Jill, may be short for Gillian.

Ken Blake:
I thought Gillian was pronounced with a hard G, so I just went to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yNdPOg-5JM

According to that site, it has a hard G everywhere but in the UK.

I've never heard it with a hard G, and I used to have a boss whose
name was Gill. I don't know if her name was short for Gillian or not.

Often it is Gil for Gilbert.

Could also be:
The name Gil is a boy's name of Hebrew, Spanish origin meaning
"happiness". Pronounced zheel, it's a dashing conquistador; as gill,
it's the nice and slightly boring guy down the street.