Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why can't you rewind youtube advertisements?

Why is it that on youtube, you can pause and rewind to see things again,
but during the advertisements, when they have a financial incentive,
would seemingly most want you to watch again, you can't rewind, can't
even pause afaicr?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky,

Why is it that on youtube ... during the advertisements ...
you can't rewind, can't even pause afaicr?

Don't the companies which provide such ads have to pay for each viewing of
such an ad ? If someone could put a number of ads (of competitors?) on a
loop (on fast-forward maybe) that could get costly rather fast.

Same as with website ads getting clicked by 'puters in a botnet.

Though I have to say that this subject has got very little to do with this
newsgroup ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 08:10:32 +0100, "R.Wieser"
wrote:

micky,

Why is it that on youtube ... during the advertisements ...
you can't rewind, can't even pause afaicr?

Don't the companies which provide such ads have to pay for each viewing of
such an ad ?

I suppose so. That might be it.

If someone could put a number of ads (of competitors?) on a
loop (on fast-forward maybe) that could get costly rather fast.

Assuming that became a problem, they could not charge for ads that were
played more than twice in a row, or keep anyone from playing an ad more
than twice.

Would they charge extra if one could pause a commercial?

Sometimes I am but I'm not likely to buy any of that stuff. However the
guy who wants to pause the commercial seems likely to be a serious
possible customer. Esp. compared to all the others who just want it to
end.

Same as with website ads getting clicked by 'puters in a botnet.

Though I have to say that this subject has got very little to do with this
newsgroup ...

Horrors!

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky,

Assuming that became a problem, they could not charge
for ads that were played more than twice in a row, or keep
anyone from playing an ad more than twice.

Why going for that kind of complex solutions when a way easier one (to
maintain) is available ?

Would they charge extra if one could pause a commercial?

Time viewed ?

Also, they already had to block pretty-much everything else (restart, skip,
fast fore/backwards). Blocking the all the controls would be easier, and
also more secure (no chance of forgetting anything).

However the guy who wants to pause the commercial
seems likely to be a serious possible customer.

On the other hand, not being able to stop the ad might 1) make a much more
lasting impression because of 2) force him to search for the product,
strengthening #1 as well as exposing him to other products by the same
company.

Though I have to say that this subject has got very little to
do with this newsgroup ...

Horrors!

Really ? You don't care ? Are you and Arlen than not as different as I
thought ? :-(

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 31 Dec 2020 10:12:15 +0100, "R.Wieser"
wrote:

Micky,

Assuming that became a problem, they could not charge
for ads that were played more than twice in a row, or keep
anyone from playing an ad more than twice.

Why going for that kind of complex solutions when a way easier one (to
maintain) is available ?

Not so complex., Just takes a counter, an incrementer, a comparison,
and a resetter.

But what would the "way easier one" be?

Would they charge extra if one could pause a commercial?

Time viewed ?

Also, they already had to block pretty-much everything else (restart, skip,
fast fore/backwards). Blocking the all the controls would be easier, and
also more secure (no chance of forgetting anything).

Secure? Secure against what. People viewing the commercial more than
once?

However the guy who wants to pause the commercial
seems likely to be a serious possible customer.

On the other hand, not being able to stop the ad might 1) make a much more
lasting impression

I doubt that. I'm barely paying attention until I hear an important
phrase, and if I can't go back and the rest doesn't explain, I just
forget it altogether.

because of 2) force him to search for the product,

Half the time I don't even know what the product is, and more than half
the time, he'll search for his problem/need/desire, not for a particular
product.

strengthening #1 as well as exposing him to other products by the same
company.

Searching for what he wants will expose to other brands that do the same
thing.

I don't think people work that way. People hear loads of commercials and
they try to ignore them.

Though I have to say that this subject has got very little to
do with this newsgroup ...

Horrors!

Really ? You don't care ? Are you and Arlen than not as different as I
thought ? :-(

He's supposed to send in a DNA sample so we can have our genomes
compared. I'll let you know then.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky,

Not so complex., Just takes a counter, an incrementer,
a comparison, and a resetter.

.... for all connections/users. Again, why would they want to do something
like that when a way easier solution exists ?

But what would the "way easier one" be?

Now I know you are trolling. How ? Because I already described it. In full.
:-(

Secure? Secure against what. People viewing the commercial
more than once?

And again.

Searching for what he wants will expose to other brands
that do the same thing.

If he does a generic search, yes. Not so much when he uses the keywords he
just heard.

I don't think people work that way. People hear loads of
commercials and they try to ignore them.

Than being able to pause the ad won't help much, if anything.

He's supposed to send in a DNA sample so we can have
our genomes compared. I'll let you know then.

Good answer, humorous. Doesn't change anything though.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why can't you rewind advertisements about home repair?

On 12/31/20 6:35 AM, micky wrote:
Why is it that on youtube, you can pause and rewind to see things again,
but during the advertisements, when they have a financial incentive,
would seemingly most want you to watch again, you can't rewind, can't
even pause afaicr?

Some TV streams about repairing the home are the same way.
I saw a home repair commercial the other day and wanted to watch the commercial again but no-can-do.