Posted to alt.home.repair

Default advertisements hanging from fence or doorknob

How do you react to advertisements left hanging on your fence gate or
your front door know, or stuffed a little between the door and the
jamb?

I don't like it because if I'm away and they stay there for days, it's
like an announcement to the world, "He's not here. Break in at your
leisure."

Now actually these days I don't go away often, but I'm planning a
two-month trip and many people travel for work or take a lot of
vacations, short and long. or they're in the hospital, and I couldn't
be the only one this annoys.

In the past it's been pizza parlors, but today I got a bag of junk
from a would-be politician, and the JWitnesses stuffed something in my
door jamb leaving almost all of it sticking out.

I don't know whether to call all of these people up and complain, or
to give up, and hope my next door neighbors will really remove the
ones on my fence when I tell them I"m going away. ???????

Ironically, I have a slot in my door where they could put all this
stuff, And the mailman doesn't know or care what went in the door and
what didn't.

Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have good neighbors. We watch each others house and mail and take care of
it when occupant is gone for a day or more. Mail boxes at street edge not on
house. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 9:44 AM, micky wrote:

Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

It is illegal to put non-mail in mailboxes. If it is a slot into a house
the mailman won't know. For a mailbox that can be opened the mailman can
create a problem.

Someone I know had a business where non-mail was left for him in a
mailbox. The mailman picked it up and he had a hard time getting it back.

Don't know if the post office would give crap to purveyors of junk fliers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:44:23 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip..
Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

It is my understanding that it is against Federal Law for your milbox to
be used for any other purposes. That's why UPS and FedEX won't leave
stickers in your mailbox, always separately posted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I would put a big note on my door stating that I am not home and will
not return for at least a couple of months. This should keep individuals
from leaving advertisements, etc....wait, this may not be a good idea.:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

I used to work for a large gas utility, service people wanted to have some
door hangers to tell customers that they had called. The president heard
about it and banned them. It appears that leaving a door hanger or tag on
the door, announced to anyone on the street that the home has been tested
and no one found at home, so that thieves can break in without problem, and
the home owner can now sue the company that left the door hanger. If anyone
leaves one on my door, they get a phone call to tell them that they have
just open themselves to legal liability, and should stop the practice.

In the US is appears that the Post Office takes ownership of mail boxes and
prohibits anyone from leaving material in it, in Canada this doesn't apply.

Jehovah's Witnesses are told NOT to leave literature in the mail box, or in
a visible location, but there are some people who don't listen to
instructions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2013 2:49 PM, EXT wrote:

"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have a solution but if I find a flier on my car I just toss it
to the ground but you would not want to litter your neighborhood.

Post does remind me that one of these days I'm going to sneak around and
epoxy a "No Solicitors" placard to the Jehovah's Witnesses temple sigh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
micky belched:
[...]

I have a NO SOLICTING sign and it seems to work for advertisement, too.
Since I put it up, i've not had any door hangers left.
They also make a No Solicting/ No Handbill sign too
YMMV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:44:23 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
[...]

Call them up and tell them they need to be blown up. I have had the bomb squad on me for that. But the Tribune Inc. does not mail me their bull**** anymore. All my speech is banned.

Keep it short and sweet. Violently overthrow the US government.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 9, 2013 11:54:12 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:44:23 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip..

Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

It is my understanding that it is against Federal Law for your milbox to

be used for any other purposes. That's why UPS and FedEX won't leave

stickers in your mailbox, always separately posted.

Kidnapping torture and inquisitions is also illegal. But the FBI is useless and their agents should be beaten to death with baseball bats.
Arrest the Bush cartels.
Violently overthrow the US government.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
[...]

I put a note on my door saying " Door will be answered by a naked 82 yr old
man, knock at your own risk". Pretty much keeps everyone away. But, can be
a drawback if you're expecting a delivery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 9, 2013 7:44:23 AM UTC-8, micky wrote:
[...]

1. Collect them and keep them just inside your entry door on a hook.
2. Put them on the door knob when you come home and take them off when you leave.
3. Keep a loaded shotgun in easy reach. .
4. Cancel your hunting license, you won’t need it anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 09:54:12 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 08:44:23 -0700, micky wrote:

...snip..
Do mailmen actually object when non-mail is left in home mailboxes?

It is my understanding that it is against Federal Law for your milbox to
be used for any other purposes. That's why UPS and FedEX won't leave
stickers in your mailbox, always separately posted.

I know it's against the law, but I wondered how often mailmen try to
enforce that. I think my own mailman, for the last 10 or 15 years,
once said something about not minding HOA newsletters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:20:17 -0500, Frank
wrote:

Post does remind me that one of these days I'm going to sneak around and
epoxy a "No Solicitors" placard to the Jehovah's Witnesses temple sigh.

We used to have signs at each entrance to the n'hood that said "No
solicitating". I liked them, even if they were spelled wrong. After
the whole signs finally wore out, that part wasn't replaced, alas.

Two or three times I've had guys from IDT come to the door wanting to
sell me electricity. They always want to see my old bill, and I know
their bosses want that so they can get the account number and slam me.

What I don't know is how often the door-to-door guys are part of the
crime. Anyone know?

I don't show anyone my bill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 12/9/2013 2:49 PM, EXT wrote:

"IGot2P" wrote in message
[...]

Anagram for solicitor.
Clitoris.
Near enough anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:18:32 -0600, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
micky belched:
[...]

No kidding. I figured they didn't work much.

Since I put it up, i've not had any door hangers left.
They also make a No Solicting/ No Handbill sign too

Hmmm. I have to think about this. Thanks.

YMMV