Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Zoom warning

This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better. They have their downside,
of course. I've read of security problems with Alexa. Zoom can
make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better.

They do make life much better in fact. So does the internet.

They have their downside, of course. I've read of security problems with
Alexa.

So use the ones that dont have a security problem.

Zoom can make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.

So use the ones that dont have those problems.

I use applepay for all my transactions and it has
no downsides at all and the security leaves that
of a physical card or cash for dead.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:14:51 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better. They have their downside,
of course. I've read of security problems with Alexa. Zoom can
make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Alexa is doing Surveillance Capitalism INFORMATION GATHERING on it's users! Anything "Smart" these daze is! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-10-19, %% wrote:
I use applepay for all my transactions and it has
no downsides at all...

I see no reason for having a 3rd party involved in all of my transactions
that takes a cut, amasses a database of my buying habits, and has the power
to disable payments for any number of reasons. Makes no sense to me at all.

Cash on the other hand is freedom and privacy, and that is all I use for
local purchases. It is nobody's business how I spend my money. (And no,
I don't use store "loyalty cards" either.)

The US Census, what info must you give? -- http://censusfacts.info
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
The facts about Climate Change -- http://www.RealClimateScience.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default loyalty cards, was: Zoom warning

In Roger Blake writes:

[snip]

Cash on the other hand is freedom and privacy, and that is all I use for
local purchases. It is nobody's business how I spend my money. (And no,
I don't use store "loyalty cards" either.)

Many of these are set up so you can key in "your" phone number
and get the same affinity discounts [a].

"Your" in quotes because it doesn't have to be your
own number.

Now... getting ahold of Rick Santorum's number and using
it when you purchase a dozen copies of "The Joy of Gay Sex"
would be evil. But there are quite a few semi public
ones that are reasonably fair game.

[a] you probably won't get something like their yearly
rebate credit (when applicable), but you'll get
that lower price "for members" when you buy stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:18:02 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Roger Blake writes:

[snip]

Cash on the other hand is freedom and privacy, and that is all I use for
local purchases. It is nobody's business how I spend my money. (And no,
I don't use store "loyalty cards" either.)

Many of these are set up so you can key in "your" phone number
and get the same affinity discounts [a].

"Your" in quotes because it doesn't have to be your
own number.

Now... getting ahold of Rick Santorum's number and using
it when you purchase a dozen copies of "The Joy of Gay Sex"
would be evil. But there are quite a few semi public
ones that are reasonably fair game.

[a] you probably won't get something like their yearly
rebate credit (when applicable), but you'll get
that lower price "for members" when you buy stuff.

Any reference to Santorum always pulls me back to 2003 when this NSFW site
was created:

http://spreadingsantorum.com/

Santorum tried to get Google to remove it from their search results, but
they politely refused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campai...%22santorum%22

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:14:51 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better. They have their downside,
of course. I've read of security problems with Alexa. Zoom can
make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Alexa is doing Surveillance Capitalism INFORMATION
GATHERING on it's users! Anything "Smart" these daze is! :-(

Apple products dont. They dont even do that with navigation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-10-19, %% wrote:
I use applepay for all my transactions and it has
no downsides at all...

I see no reason for having a 3rd party involved in
all of my transactions that takes a cut,

Applepay doesn’t.

amasses a database of my buying habits,

Applepay doesn’t.

and has the power to disable payments
for any number of reasons.

Applepay doesn’t.

Makes no sense to me at all.

Yep, you actually are that stupid/ignorant.

Cash on the other hand is freedom

Bull**** it is when you have to keep showing
up at the ATM etc to get more of that.

and privacy,

Bull**** again given that the checkouts all have CCTV.

and that is all I use for local purchases.

More fool you.

It is nobody's business how I spend my money.

They know that anyway.

(And no, I don't use store "loyalty cards" either.)

More fool you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2020 09:27 PM, %% wrote:

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:14:51 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better. They have their downside,
of course. I've read of security problems with Alexa. Zoom can
make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Alexa is doing Surveillance Capitalism INFORMATION
GATHERING on it's users! Anything "Smart" these daze is! :-(

Apple products dont. They dont even do that with navigation.

https://socpub.com/articles/how-appl...big-data-13719

It's all anonymous. Really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 10/19/2020 09:27 PM, %% wrote:

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 4:14:51 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
This modern electronic stuff like remote controls, voice activated
devices etc can make life a little better. They have their downside,
of course. I've read of security problems with Alexa. Zoom can
make life embarrassing too. Jeffrey Toobin got caught with his
pants down.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/19/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-showing-penis-during-zoom-call/

Alexa is doing Surveillance Capitalism INFORMATION
GATHERING on it's users! Anything "Smart" these daze is! :-(

Apple products dont. They dont even do that with navigation.

https://socpub.com/articles/how-appl...big-data-13719

That provides no evidence that Apple is actually doing anything of the sort.

It's all anonymous. Really.

Fraid it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 01:18:02 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Roger Blake writes:

[snip]

Cash on the other hand is freedom and privacy, and that is all I use for
local purchases. It is nobody's business how I spend my money. (And no,
I don't use store "loyalty cards" either.)

Many of these are set up so you can key in "your" phone number
and get the same affinity discounts [a].

"Your" in quotes because it doesn't have to be your
own number.

Now... getting ahold of Rick Santorum's number and using
it when you purchase a dozen copies of "The Joy of Gay Sex"
would be evil. But there are quite a few semi public
ones that are reasonably fair game.

[a] you probably won't get something like their yearly
rebate credit (when applicable), but you'll get
that lower price "for members" when you buy stuff.

The LGBT people have beat Santorum into a bloody heap on the floor.
That purchase would disappear into a sea of other things that has
happened to him.
Google "Santorum" some time. ;-)