Loris Duranti

Default Pentax Zoom 105-R Camera: Help Needed !!!

Hi there !!!
I hope not to be too much OT and sorry if I am. Anyway, I've got
the following problem with my Pentax "Zoom 105-R" camera.

While switching it on, the zoom mechanism moves towards the maximum focal length (105 mm)
then the lens extends a little more and the camera blocks showing "E 97" on the display.
While switching it off, the zoom mechanism correctly stores the lens in the
lens cover, then the camera displays "E 93"

Till a few months ago, the "E 97" matter was happening only moving the zoom mechanism towards
the maximum focal length by means of the zooming lever so, paying some attention, it was still
possible to use the camera. During that period, I noticed that the display didn't show
the current focal length anymore but always the minimum (38 mm).

Is there anybody who can tell me the reason of this problem and give
me any suggestion on what to do after opening the camera ?!?

Thank you in advance for your help.

--

==================================
(www.cniinformatica.it)

Jerry G.

Built in to the lens assy, there is a tacho feedback to inform the uPC for
the lens control to know the lens position. The error may be in that area.
The lens may be out of position, and thus the uPC is seeing an error.

Sometimes dropping the camera, or hitting it very hard can induce this type
of fault.

This is not something you can fix yourself. I would suggest you do not open
the camera to try to fix this yourself. There is not much you can do with
this without the proper training, diagnostics, tools, and service
information.

If the camera is out of warranty, you can call Pentax, or their authorized
service and have an estimate done. I have no idea of what they would charge
in your area for this.

These are service by mostly doing modular parts changing. After parts are
changed, they are able to do re-calibrations are necessary to maintain the
performance of the camera.

--

Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
==========================

"Loris Duranti" wrote in message

[...]

jakdedert

"Jerry G." wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Jerry, to a point. It might be possible to tweak the gears
yourself, if that's the problem--and I think it is. The lens is in a
different position than the sensor thinks. When you zoom in to the max, it
sounds like the assembly is hitting the stop before the sensor thinks it
should.

I have a similar problem with a Nikon CoolPix. The gears were jammed so
that the zoom wouldn't move at all. A quick flick of the fingernail solved
that, but mine might not be quite in sync either. It zooms out when first
turned on, but then zooms just a 'touch' closer and never goes back. Max
zoom seems to work okay, although I have no reference.

On the strength of my previous delving into the guts of the thing, I'd think
I could slip the gear one or more teeth further (or back) and possibly get
it to open full wide. Possibly yours is the same.

BEWARE, however! These things are NOT easy to work on. One mistep and you
can figure on a new camera. There are multiple fragile ribbon cables to
dis/reconnect. There are numerous *tiny* plastic parts to keep track of, as
well as their exact position/orientation in the final reassembly. There
will probably be different sizes/types of screws which *must* be put back in
their original holes. In my case, I had to disassemble the unit, then hold
all three major subassemblies together in my hand while I examined under a
magnifier and made adjustments. It was NOT easy! Don't even attempt it if
you are not entirely prepared to fail and write it off. In my case, since
there is no error message, I'm not even gonna mess with it.

Good luck.

jak

[...]

Loris Duranti

Hi Jerry and Jak,
thank you very much for your exhaustive answers: I'll follow your suggestions and
contact an authorized Pentax service at least in order to know the costs ...

Best regards, Loris.

--