Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teeth whitener

I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/09/2020 07:22 PM, AK wrote:
I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

Trioxidane? H2O2 is an oxidizer. You do not specify the concentration
or the type of rubber but I am not surprised it degraded. Buna N in
particular is not compatible. If you want to experiment pick up a couple
of buna n o-rings at the hardware store and see how they react.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 23:23:30 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Trioxidane? H2O2 is an oxidizer. You do not specify the concentration
or the type of rubber but I am not surprised it degraded. Buna N in
particular is not compatible. If you want to experiment pick up a couple
of buna n o-rings at the hardware store and see how they react.

Oh! We got a new know-it-all ...next to Rodent Speed! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/2020 1:23 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/09/2020 07:22 PM, AK wrote:
I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the
syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

Trioxidane?Â* H2O2 is an oxidizer. You do not specify the concentration
or the type of rubber but I am not surprised it degraded. Buna N in
particular is not compatible. If you want to experiment pick up a couple
of buna n o-rings at the hardware store and see how they react.

He did not say percentages and did have a slip in formula. I personally
would not haphazardly treat my teeth just because I am a chemist and can
guess what might work. I would use proven formulas.

I once had a gallon of the highest concentration of peroxide available.
It was at least 90%. It was in a brown glass bottle and did not degrade
in the 6 months or so I used it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AK writes:

I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

I'm not a chemist but I can impersonate one on the Internet.

I'm not at all surprised that rubber can be oxidized.
Google says:

Does rubber oxidize?

Thermal-Oxidative Degradation of Rubber. Most elastomers will undergo
significant changes over time when exposed to heat, light, or oxygen
(ozone). ... The aging of a rubber due to oxidation and heat is
greatly accelerated by stress, and exposure to other reactive gases
like ozone.

H2O2 (why do you call it H2O3 above?) is a pretty good oxidizer.
I'd be a bit surprised to find out a syringe has actual rubber in it,
I'd expect some kind of petroleum product, but would still not be
surprised to see it oxidize. Oxygen is pretty reactive stuff.

Learn something every day, H2O3 would be Trioxidane.
An unstable Hydrogen Peroxide which I'm sure you don't have.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

I think teeth aren't supposed to be white.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Cindy Hamilton writes:

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

I think teeth aren't supposed to be white.

Yeah, my dentist keeps asking if I want my teeth whitened.
Can't figure out why I'd want that.
I also can't figure out how to smile with my teeth showing.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 1:53:51 PM UTC-4, Dan Espen wrote:
Cindy Hamilton writes:

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

I think teeth aren't supposed to be white.

Yeah, my dentist keeps asking if I want my teeth whitened.
Can't figure out why I'd want that.

Mine's a nice guy. His office does whitening, but he doesn't
push it. When I get crowns he's very careful to match them to the
natural color of my teeth.

OTOH, I've never smoked.

I also can't figure out how to smile with my teeth showing.

I probably can do it spontaneously, but not deliberately. I
should ask my husband--he's got a great sense of humor and
always makes me smile and laugh.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

Unstated here is what was the expiration date of the product? If it was
within the expiration window, I'd be surprised if the rubber, or whatever
material it actually is, degraded badly. If was way past, then I would
not be so surprised, but still you'd think they would use a material that
would stand up to it better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:58:01 -0400, Dan Espen posted for all of us to digest...

I'm not a chemist but I can impersonate one on the Internet.

I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a look.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/9/2020 9:22 PM, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

You're a chemist.....shouldn't you know?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hawk writes:

On 8/9/2020 9:22 PM, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

You're a chemist.....shouldn't you know?

He's a chemist that thinks Hydrogen Peroxide is H2O3,
thinks something dissolving is melting,
thinks all pliable substances are rubber,
and is scared of things he thinks are "melting".

Yeah, he gave me some crap a while back,
just in the mood to return the favor.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 11:50:15 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

I think teeth aren't supposed to be white.

Cindy Hamilton

I do not seek extreme whiteness. :-)

I just want my teeth to be less yellow.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 10, 2020 at 5:36:42 PM UTC-5, Dan Espen wrote:
Hawk writes:

On 8/9/2020 9:22 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Excuse me for making a mistake. H202

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:44:56 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
[...]

Ask your dentist. Figure out what makes your teeth yellow
and stop those behaviors.

If I had something that "ate" rubber, I wouldn't put it in my
mouth.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hawk writes:

On 8/9/2020 9:22 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

I assumed. Anyway looking up H2O3 was pretty interesting.
So you were going to put peroxide in syringes and squirt it
on your teeth? That's scary all by itself.

If I was going to do something like that, I think I'd dip a
toothbrush in dilute peroxide and apply the toothbrush to
my teeth.

If I remember right, the dentist said the whiteners would
whiten the teeth but not the filling material. So I'd
need a dentist anyway. Yep:

Although the whitening process won't damage your past treatments, it
may not be effective on these parts of your teeth. For instance, if
you've had fillings and crowns; these whitening products will not work
on them. The rest of your teeth will be whitened. However, no teeth
whitener will work on fillings or crowns.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2020 11:44 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Mentioned, I am also a retired chemist. I advise, do not experiment on
yourself. Use commercially developed products and I would also advise
on the mild side like a tooth whitening tooth paste.

Personally I brush after every meal and see my dentist twice a year and
dental hygienist cleans my teeth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 10 Aug 2020 13:53:47 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Cindy Hamilton writes:

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 9:22:22 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I am a retired chemist and used very strong concentrations of hydrogen peroxide.

I bought some teeth whitener that uses hydrogen peroxide in a high percentage.

I was not happy with the results.

I noticed that it ate the rubber in the syringe where it was stored.

So, I started freezing the ones I was not using.

I decided to try to salvage it by washing out the H2O3 and using the syringe.

I found that the rubber on the syringe had "melted."

That, to me was scary.

Do you think the rubber was of low quality?

Andy

I think teeth aren't supposed to be white.

Yeah, my dentist keeps asking if I want my teeth whitened.
Can't figure out why I'd want that.
I also can't figure out how to smile with my teeth showing.

When I got some implants, the dentist was spending time picking out the
right color and it dawned on me that if I ever got my teeth whitened,
the current color wouldn't match. So I asked him about whitening and he
said if I did it, I'd have to do it every few months to keep the same
color.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 08:14:10 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

On 8/11/2020 11:44 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

You don't use a wire brush? ;-)

--
Tekkie

hand saw teeth protection AAvK Woodworking 23 January 13th 06 06:06 PM
TS blade teeth foggytown Woodworking 5 December 5th 05 11:23 PM
Foundation VII - crunching numbers, dirt clods & teeth John Moorhead Woodworking 12 August 9th 04 12:32 AM
*** Rec.Woodworking Mini-FAQ *** 141, Now with Cermet Teeth! David F. Eisan Woodworking 1 December 4th 03 02:47 PM
How sharp are woodworms teeth? SadKate*** UK diy 6 August 7th 03 07:16 PM