SadKate***

Default How sharp are woodworms teeth?

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:50:47 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

Hi,

finally re-errected the garden gazebo thingie we bought last year from the
dreaded Homebase.

We have noticed that it seems to have been infested with (quite small)
woodworm.

Now before it was put away last year it was painted with outdoor wood
treatment (can't find the tin but it would probably be Cuprinol or Sadolin).

The holes come right out through the painted parts.

I thought woodworm only infested dry unpainted and untreated timber.

I also thought that these outdoor timber treatments protected agains
nasties, but looking at a couple of tins they only seem to protect against
algae and fungi.

So what does the team think?

(1) Is this likely to be an over winter thing despite the painting, or was
the worm in the wood when we bought the gazebo?

(2) If it was imported worm what are the chances of it surviving to breed
here once it was hatched?

Will check the loft where the wooden frame was stored over winter, but
certainly not looking forward to having to clear the loft to get it all
sprayed.

I preume we will not know we are infested (if we are) until next year when
this year's generation hatches out?

TIA
Dave R

I'm currently battling a woodworm prob in my house and I'm treating
some of it myself. I can tell you what I've found out since I've been
researching this and it might help answer some of your questions...

Woodworm eggs/larvae can only enter through an untreated part of the
wood or through an old flight hole. The females lays in the flight
holes or the pores of the wood, so they won't get in through a
varnished or painted part (assuming it's a paint which coats the wood
rather than a stain which soaks in), but apparently they do like the
untreated ends of planks of wood for this purpose.
They don't have any problem exiting through a varnish or paint when
the larvae emerges (this is the bit that makes the hole).

I think it's hard to be sure whether or not the wood is infested until
next year's lot emerges, but everything I've read says an active
infestation will be marked by the presence of 'frass' (larvae poo,
etc.), but I suppose this is only going to be noticeable if the wood
has been stationary, and the beasties have only just emerged.
That said, they only emerge during a short 2-4 week season in any
year, my lot started flying around about six weeks ago. I don't know
how long you've had the wood out, but have you seen any flying beatles
around since? I don't know whether the season varies depending on
where you are ut I am in the North West of Scotland.
There are about six different kinds of woodworm, but they're all
beetles and mine were small (2-4mm), dark brown, about the shape of a
chocolate brazil nut, and stupid - very easy to catch when they
weren't flying. The Rentokil UK site has some info on identifying the
different types ifyou've seen anything.

Now, the good thing is, whether you're infested or not it'll be quite
easy to treat your planks at least. You can buy aerosol tins of stuff
made by Rentokil (I think Cuprinol make some too) which you spray on
and which will kill the eggs, larvae or adult beetles and stop the
wood from being reinfested. Now, it soaks right into untreated wood,
but if your wood is varnished or painted it comes with a wee injector
nozzle which you poke into the flight holes and it scoots in right
into the wood by way of the tunnels the little *******s have made when
they were chewing their way through. The tins come in at about a
fiver each and the injection part is really quite good fun.

How did it get there? Can't be sure, but as far as I know, these
things naturally live outdoors and just tend to fly into houses in
their adult stage. Apparently they like certain conditions and if the
temperature or moisture level is't right the infestation can die off
naturally. Mine have been thriving in a seriously damp part in the
back porch of my house.

Lastly, they work quite slowly, so your wood is probably safe enough
to use. Check your loft though!

Oops. I've written an essay. Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

K***
SadKate***

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:37:38 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring
wrote:

SadKate*** wrote in
:

Oops. I've written an essay. Anyway, hope this helps a bit.

K***

Certainly does; I just shifted a bookcase to drill some holes for new C/H
pipes and found I've got woodworm behind it - new floor and scotia too!

How are you on ants? All very well for Mary to tell me how to find out
about them but I just want to kill them. I always forget about them till
about now

Haven't got a scooby-doo!
Buy a pet aardvark?

Sorry mate.

David W.E. Roberts

"SadKate***" wrote in message
snip
[...]

Thanks, Kate - very useful.

I am not worried about the frame of the outdoor tenty thing - I have some
Cuprinol 5* which should nadger anything still in the wooden frame.

I am more concerned about having to treat my entire loft space because
(a) It is huge
(b) It is full to the brim with assorted crap which would have to be moved
elsewhere during treatment.

I guess I will have to wait till next year and see if any holes appear.

Cheers
Dave R

Peter Ashby

In article 0,
Mike Ring wrote:

How are you on ants? All very well for Mary to tell me how to find out
about them but I just want to kill them. I always forget about them till
about now

With ants you need to be scrupulous about cleanliness so they don't have
a food supply, sugar especially should be in airtight containers, jam in
the fridge. Then you get some proprietary ant killer and put lots of it
about as directed. They will travel a long way for food, if the only
stuff available to them is your poison then they will take that.

Welcome to the effects of global warming.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Mike Ring

Peter Ashby wrote in
news

With ants you need to be scrupulous about cleanliness so they don't
have a food supply, sugar especially should be in airtight containers,
jam in the fridge. Then you get some proprietary ant killer and put
lots of it about as directed. They will travel a long way for food, if
the only stuff available to them is your poison then they will take
that.

These buggers appear to live inside my walls, in a corner as far away from
food as it's possible to get.

But every year they chew up a bit more woodwork.

Kill, kill

mike

Andrew McKay

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 18:15:57 +0000 (UTC), Mike Ring
wrote:

These buggers appear to live inside my walls, in a corner as far away from
food as it's possible to get.

Might be worth checking if your local zoo can loan out a Myrmecophaga
tridactyla for a day.....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Mike Ring

Andrew McKay wrote in
:

Might be worth checking if your local zoo can loan out a Myrmecophaga
tridactyla for a day.....

Migth be a notion, but they're only ordinary little sods, not "Them"

mike r