Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes

Monoprice warns me on the item page that shipping is delayed.

I'm pretty sure Lowes waited until I had paid to tell me that "Store
Pickup: Our stores are currently experiencing higher than normal volume.
Please wait to receive confirmation that your order is ready to be
picked up before heading to the store."

Their webpage was slow as a slow dog, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 16:45:40 -0400, micky
wrote:

Monoprice warns me on the item page that shipping is delayed.

I'm pretty sure Lowes waited until I had paid to tell me that "Store
Pickup: Our stores are currently experiencing higher than normal volume.
Please wait to receive confirmation that your order is ready to be
picked up before heading to the store."

Their webpage was slow as a slow dog, too.

I forgot to say that maybe, even though they say delayed, it will be
ontime.

But 9 minutes after I got the confirmation email, I got two emails
saying it was indeed delayed. 8 DAYS.

One item was that roll of co-ax. The webpage said it had 1.

The other was someething they should have loads of.

HD had a delay on the first one too, but I feel like going back there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Monoprice warns me on the item page that shipping is delayed.

I'm pretty sure Lowes waited until I had paid to tell me that "Store
Pickup: Our stores are currently experiencing higher than normal volume.
Please wait to receive confirmation that your order is ready to be
picked up before heading to the store."

Their webpage was slow as a slow dog, too.

I forgot to say that maybe, even though they say delayed, it will be
ontime.

But 9 minutes after I got the confirmation email, I got two emails
saying it was indeed delayed. 8 DAYS.

One item was that roll of co-ax. The webpage said it had 1.

The other was someething they should have loads of.

HD had a delay on the first one too, but I feel like going back there.

Lowes is the last place I'd think of for coax, price/quality wise.

But then, I get mine at the local metal recycling place priced by the
pound. (RG59 quad shield) Got a couple hundred compression fittings
there too. Picked up ~500 foot roll of waterproof CAT6 there too for a
few bucks. Of course, I have to shop ahead for those prices. I'm set for
a long time.

I've been watching my mail orders recently and have seen much longer
times sitting in PO centers than I used to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I never would have thought of shopping at a metal recycling center. What
you describe sounds like shopping at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore.

I have to ask, though. RG59?? I can't imagine what that might be good for
these days. I guess it's about 12 years ago that I bought a 1000ft roll of
RG6 quad shield with solid copper center conductor, versus copper clad
steel. I was setting up satellite systems at the time and multiplexing
Internet over coax via MoCA adapters.

I've been watching my mail orders recently and have seen much longer
times sitting in PO centers than I used to see.

Same here. The delays aren't always at the same places for us, but most of
our tracked shipments seem to experience some kind of delay recently.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm not in the mood to shop. I want to order online, park the car outf
front and have someone bring it out to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:47:11 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

I guess it's about 12 years ago that I bought a 1000ft roll of

I don't think I've bought any for 30 years, though I could never use
1000 feet.

RG6 quad shield with solid copper center conductor, versus copper clad
steel

I did notice that one mentioned copper clads steel and others didn't say
anything.

Is the copper clad steel stiffer, for installation inside walls?

I'd rather this be flexible like a typpical cable from the wall to the
TV.

Is one better electronicallyr?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I guess it's about 12 years ago that I bought a 1000ft roll of

I don't think I've bought any for 30 years, though I could never use
1000 feet.

RG6 quad shield with solid copper center conductor, versus copper clad
steel

I did notice that one mentioned copper clads steel and others didn't say
anything.

Copper clad steel center conductor is inferior to (and generally less
expensive than) solid copper center conductor. With the copper clad steel,
when you insert the male end of the cable into a female connector, it tends
to scrape some of the copper cladding away. That's can fairly quickly lead
to rust and corrosion, especially for cables installed outdoors.

The brands that use solid copper are usually proud of that fact and tend to
mention it. If they don't say anything, it's probably Cu-steel.

Is the copper clad steel stiffer, for installation inside walls?

Not noticeably stiffer, just inferior quality, IMHO.

I'd rather this be flexible like a typpical cable from the wall to the
TV.

Is one better electronicallyr?

Before rust and corrosion set in, they're probably very close,
electrically.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 06 Aug 2020 01:04:07 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

Is one better electronicallyr?

Before rust and corrosion set in, they're probably very close,
electrically.

Well, what you said is disappointing, but I'm in a hurry and one end at
the signal source (a splitter) will probably only be connected once,
twice at the most. And the other end at the tv will probably go into a
push-on connector. Again just once, at least for several years.

I'll check out what they have tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Turns out the webpage was too compicated for me and I did go in. Not
counting some social situations, probably everyone in Baltimore wears a
mask without being forced to, employees and customers, young and old,
black and white, plus I wore my gloves and mask.

The sell new fancy F-connnectors now,
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Om...-019/202825156
and
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...-606/203578626

Does the second one, and even the first, require the spcial new tool
they have
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...-048/202102678
Or can I still use the plliers type crimper that I already have (both
the $14 and the $40 ones)

**Some people of all sorts even wear the mask when walking alone on the
street or alone in the car!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If it is a tool to crimp this kind of compression fittings, it is
probably appropriate. A crimper for standard wire connectors is not. The
trick I've found is making sure that the shield wires are well spread
back over the cable after unraveling them and pulling them outward first
so the tube in the fitting will slide up inside shield braid as you push
the core wire and insulator into the core tube of the fitting. The
insulator end should be even with the inside flat of the connector with
the 1/4" wire core sticking just beyond the threads before you crimp.
The coax wire stripping tool is very handy also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rbhSZVeyU
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Adding to Bob's reply, if you're going to use compression connectors, which
I strongly recommend, then you'll need the crimper tool that's specifically
made for that type of connector. I bought mine off of Ebay some 15 years
ago for $11, so HD's price of $22 seems high. I see that Amazon has a good
selection of tools, as does Ebay.

The actual connectors that I use are by a company called Thomas & Betts and
I picked those because all of the cable installers in my area swear by
them. They come in colors for different sizes of coax - I use the purple
ones for my RG6.

Also, +1 on Bob's recommendation to pick up a coax stripper. Technically,
you can use a razor blade or a knife, but the stripper makes it drop dead
easy to properly prepare the coax for use in a compression fitting.

Between the stripper, the compression connectors, and the compression
crimper, you can make patch cables as good as anything you can find.

I assume you're shopping at HD because it's more convenient, but you'll be
paying for that convenience. Ebay and Amazon will save you some money.

One last bit of advice. Watch for stingers. Those are stray strands of the
outer braided conductor that accidentally get pulled in to where they touch
the center conductor. If it happens, and it generally doesn't, just cut off
the connector and start again with a new one. Once compressed, you can't
reuse a compression connector.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 06 Aug 2020 16:54:57 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

Micky if you still read my posts let me know. I had a reply written which would
help you but it suddenly suddenly disappeared. A quick answer:

1 Yes, good
2 No need if you have #1
3 Yes
4 A stripper

I prefer Ideal for all these items. Plier type strippers will NOT work.

--
Tekkie