Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Lowes

On Thu, 06 Aug 2020 01:04:45 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 23:47:11 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

I guess it's about 12 years ago that I bought a 1000ft roll of

I don't think I've bought any for 30 years, though I could never use
1000 feet.

RG6 quad shield with solid copper center conductor, versus copper clad
steel

I did notice that one mentioned copper clads steel and others didn't say
anything.

Copper clad steel center conductor is inferior to (and generally less
expensive than) solid copper center conductor. With the copper clad steel,
when you insert the male end of the cable into a female connector, it tends
to scrape some of the copper cladding away. That's can fairly quickly lead
to rust and corrosion, especially for cables installed outdoors.

The brands that use solid copper are usually proud of that fact and tend to
mention it. If they don't say anything, it's probably Cu-steel.

Is the copper clad steel stiffer, for installation inside walls?

Not noticeably stiffer, just inferior quality, IMHO.

I'd rather this be flexible like a typpical cable from the wall to the
TV.

Is one better electronicallyr?

Before rust and corrosion set in, they're probably very close,
electrically.