Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Actual LED TVs? do they exist?

Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I can't find any such thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 17:56:23 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

FLUSH the abnormal clinically insane attention whore's latest sick
attention-baiting bull**** unread again

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Are any TVs just LED?** Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

Usually called O-LED

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:54:59 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Andy

I left out "over the air broadcasters".

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 13:23:30 -0400, "Retarded, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

He means will you take his bait or not, senile idiot! Just HOW senile are
you? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2020 1:56 PM, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:54:59 PM UTC-5, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Andy

I left out "over the air broadcasters".

There are other sources though. You can cast from your computer too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2020 1:54 PM, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Andy

An the human eye can only distinguish so much of resolution. Similar to
camera megapixels. For average size photos, the human eye can't view
beyond 6 megapixels, some can see 8. The difference is during enlarging
when they become noticeable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 1:23:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

Only some of those, the more expensive organic LED ones, are that.
The full array LED TVs just use LEDs for backlighting, not for generating
the colors.

No more Sony crap for me. I had one of their $2000 LCD TVs, it lasted about
4 years, then the cable that's bonded to the panel started to separate,
resulting in first just a bad line or two, then progressive picture loss.
I googled, found it was a common problem, lots of ****ed off customers.
I took it apart, managed to do so gluing and retrofitting to try to push
against it, keep it in contact. That worked for about 3 months.
Sony offered a couple hundred bucks
off one of their new TVs as their idea of how to make up for it. I said
screw you, Thanksgiving Black Friday I picked up a Westinghouse 55" at
target. Four years later, it's still perfect and the picture is perfectly
fine, I don't miss the Sony baloney.

I also had one of their home theater systems that failed after just a
few years too. That was weird too. The inputs went, one at a time.
When it first stopped working I switched from electrical to optical and
that worked for another year or so. Then that input went, I think I
switched again and then none worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 21:31:14 +0100, Hawk wrote:

On 7/27/2020 1:54 PM, AK wrote:
On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

An the human eye can only distinguish so much of resolution. Similar to
camera megapixels. For average size photos, the human eye can't view
beyond 6 megapixels, some can see 8. The difference is during enlarging
when they become noticeable.

At TV size you can see 4K and 8K quite easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 22:35:02 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Sony is like BMW. Overpriced and badly designed.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:54:55 +0100, AK wrote:

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will long before your new 4K TV wears out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 4:59:35 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:54:55 +0100, AK wrote:

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will long before your new 4K TV wears out.

You must have missed my followup post where I specified over the air stations.

I don't think TV stations are in any hurry to spend the big bucks to go to the
ATSC 3.0 standard.

It took forever to go to digital.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I seem to recall that there was a problem with overheating and differing
efficiencies and light vs current curves of the colours. Also the colours
may look right but often were not.
I don't know what the likes of Sony are doing but I guess it depends on
subjective factors.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

Usually called O-LED

--
*Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until
you hear them speak.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I would not say they are any worse or better than others, but sadly in
today's market the makers do tend to cut corners, and depending on which
corners get cut it affects life.
Samsung tend to suffer with cheap capacitors, Sony often don't test
enough, this particularly shows in mechanical rigidity, and firmware cock
ups. Panasonic expensive gear seems very good, but it looks like the cheaper
end are badge engineered off the shelf products.
Brian

--
----- --

newsp.0ofoni0mwdg98l@glass...
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile BLIND ASSHOLE Alert!

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 07:24:01 +0100,Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I would not say

I say that you are a revolting troll-feeding senile asshole. And your being
"blind" doesn't make you less of a revolting troll-feeding senile asshole!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:29:46 -0700 (PDT), AK, yet another mentally
challenged troll-feeding senile moron, blathered:

You must have missed my followup post where I specified over the air stations.

Nope, but YOU missed that he is a proven clinically insane sociopath
trolling for attention on these groups!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 22:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will
long before your new 4K TV wears out.

Before long any 4K broadcast or stream will be so lossy compressed it
will not be better quality than SD broadcasts of the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I seem to recall that there was a problem with overheating and differing
efficiencies and light vs current curves of the colours. Also the colours
may look right but often were not.
I don't know what the likes of Sony are doing but I guess it depends on
subjective factors.
Brian

Large TV sets are on offer with OLED technology. 55 inch, 65 inch, prices to match.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...-can-buy-today

There are a limited number of OLED substrate suppliers. It appears
the materials are modular enough, to scale up the design.

There are different types as well. QD is Quantum Dot.

"Quantum dots have properties intermediate between bulk semiconductors and
discrete atoms or molecules. Their optoelectronic properties change as a
function of both size and shape"

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-a...arket-squeeze/

"Another pain-point for LG will be that Samsung's QD-OLED will
actually use the "problematic" blue pixel as its light source and
use red and green QD colour filters that in theory, decrease the
chance of burn-in. If Samsung's QD-OLED is able to achieve this,
and avoid burn-in, the panels will actually be able to show
"true colours" as it will not use white pixel filters."

It appears the writers of these articles have taken a few
too many "drama classes" in school.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:27:34 +0100, anal_m, the notorious troll-feeding
senile retard, blathered again:

Before long any 4K broadcast or stream will be so lossy compressed it
will not be better quality than SD broadcasts of the past.

BOTH of you only qualify as PRIZE IDIOTS, anal_m!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 17:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Are any TVs just LED?** Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

I've got a camcorder with an OLED screen which got fainter and fainter
and redder and redder until now I can only see it in a darkened room.

--
Max Demian
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 27/07/2020 22:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:54:55 +0100, AK wrote:

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?** Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

Not from a broadcast feed you didn't. That was streaming over
your phone line. Only SKY broadcast 4K, afaik.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will
long before your new 4K TV wears out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 11:45:33, Max Demian wrote:
On 27/07/2020 17:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Are any TVs just LED?** Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

I've got a camcorder with an OLED screen which got fainter and fainter
and redder and redder until now I can only see it in a darkened room.

I had a mobile phone a while ago that was OLED. Probably very low power
but had terrible image burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 12:56, Andrew wrote:
[...]

BT has a live 4K sports channel.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:56:07 +0100, Andrew, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile moron, blathered again:

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

Not from a broadcast feed you didn't. That was streaming over

Funny how you senile assholes keep falling for the dumbest baits the
Scottish ****** sets out for you! I suppose it's wanking time for him again
over the huge success of his latest troll! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:45:33 +0100, Max Dumb, another mentally deficient
inveterate troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I've got a camcorder with an OLED screen which got fainter and fainter

Somewhat like your OLD brain getting fainter and fainter, eh, troll-feeding
senile moron?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2020 14:32, Bod wrote:
[...]

But still not broadcast, only available with decent broadband
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:27:34 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 27/07/2020 22:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will
long before your new 4K TV wears out.

Before long any 4K broadcast or stream will be so lossy compressed it
will not be better quality than SD broadcasts of the past.

You get what you pay for. Eurosport SD is ****, probably to make you pay for HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 02:29:46 +0100, AK wrote:

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 4:59:35 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 18:54:55 +0100, AK wrote:

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 12:23:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED? Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel? I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

https://www.techhive.com/article/247..._led_hdtv.html

I do not see much point in 4K and 8K TVs.

No one broadcasts in that resolution.

Funny how I watched The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime at 4K.

And even if you're favourite ****ty broadcaster doesn't yet, they will long before your new 4K TV wears out.

You must have missed my followup post where I specified over the air stations.

People still use that system? Even Sky TV in the UK is considering moving to internet only. So many advantages, like being able to watch anything at any time you like.

I don't think TV stations are in any hurry to spend the big bucks to go to the
ATSC 3.0 standard.

It took forever to go to digital.

When most people have a 4K or better TV, any station broadcasting 4K will get all the customers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0o819ul8wdg98l@glass...
When most people have a 4K or better TV, any station broadcasting 4K will
get all the customers.

Sadly that is probably true, whether or not those stations are the ones
broadcasting the programmes that people want to watch. It's the equivalent
of saying (as I remember people saying when colour TV began, though not in
these words) "I'd rather watch crap in colour than a decent programme in
black and white".

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:24:52 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0o819ul8wdg98l@glass...
When most people have a 4K or better TV, any station broadcasting 4K will
get all the customers.

Sadly that is probably true, whether or not those stations are the ones
broadcasting the programmes that people want to watch. It's the equivalent
of saying (as I remember people saying when colour TV began, though not in
these words) "I'd rather watch crap in colour than a decent programme in
black and white".

There are still people* who watch movies on DVD, so I'd guess that 1080
will still draw some folks after 4k is here.

*I call those people "not me".

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 19:22:22 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 28/07/2020 14:32, Bod wrote:
[...]

And the method of transferring the data matters why?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:24:52 +0100, NY wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0o819ul8wdg98l@glass...
When most people have a 4K or better TV, any station broadcasting 4K will
get all the customers.

Sadly that is probably true, whether or not those stations are the ones
broadcasting the programmes that people want to watch. It's the equivalent
of saying (as I remember people saying when colour TV began, though not in
these words) "I'd rather watch crap in colour than a decent programme in
black and white".

Why sadly? Would you watch black and white?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile HUGE ASSHOLE Alert!

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:24:52 +0100, NY, the really endlessly blathering,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

Sadly that is probably true

Sadliy it IS true that you ARE a sick troll-feeding senile swine!

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0o8490olwdg98l@glass...
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 20:24:52 +0100, NY wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0o819ul8wdg98l@glass...
When most people have a 4K or better TV, any station broadcasting 4K
will
get all the customers.

Sadly that is probably true, whether or not those stations are the ones
broadcasting the programmes that people want to watch. It's the
equivalent
of saying (as I remember people saying when colour TV began, though not
in
these words) "I'd rather watch crap in colour than a decent programme in
black and white".

Why sadly? Would you watch black and white?

Yes, if it was the programme I wanted to see. I'd wish it had been made in
colour, or that a colour copy still existed, but I'd still watch.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 22:02:24 +0100, NY, the really endlessly blathering,
notorious, troll-feeding, senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

Yes, if it was the programme I wanted to see. I'd wish it had been made in
colour, or that a colour copy still existed, but I'd still watch.

I wish you'd finally choke on the unwashed Scottish ******'s cock, you
disgusting troll-feeding senile asshole!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 22:02:24 +0100, NY wrote:

[...]

I don't. No more than I'd go on a roller coaster with a blindfold on. Removing most of the information makes the experience not worthwhile.