Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Actual LED TVs? do they exist?

On Monday, July 27, 2020 at 1:23:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Are any TVs just LED?Â*Â* Or is LED just a backlight to an LCD panel?Â* I
thought they'd invented TVs where every dot was a tricolour LED, but I
can't find any such thing.

You mean like these:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tv/t/led-televisions

Not tri-color LEDs, but millions of each RGB color

Only some of those, the more expensive organic LED ones, are that.
The full array LED TVs just use LEDs for backlighting, not for generating
the colors.

No more Sony crap for me. I had one of their $2000 LCD TVs, it lasted about
4 years, then the cable that's bonded to the panel started to separate,
resulting in first just a bad line or two, then progressive picture loss.
I googled, found it was a common problem, lots of ****ed off customers.
I took it apart, managed to do so gluing and retrofitting to try to push
against it, keep it in contact. That worked for about 3 months.
Sony offered a couple hundred bucks
off one of their new TVs as their idea of how to make up for it. I said
screw you, Thanksgiving Black Friday I picked up a Westinghouse 55" at
target. Four years later, it's still perfect and the picture is perfectly
fine, I don't miss the Sony baloney.

I also had one of their home theater systems that failed after just a
few years too. That was weird too. The inputs went, one at a time.
When it first stopped working I switched from electrical to optical and
that worked for another year or so. Then that input went, I think I
switched again and then none worked.