Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asymmetric hinges, do they exist, do they have a special name?

I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other
flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so,
what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges
which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/09/2019 17:01, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other
flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so,
what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges
which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

There are things called "parliament hinges" which you can find with
google. Perhaps not exactly what you want but they may be suitable. I
had to use them for our back door so that it would clear the kitchen
cupboards.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about hose you often see on sheds
with one bit like three vertical screws, but the other side is a long
pointed bit with screws all the way along it? The Rustic look, or in the
case of my shed, rusty!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other
flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so,
what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges
which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 02/09/2019 17:01, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other
flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so,
what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges
which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

There are things called "parliament hinges" which you can find with
google. Perhaps not exactly what you want but they may be suitable. I
had to use them for our back door so that it would clear the kitchen
cupboards.

Not quite. I have some parliament hinges one one of my garage doors,
they are designed to move the pivot clear of wall/door.

I don't want to move the pivot but I need the fixing point set further
back on one side than the other.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 17:01:47 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I'm after some hinges with one flap about 18mm across and the other
flap twice as much or even more. Are there such things and, if so,
what are they called?

If they don't exist then I'll have to make do with some flush hinges
which are sort of 'near enough' but may not be very robust.

Not quite sure what you mean, but something like these
http://tinyurl.com/yyzwonbo or did you mean the flap length, in which

These are what I'd call flush hinges, they might work but aren't ideal.

case an H hinge and cut one side down to size
http://tinyurl.com/yxmsly3q

But what I need is more 'reach' on one side than the other, e.g.
(ASCII art coming up)192.168.1.95:-

_______
|.| .|
|.| .|
|.| .|
-------

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about hose you often see on sheds
with one bit like three vertical screws, but the other side is a long
pointed bit with screws all the way along it? The Rustic look, or in the
case of my shed, rusty!

Yes, of course, you've pointed me in the right direction. What I want
is a small strap hinge. I want the 'short' side small enough to fit
onto the edge of an 18mm thick door while the long side will be fixed
onto a wall.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about hose you often see on sheds
with one bit like three vertical screws, but the other side is a long
pointed bit with screws all the way along it? The Rustic look, or in the
case of my shed, rusty!

Yes, of course, you've pointed me in the right direction. What I want
is a small strap hinge. I want the 'short' side small enough to fit
onto the edge of an 18mm thick door while the long side will be fixed
onto a wall.

Or, more correctly, a tee hinge. I need small ones though, probably
75mm, and I want 'nice looking' ones for indoor domestic use.

There are also 'short sided' hinges which would provide what I want.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

what I need is more 'reach' on one side than the other

inset cabinet hinges, e.g.

https://i0.wp.com/cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1082/8880/products/Self-Closing_Face_Mount_Inset_Cabinet_Hinges_-_0.375_Inch_-_Satin_Nickel_2aba3914-e6a9-4230-9258-066b586cfe1f_grande.jpg?v=1556507394

They look a bit lightweight though, if you were hoping to use them on a
door ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 10:18:44 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about hose you often see on sheds
with one bit like three vertical screws, but the other side is a long
pointed bit with screws all the way along it? The Rustic look, or in the
case of my shed, rusty!

Yes, of course, you've pointed me in the right direction. What I want
is a small strap hinge. I want the 'short' side small enough to fit
onto the edge of an 18mm thick door while the long side will be fixed
onto a wall.

Or, more correctly, a tee hinge. I need small ones though, probably
75mm, and I want 'nice looking' ones for indoor domestic use.

There are also 'short sided' hinges which would provide what I want.

I've just looked for asymmetric hinge on Google images, and found
quite a few but foreign.

A diagram of a hinge pin being removed gave me the idea that you could
buy big and small hinges from the same maker, then pair them oddly
after removing and replacing the pins.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

Yes, I found quite a few 'possibles' in my continued searches using
'tee', 'short sided', etc. in the search. However some of the prices
are insane, like why are these £32 :-

https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/cabinet-...SABEgJb1vD_BwE

Just two flat plates with a pin through. I did eventually find
similar from Hong Kong for about £1. For some reason hinges seem to
be sold by rip-off merchants, I found one from 'Suffolk Latches' which
was £16 but the identical item from the same dealer's eBay shop was £8.

At a lower level tee hinges from B&Q cost £5 and up, identical items
from Toolstation and Screwfix are less than one pound. Yes, I know
B&Q are hardly renowned for low prices but the differential in hinge
prices seems worse than for most things.

--
Chris Green
·

Almost straight hooks, do they have a special name? [email protected] UK diy 25 January 28th 16 12:45 AM
Years ago on TV they showed a ring which was used to keep plastic bags open when sweeping leaves etc. Do they exist? Jim S UK diy 21 January 11th 15 05:01 PM
Hinges that work in two directions - special name? [email protected] UK diy 17 April 28th 14 09:07 AM
Special Hinges TrailRat Woodworking 3 February 18th 08 06:44 PM
Source for Asymmetric Oak Entry Door Threshold baumgrenze Home Repair 2 August 23rd 07 02:21 AM