Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hinges that work in two directions - special name?

I want a joint that can be flexed in two directions at right angles to
each other. In principle I could do this using two hinges with one
plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the other.

Is there a 'ready made' piece of hardware that can do this? If so,
what is it called?

I don't want a ball joint because movement in all directions isn't
necessary and a ball joint generally won't allow 90 degrees (or more)
of flexion like a hinge.

The device I want would allow me to fix a bar to a surface and swing
it 180 degrees in two planes (at 90 degrees to each other).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee wrote:
On 26/04/2014 11:00, wrote:
I want a joint that can be flexed in two directions at right angles to
each other. In principle I could do this using two hinges with one
plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the other.

Is there a 'ready made' piece of hardware that can do this? If so,
what is it called?

I don't want a ball joint because movement in all directions isn't
necessary and a ball joint generally won't allow 90 degrees (or more)
of flexion like a hinge.

The device I want would allow me to fix a bar to a surface and swing
it 180 degrees in two planes (at 90 degrees to each other).

This sort of thing?
http://www.amazon.com/Sugatsune-HG-T.../dp/B00GKZDAMO

That's just about *exactly* what I'm after, however the price is a bit
OTT. I need 16 (or maybe 24) of them which would add up to something
like £800. However maybe 'dual axis hinge' is something to search for.

Thank you.

If anyone can come up with a cheaper version of the above I'd be very
grateful.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its something like the old joysticks that controlled models used to have.
Gimbals I think they used to be called.
One ring inside the other with right angled pins that rotated with the
stick sticking out of the middle at 90 degrees.

Very few would go 180 degrees though before hitting the frame.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message ...
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , writes
Nick Odell wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:00:59 +0100,
wrote:

I want a joint that can be flexed in two directions at right angles
each other. In principle I could do this using two hinges with one
plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate of the other.

Is there a 'ready made' piece of hardware that can do this? If so,
what is it called?

I don't want a ball joint because movement in all directions isn't
necessary and a ball joint generally won't allow 90 degrees (or more)
of flexion like a hinge.

The device I want would allow me to fix a bar to a surface and swing
it 180 degrees in two planes (at 90 degrees to each other).

Like a saloon door hinge? Sometimes called a cafe door hinge?

No, that's just 180 degrees in one plane, I want 180 degrees in two
planes. I probably don't really need the full 180 degrees, just the
sort of arc a normal hinge can manage, but in two planes.

er... Can't you just secure 2 conventional hinges together?

I did say in my original description "... I could do this using two
hinges with one plate of one hinge fixed at right angles to one plate
of the other", I was just looking/hoping for a neater solution.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
wrote:

I do need some friction but it may well be by tightening a wing nut or
similar, the chances of getting it just right otherwise are negligable.

I had this problem. I made 30mm dia rubber washers from 1/16" rubber
sheet, and sandwiched each of them between smooth 35mm washers. One of
each pair of washers was tack weled at the very edge to one arm and the
other of the pair to the other arm. I adjusted the tension then set it
by locking two nuts together. This was for something in frequent use
and it has stayed OK for many years.

On a smaller scale I have just made some adjustable brackets for the
headlights for my wife's disability machine. Since these would not be
adjusted often I simply used nuts, bolts, serrated washers, and locktite.

My desk lamp has the provision sought. Plastic tubular *T* with a double
yoke trapping the T top. The leg fits into a split sleeve which is
itself retained by a slot in the lamp arm.

I guess this was purpose made for Anglepoise so not much help to the OP.
--
Tim Lamb