Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need special hinges

Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door
trim. (There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1")
between the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for
the door to swing with a regular hinge.

The contractor who did most of the other work on this project told me to
look for special hinges that would move the door laterally before
swinging it to clear this obstruction. So far, I've had no luck trying
to locate it calling around locally. I even called Rockler and asked
them. Closest thing they have are "flipper" hinges, but those won't work
here.

Anyone know of such hinges? I'm guessing they would be articulated to
slide the door sideways first before swinging.

Any help much appreciated to get this project finished.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Found here...:
http://www.woodworking-heaven.flower...l-hinges.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Jim" nospam@wherever wrote in message
el...

[...]

More precisely he

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22155

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2010 5:59 PM Jim spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door trim.
(There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1") between
the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for the door
to swing with a regular hinge.

Anyone know of such hinges? I'm guessing they would be articulated to
slide the door sideways first before swinging.

Found here...:
http://www.woodworking-heaven.flower...l-hinges.shtml

Well, you da man. Or at least my first reaction was "you da man!" when I
saw that page. At least until I saw the price for the hinges that might
work (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22155):

$150 a set! No frigging way.

But you still the man for finding that so fast. What I wonder is why the
guy I talked to--*at Rockler*--said they didn't have any hinges that
would solve my problem. I explained the situation clearly.

So now I'm scratching my head, doodling and wondering whether a
multi-leaf hinge (like this:
http://www.marlborohinge.com/multileafhinges.asp) might work.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 8:26*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/8/2010 5:59 PM Jim spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...

[...]

A sketch/top view of the problem would help, I can't visualize what
the problem is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think a hinge will solve this. You need a narrower cabinet to move
the door away from the trim so it can open. Then you need a filler to fill
the space between the cabinet and the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why can't you hinge the door on the otherside.

If it has to hinge this side the cabinet should have been a little narrower
and a filler strip added.

If someone designed this for you and supplied the cabinets you may be able
get them to return the cabinet and get the right one.

This happened to my in-laws when Home Depot measured at the counter height
for a run of cabinets and not at the top of the cabinets. Well one wall was
out of plumb the wrong way and the top cabinet just was not going to fit.
Home Depot took back the cabinet and ordered the correct one.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also those hinges don't look like they will work. I don't think you have
enough room for the door to move "out" before it slides. It looks like you
need about 2.5" of clearance before it starts to slide to side.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/8/2010 7:16 PM Cliff Hartle spake thus:

Why can't you hinge the door on the otherside.

Because the door trim would hit the edge of the door and prevent it from
opening.

If it has to hinge this side the cabinet should have been a little narrower
and a filler strip added.

If someone designed this for you and supplied the cabinets you may be able
get them to return the cabinet and get the right one.

Cabinets are from Ikea. What we got is what we got.

Obviously, if they were custom cabinets they (homeowner and contractor
who did most of the work) would have come up with another design. As it
was, two base cabinets and an all-in-one compact kitchen unit filled the
space exactly.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door
trim. (There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room
(~1") between the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough
room for the door to swing with a regular hinge.

The contractor who did most of the other work on this project told me
to look for special hinges that would move the door laterally before
swinging it to clear this obstruction. So far, I've had no luck trying
to locate it calling around locally. I even called Rockler and asked
them. Closest thing they have are "flipper" hinges, but those won't
work here.

Anyone know of such hinges? I'm guessing they would be articulated to
slide the door sideways first before swinging.

Any help much appreciated to get this project finished.

Hinge at the top (or bottom, depending on the cabinet), like an overhead
bin?

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Maybe their offset hinge...
http://www.marlborohinge.com/customoffsetshinges.asp

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 1/8/2010 7:16 PM Cliff Hartle spake thus:

Why can't you hinge the door on the otherside.

Because the door trim would hit the edge of the door and prevent it from
opening.

If it has to hinge this side the cabinet should have been a little narrower
and a filler strip added.

If someone designed this for you and supplied the cabinets you may be able
get them to return the cabinet and get the right one.

Cabinets are from Ikea. What we got is what we got.

Obviously, if they were custom cabinets they (homeowner and contractor
who did most of the work) would have come up with another design. As it
was, two base cabinets and an all-in-one compact kitchen unit filled the
space exactly.

- a Usenet "apology"

My recommendation if the door style allows it, is to cut a 1" strip off
the hinge side of the door, permanently affix that to the base cabinet,
and re-hinge the door that 1" over. Not as elegant as some $150 exotic
hinges, but simple and effective and if done with concealed back mount
hinges probably not very noticeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door
trim. (There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1")
between the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for
the door to swing with a regular hinge.

If there is another cabinet door right next to it, you may be able to
turn the two cabinet doors into a bi-fold door with folding door hinges
connecting them in the middle.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2289

You would need to be sure that the other set of hinges was able to
handle the additional weight of a bi-fold door.

--Betsy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lowes and Home Cheepo have some strange cabinet hinges.
Typically along the aisle, in pull out plastic drawers, or
tip out drawers. USually plastic wrapped.
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/produ...Hinge-/9149188
One such typical hinge.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/8/2010 6:37 PM hr(bob) spake thus:

On Jan 8, 8:26 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door
trim.
(There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1")
between
the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for the
door
to swing with a regular hinge.

A sketch/top view of the problem would help, I can't visualize what
the problem is.

Well, since folks seem to take such a dislike to my posting SMALL
PICTURES here, let me try to explain:

Well, since usenet is text-only protocol, most won't see 'em anyway...

Cabinet is installed against a wall. Directly in front of the cabinet
front is a piece of door trim nailed to the wall. There's about an inch
between the edge of the door trim and the front of the cabinet. Just
enough room to mount a door on the front of the cabinet (door on front
of the cabinet, not flush with frame), but not enough room for the door
to swing open without hitting the door trim. Got it?

As others said, what you really needed was to have used a 2" narrower
cabinet w/ a filler strip (and for most satisfactory results in the long
run probably should still consider that option--or the probably
not-so-good modify the current cabinet/door).

I don't have a link for a less-expensive hinge, but you might try
Woodworkers' Hardware (MN). Don't recall if url is
www.woodworkershardware.com or some variant but a google would
undoubtedly find it. They've the largest selection of stuff I'm aware
of outside the very high priced spread such as previously found.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Lowes and Home Cheepo have some strange cabinet hinges.
Typically along the aisle, in pull out plastic drawers, or
tip out drawers. USually plastic wrapped.
http://www.thehardwarecity.com/produ...Hinge-/9149188
One such typical hinge.

Which is nothing but a standard euro-style hinge that won't do anything
for the OP's stated problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2010 5:52 AM dadiOH spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Could you...

1. rip off an inch or so from the door edge

2. afix offcut to cabinet

3. hinge remainder of door to offcut

Yes. If all else fails, that will probably be Plan B. (Would amend your
step 3 to "hinge remainder of door to cabinet", though.)

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Are these real wood, or (like most Ikea stuff) melamine-covered
chipboard, with some sort of edge trim? If the latter, you will have
trouble reworking the door. Can you post a pointer to the cabinet on the
Ikea site, so we can see what it looks like? Does Ikea sell narrower
replacement doors and filler panels of any sort?

(looks at Ikea site, kitchen section)

Doesn't look promising. Most of the stuff is chipboard, and not much
apparent choice in widths. (Unless maybe the door you have is wide, and
you can buy a narrower one, and cut one edge off existing door, so you
can shove cut edge against wall so only a factory edge shows. You'd need
to add a hardwood rail vertically in cabinet to mount the hinges to, and
to catch the edge of the cut-down door used as filler panel.)

I'd be tempted to take the casing off that side of the door opening, and
flush it in somehow. How many doors in the room? Changing all the
visible door casings might be less labor than modifying the cabinet, if
there is absolutely no way to fine-tune reality and slide the whole wall
of cabinets down an inch or two. Otherwise, just screw that door shut,
and live with reaching around in that corner cabinet. Or add blocks in
the cabinet carcass, and mount the door with velcro tape or magnets, so
you can yank it off for those once-a-year pots and pans.

--
aem sends, seeing why people diss Ikea....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2010 2:53 PM aemeijers spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

The cabinets are all laminate-covered particle board, but the doors are
solid wood. And no, they only have doors that match the widths of their
cabinets (12", 15", etc.). I'm about to rip a piece off the door, which
should solve the problem nicely. Will have to dig out the cavity for the
hinge a little bit on the cut-off piece, so the hinge doesn't grab that
part of the door. The hinge pivot seems to be just far enough in from
the edge of the cabinet that this kluge should work. (I may have to trim
the door some more, but not much, I hope.)

aem sends, seeing why people diss Ikea....

Ackshooly, none of this is in any way indicative of faults or
shortcomings on the part of Ikea cabinets. They're actually quite
appropriate to this situation (an inexpensive remodel of a garage into a
living space). I'm going to write a review here on the subject any day now.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Need some special hinges, possibly some Euro-style ones.

Problem: Installed a kitchen cabinet that is behind a piece of door
trim. (There was no other way to do it.) There's just enough room (~1")
between the cabinet and trim to mount the door, but not enough room for
the door to swing with a regular hinge.

The contractor who did most of the other work on this project told me to
look for special hinges that would move the door laterally before
swinging it to clear this obstruction. So far, I've had no luck trying
to locate it calling around locally. I even called Rockler and asked
them. Closest thing they have are "flipper" hinges, but those won't work
here.

Anyone know of such hinges? I'm guessing they would be articulated to
slide the door sideways first before swinging.

Any help much appreciated to get this project finished.

If there is the usual 1/4" to 1/2" space between each cabinet, and just
the fronts cover that gap, you could take them all down and rip an extra
1/8 or more inch off each one. Depends on how many cabinets are on that
wall. Also the cabinet at the opposite end may be able to be modified
to make it narrower easier than the one you are having trouble with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2010 6:46 AM Tony spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

You don't understand (or I didn't make the installation clear enough in
my description). There are two cabinets, one on each side of an
all-in-one compact kitchen unit (stove/fridge/sink). There is ZERO space
between anything. No way to take anything off of anything, except the
one door on the cabinet at the end behind the door trim, which is what
I'm going to do. (Plus the all-in-one unit can't be moved at all, since
it's now plumbed in to the wall.)

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I see. I didn't catch that part, I pictured a wall of cabinets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, since folks seem to take such a dislike to my posting SMALL
PICTURES here, let me try to explain:

Let's see, we go through the "how to post a picture somewhere else and
post the link to it here" discussion about twice per day. Try it. You'll
like it.

wtb: special tap Jon[_4_] Metalworking 26 November 9th 19 04:18 AM
Wow, I must be someone special SteveB[_9_] Metalworking 7 August 16th 09 07:05 AM
Ok and now on to the hinges! TrailRat UK diy 4 September 25th 08 05:10 PM
Special Hinges TrailRat Woodworking 3 February 18th 08 06:44 PM
FS: NOS hinges Bob Schmall Woodworking 2 January 9th 06 02:47 PM