DaddyMonkey

Default PLEASE HELP Contractor NOW wants money!!! (little long)

This 'man' builds, moves, and sells sheds.

I first dealt with him in the late 80's, as he was bulldozes-ing land
for a pond, and instead of burning the hardwood, he sold me some...

Anyway... I had some sheds that needed to be moved because of
landscaping needs and slight irrigation problems, so,
I went to him for help. This was in March

He delivered a small truck trailer... I'm not sure of it's size (about
10'X 25', 8' tall)... and, I moved my belonging from the sheds into the
his trailer.

I had two single-axle dump-trucks of dirt delivered, and then had a
neighbor with a tractor spread the dirt out. ( This wasn't until
End-April) This wasn't enough dirt, so I ordered another truck- load.
It came about Mid-May... I covered the dirt with a tarp, and it has
rained about every weekend since.
(My neighbor works weekdays).

Almost 6 inches of rain fell within June
again in July and by Mid-August... with over 9 inches of rain, I had
become frustrated and called the shed-moving company and asked if there
was a way for them to help me... even if it would cost me a few hundred
dollars to help me have the dirt moved and levelled. ?

They couldn't answer... because the owner of the company was on vacation
until the 26th of August.

I'd planned on calling him today, the 30th of August, but, before I had
called him, he had left a phone call on my voice mail. He says... in a
nutshell that he doesn't want my bill to get too high ....and wonders
"where we stand".

When I call him back, I apologized about he long delay and lack of
communication, and explained my situation, with the weather and all....

He stated that there was an $89.00 a month "usage fee" for the use of
the trailer and that my bill was getting excessive.

--I couldn't believe it...
We never discussed a fee for the trailer before-hand...

I simply said that we never discussed a price for the storage trailer
and that I wished we had discussed it before-hand...

He said, "What, did you expect it for free?"..... and I said " I didn't
know one way or the other"....

I stated that " I wish we had sighed a contract" .... he says, "we
don't sign contracts here"

He said... as he was dropping off the trailer... he was THINKING of
renting- out those trailers , because of the I-Pod and other trailer
rental agencies...

We NEVER-EVER spoke about a rental charge for the trailer, and NOW he
wants about $100 for the first trailer move (which is ok with me)...
BUT, he wants about $550 for the trailer rental!

Am I right to tell him to "kiss-my-foot"... or should I "Be a man...
suck-up, and foot SOME of the cost"?????

Red Neckerson

"DaddyMonkey" wrote

SIP

We NEVER-EVER spoke about a rental charge for the trailer, and NOW he
wants about $100 for the first trailer move (which is ok with me)...
BUT, he wants about $550 for the trailer rental!

Am I right to tell him to "kiss-my-foot"... or should I "Be a man...
suck-up, and foot SOME of the cost"?????

What? Do you think those are FREE???

"Oh, sure pal! You can just use this for as long as you want for FREE! I'll
just be losing the $89 a month I would nornally get from A PAYING
CUSTOMER!!!!"

$550 is cheap! (Since March??!!!!)

Pay him or end up in court......

Art

If he is not gouging you then pay it. Call someone else to find out what it
should have cost. You had prior business with him and apparently he thought
there was some trust between you. Find a fair price and pay it.

"DaddyMonkey" wrote in message
[...]

Colbyt

[...]

You should swallow hard, suck it up and pay the man. The price sounds
reasonable from where I sit.

Next time you will know to ask the cost before you contract for services.

I am sorry. I know this is not the answer you wanted.

Colbyt

JerryMouse

xeroid wrote:
If it where me .... and this is only an opinion .... and you point
out that he never discussed a fee for the trailer .... and the fact
that he waited this long to mention anything ... I would try and be
fair and maybe split the requested fee of $550.00 if and only if you
believe he is a honest person. If he is not a reasonable person, or
argues this .... I would give him nothing at all and tell him to get
the trailer off your lot before you charge him for storing it there.
There is really nothing he can do ... there is no signed contract.

Where'd you get the screwball notion that contracts have to be signed? Only
in a few specific cases (such as the sale of real property) does the law
require written contracts.

A contract exists here - and will be enforced - for several reasons: Unjust
enrichment, usual practice within the industry, delay the cause of the
trailer 'renter,' and so on.

DaddyMonkey

Read the entire post before responding!

I clearly stated that HE SAID that he was "THINKING" of renting-out
these trailers before he delivered it to me.

...end up in court?
...with no contract?

DaddyMonkey

Thanks!

I don't feel gouged by his asking $89.00 a month, just a little
betrayed... IF ONLY he would have asked for the price up-front.

It's true I had prior business with him in the past, but trust is a
two-way street...

Would a fair price be 50/50 withOUT prior agreement?

DaddyMonkey

Here in the country a handshake is good
...or at least a verbal agreement.

This contractor and I spoke NO words of trailer usage/money before-hand

dadiOH

DaddyMonkey wrote:
Here in the country a handshake is good
..or at least a verbal agreement.

This contractor and I spoke NO words of trailer usage/money before-
hand

1. You have his trailer.

2. You have had it for a long time

3. He could not use it while you had it.

Pay him for cryin' out loud!

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Nate

Inserted

"DaddyMonkey" wrote
This 'man' builds, moves, and sells sheds.
This was in March

He delivered a small truck trailer... I'm not sure of it's size (about
10'X 25', 8' tall)... and, I moved my belonging from the sheds into the
his trailer.

I had two single-axle dump-trucks of dirt delivered, and then had a
neighbor with a tractor spread the dirt out. ( This wasn't until
End-April) This wasn't enough dirt, so I ordered another truck- load.
It came about Mid-May... I covered the dirt with a tarp, and it has
rained about every weekend since.
(My neighbor works weekdays).

Ahem. Time frame of 2 months? Oh, nevermind I see you're using your
neighbor as an excuse.

Almost 6 inches of rain fell within June
again in July and by Mid-August... with over 9 inches of rain, I had
become frustrated and called the shed-moving company and asked if there
was a way for them to help me... even if it would cost me a few hundred
dollars to help me have the dirt moved and levelled. ?

They couldn't answer... because the owner of the company was on vacation
until the 26th of August.

I'd planned on calling him today, the 30th of August, but, before I had
called him, he had left a phone call on my voice mail. He says... in a
nutshell that he doesn't want my bill to get too high ....and wonders
"where we stand".

When I call him back, I apologized about he long delay and lack of
communication, and explained my situation, with the weather and all....

What about the 2 months prior to the excuse of weather and all? You
acknowledged the long delay. Trust me, we had worse weather than what you
explained, and the construction world didn't come to a halt. You took on a
responsibility, quit blaming everything. You should really immature by
using every excuse you can. Neighbor works weekdays, rain, had a tooth
ache, dog ate my homework.

or should I "Be a man...
suck-up, and foot SOME of the cost"?????

Be a real man, live up to your responsibilities and pay the man _ALL_ the
costs. What's up with being half a man? and the other half is nothing but
excuses.

You're pathetic!

Nate

"Nate" wrote
You should really immature by
using every excuse you can.

Should be:

You _sound_ really immature by using every excuse you can.

DaddyMonkey

1) Yes, I have had his trailer for a long time.

2)Yes, for a long time.

3) Yes for a long time, and he couldn't use it.

4) No words were spoken over duration or monetary.

5) Your point being........??????????

P.S. one neighbor had cancer, next cardic, 3rd has deformed arm.. and
the 4th who could help me ,worked weekdays and could only help
weekends... which were raining cats/dogs.(now, he's trying to get
daughter into college)

P.S.S. If I had KNOWN of the charges, I would've hired help for
about HALF of what I am trying to be charged NOW!

DaddyMonkey

you can do this...
you can do that...

...and what do you do when it's pouring rain outside and you have to cut
the grass? Be a man?
yeahrightsure

Don't gimme that macho BS!

Maybe within YOUR business you can afford on spending OTHER peoples
hard-earned dollars, and I bet if you were to be a man (ie literate) and
read the full posts AND IT BEING YOUR COMPANY, or YOUR hard earned
dollar, maybe you'd think twice before posting some ignorant message
such as " I am mighty and I can-do-it-all"

DaddyMonkey

we al do it form time to yime!
LOL

SJF

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
news
xeroid wrote:
[...]

There is no contract here. Contracts, written or oral, must contain certain
elements such as a consideration, a definite time period, mutual agreement
on the terms, competent parties, etc., most of which are missing here. Both
of the parties were negligent in reaching an understanding. Seems it's
time for them to agree that there was no mutual understanding and work out a
reasonable settlement.

SJF

DaddyMonkey

True.
This contractor and I need to come to an agreement... but in all
honesty, I'm a little spooked to start signing papers now, this late in
the game.

It IS HIS trailer and my sheds have not been relocated. I really don't
want to get 'snotty' with him because he still has to move my sheds
after the the yard is levelled. Most all of my sheds continents are
within his trailer... he could 'jerk' this trailer out from under me at
any minute.

DaddyMonkey

Believe me, there has not, nor has there ever been ANY type of contract,
written, verbal, or implied.
...I wouldn't be going through this string of replies if it were not so.

I'm an old country boy... we didn't sign-on-the-line; shake on it; talk
about it; spit on it; or nothing!

His business is close to my home. He knows, as well as I, how the
weather has been. (24+ inches rain this summer).

m Ransley

If the price is fair pay him , but let him know you didnt have to as no
price was discussed. Fair is fair. If it is excessive that is different,
better friends than enemies.

DaddyMonkey

I am an ASE certified Master Automotive Technician (toot-toot)
(really, I am)

(Hypothetical situation follows)
You bring your car to me on Friday and tell me about a fluid leak. I do
the diagnostics for free... and tell you about the coolant leak.
"I'm sorry, but its your water-pump"
"How much is THAT gonna cost me"?, you ask
About $200, parts and labor...

You drop-off your car on Monday morning and the job is completed before
lunch-time. NO repair orders have been signed.

Meantime, your 2.3 kids get sick, wife has been sprayed by a skunk, 3
hurricanes have struck... whatever

YOU call back a month from Friday and say, "It's going to be the
following week before I can pick up my car..."
...but,I can't help you, because the manager is on vacation, HE makes
all of the decisions. He will be back TWO weeks from now.

Monday, two weeks later, there's a message on your voice-mail... "HEY!
This is Mr. soNso... your bill is getting excessive... there's a $50 per
hour storage fee to keep holding your car here. What do you want us to
do?

What WOULD you do?

DaddyMonkey

Well spoken!
Better friends than enemy

I think I'm gonna offer him HALF (50/50) and see what happens

American Mechanical

[...]

I'd find out what the going rate was for vehicle storage and pay the shop
that. I can't expect the shop to store my car for free. BUT your scenario
above does not match your own, the extra 2 weeks from the manager is not in
your situation. I would owe for the month at the normal rate, hardly
$50/hour for storage.

- Robert

DaddyMonkey

True, he has nothing to do with the weather.

I'd glady pay him if words were spoken, but they weren't.

As I stated earlier, If I had know BEFORE-hand of the cost, I could
have easily hired a landscaper to move/level the dirt.

THAT would have been 200-300 dollars, NOW I'm looking at a 500-600
dollar bill!

Nate

"DaddyMonkey" wrote
5) Your point being........??????????

P.S. one neighbor had cancer, next cardic, 3rd has deformed arm.. and
the 4th who could help me ,worked weekdays and could only help
weekends... which were raining cats/dogs.(now, he's trying to get
daughter into college)

Yawn.....More excuses....Typical of a deadbeat

dadiOH

DaddyMonkey wrote:
True, he has nothing to do with the weather.

I'd glady pay him if words were spoken, but they weren't.

You really don't get it...you expect someone you had one commercial contact
with 15 years previously to provide you with something for nothing.

You say you went to him for help...what kind of help did you ask for? Did
you ask him what he would charge for the help? If not, why in the world did
you expect freebie help?

The man is in business. Businesses charge. The fact that "no words were
spoken" is your fault, not his. Quit whining and pay up.
_______________

As I stated earlier, If I had know BEFORE-hand of the cost, I could
have easily hired a landscaper to move/level the dirt.

And naturally you called the trailer guy, told him that your project was
taking longer than you anticipated and asked him if that caused him a
problem. Naaa, you didn't do that, you'd rather wait until your tractor
owning neighbor has time to move/level it for free.
______________________

THAT would have been 200-300 dollars, NOW I'm looking at a 500-600
dollar bill!

And the longer you screw around the higher it will be.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Nate

"DaddyMonkey" wrote
[...]

Very poor analogy... You seem to forget there has been a 5 months lapse in
time period.

Nate

"DaddyMonkey" wrote
1) Yes, I have had his trailer for a long time.

2)Yes, for a long time.

3) Yes for a long time, and he couldn't use it.

4) No words were spoken over duration or monetary.

5) Your point being........??????????

P.S. one neighbor had cancer, next cardic, 3rd has deformed arm.. and
the 4th who could help me ,worked weekdays and could only help
weekends... which were raining cats/dogs.(now, he's trying to get
daughter into college)

What does you neighbors have to do with your responsibilities? That's my
point! Are you helpless unless someone helps you? Moving dirt is not rocket
science, even though you may think it is.

DaddyMonkey

No.
I'm not putting the blame on someone else.

No.
moving dirt is not rocket science

Again I state my case,
If HE had just told me BEFORE-hand of the charge being implied, I could
have had this dirt moved by a landscaper for 200-300 bucks... now the
bill is 550 plus.

DaddyMonkey

Commercial contract with???

15 years ago?... just to get some firewood? Ya gotta be kidding me!

Yea, maybe I "dragged my ass" because I could only afford weekend help
from my neighbor... BUT, he sure dragged HIS ass in explaining the
charges!!!!!

Rich

"DaddyMonkey" wrote in message
No.
I'm not putting the blame on someone else.

No.
moving dirt is not rocket science

Again I state my case,
If HE had just told me BEFORE-hand of the charge being implied, I
could
have had this dirt moved by a landscaper for 200-300 bucks... now the
bill is 550 plus.

Then offer to meet him half way, he gets money for loaning the trailer
you got the use of the trailer. See what he says to that.

dadiOH

DaddyMonkey wrote:
Commercial contract with???

15 years ago?... just to get some firewood? Ya gotta be kidding me!

That was "contact", not "contract". There is a difference.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

DaddyMonkey

You're a good man, Rich.

I agree on meeting him half-way.
no problem...

but half-way of 550 is 225.
I could have paid LESS than that back in April, and been 'done' with
him.

I feel betrayed

DaddyMonkey

Making your point with-in other peoples type-o's is a very poor excuse
for debate.

Darrell

No contract then its up to a judge to determine the intention of the
relationship. If your State is for/against verbal agreeements you could
meet him halfway instead of going to court.

ASSuming on both your parts is the problem. Since there was poor
communication by both parties each should accept some montetary
compensation (discount) and some in the form of business education or
experience.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by
the tail and face the situation. -- WCF
http://www.utahhousevalues.com

dadiOH

DaddyMonkey wrote:
Making your point with-in other peoples type-o's is a very poor
excuse for debate.

You are either an accomplished troll or a freakin' idiot.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

DaddyMonkey

Well spoken!

I liked the "business education" comment.

There are two fools in every market;
one asks too little, one asks too much.
Russian proverb

DaddyMonkey

First you retort to typo errors,
now, insults.

Look who's being a "troll" in this situation

Harry K

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...
DaddyMonkey wrote:
Making your point with-in other peoples type-o's is a very poor
excuse for debate.

You are either an accomplished troll or a freakin' idiot.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

I vote for the second. I can't believe this guy is still carrying on
about this incident. He is clearly in the wrong but keeps fishing for
someone to tell him different. Then he can't even keep it in the same
thread.

Harry K
DaddyMonkey

True... I am an idiot. LOL

If I had only known before-hand of the charges, it would have put a fire
under my A$$, and got me moving quicker. The weather hasn't been his
fault, nor mine.

A bill of almost $600 (for out of nowhere) seems like a
slap-in-the-face. But, like I said before, I'm an old country boy... and
fair is fair in my book.

Life can throw ya some curve-balls. Things seem to come from out of
nowhere. (remember Sept.11)

My wife of 27+ years is still the prettiest girl I've met! The
2-point-3 kids have new shoes/clothes and are back in school, and we are
all healthy and happy...

When I look at the "big picture" , and how much God has truly blessed
me, and the "curve-balls" that can come within life... I guess I
have been lucky--- so far.

A 600 dollar "curve-ball" seems small when I look at the big picture.

My best wishes to all that replied,
David

easy money Ccrepairs Home Ownership 0 July 30th 03 07:52 PM
FAST MONEY!!! Busy73 Home Ownership 0 July 25th 03 09:12 PM