Rick MacDougall

Default burned out bulbs

I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

SQLit

"Rick MacDougall" wrote in message
I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It

is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it

seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

Check your neutral connections in your service. That could help.

James Nipper

What does it mean to check the neutral connections in the service ??

--James--
m Ransley

Neutral connects, check voltage.

Sligo the Druid

Rick MacDougall wrote:

I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

I had similar problem and I measured the AC voltage coming into the
house. It was too high. I called the utility and they put a recording
voltmeter on my house. After a several days the recorder disappeared
and the problem stopped. Called the utility and they said they had
adjusted line voltage down.
Good luck,
Seamus J. Wilson
James Nipper

Neutral connects, check voltage.

-----------------------------------

Once again, what does this mean ???????? I bet an electrician would readily
know waht those four words mean, but the original poster is not likely an
electrician. That response provides NO information, whatsover. I
presume that you hold valuable information, but are somewhat limited in
conveying it to others.

Could you try again ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

--James--

m Ransley

James Nipper or AJ the ASS Wake up if you are to stupid to " GET IT "

m Ransley

James Nipper aka Ara John Movsessian ,,,,,, Need I say more or should
I say ???????? So shut the **** UP AJ----------- tres hermanos

Mike Fritz

Rick MacDougall wrote:
I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

Before the light burns out, does it exhibit strange behavior? No, I
don't mean attitude. :-) Does it ever get dimmer or brighter for a few
moments at times?

At my parents previous house, when the microwave was used, the lights
would dim in parts of the house, while others would brighten. I
researched this, and found it's called a "floating neutral".

In the main circuit panel, the neutral connection is bonded to ground.
This helps keep the neutral at 0 volts. Thus the hot is 120 volts. If
the neutral is not grounded, it can "move" up or down in voltage.

For example, if it moved to -10 volts relative to the hot connection on
the light, it'll receive 130 volts, thus making it brighter, and shorten
it's life.

I'm leaving a lot of detail out of why/how this happens because I'm not
eloquent enough to explain it in an easy to understand way.

My brother's light suffered the most. Like your kitchen light, he's
would burn out after a month or so. I finally convinced Dad to buy him a
compact fluorescent light. After 2 - 3 months, it burned out.

So do call to check to make sure it's not a floating neutral. A
"Band-Aid" would be to replace the bulb with a 130 volt bulb. These are
usually used in rental homes or apartments because they last longer
because they are designed for a higher voltage.
--Mike

rck

"Rick MacDougall" wrote in message
I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It

is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it

seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

Even the so-called good, expensive bulbs are not as good quality as what you
would have bought a few years ago. If the bulbs are fully enclosed, the
modern bulbs just can't take the heat. I leave the glass cover off and the
bulbs last a long time. I've checked the voltage and it's normal. If I put
the glass cover on, the bulbs won't last a month. Someone suggested
fluorescent. Good idea. Or, if you don't mind a little less light, replace
the 60's with 40's.

Bob

James Nipper

Neutral connects, check voltage.
Jim Yanik

"James Nipper" wrote in
:

Neutral connects, check voltage.

-----------------------------------

Once again, what does this mean ???????? I bet an electrician would
readily know waht those four words mean, but the original poster is
not likely an electrician. That response provides NO information,
whatsover. I presume that you hold valuable information, but are
somewhat limited in conveying it to others.

Could you try again ??

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

--James--

Your house has TWO incoming 'hot' wires that between them develop
220VAC,but between each and neutral,develop 120VAC.
Neutral is the return path for each 120VAC leg,a loose neutral means your
voltage could climb higher depending on how much resistance is in the
neutral path from any receptacle/appliance.

Since you have such little experience or knowledge,you should contact an
electrician instead of attempting the checks yourself.
(It could save your life.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Eric Tonks

Had a pair of small pot lights in my kitchen, they took very small pricey
reflector bulbs with a candelabra base. The bulbs wouldn't last longer than
2 to 3 months, used up the box and bought another box, same story. When that
box was used up, bought another box of the bulbs. Now they are still burning
after 3 or 4 years, I cannot remember exactly. It seems that either some
manufacturers or some batches are junk and others are exceptionally good.
Price doesn't seem to indicate quality in all cases.

Some full sized reflector bulbs in the kitchen are the original bulbs
installed in 1987 and are still going strong with daily use.

"Rick MacDougall" wrote in message
I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It

is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it

seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

Rick MacDougall

I checked voltage throughout the house and found consitent 123 volts. All
grounds good too. I didn't check the 220.
Bulbs are in a trak light type fixture and so are well ventilated and not
likely to overheat. 2 other fixtures in kitchen are on same breaker but
separate switches and show no sign of the problem. I have considered trying
compact flourescent but thought i'd see what the problem might be first.

Thanks for the response everyone.
any more thoughts are welcome

Rick

James Nipper

Thanks Jim Yanik for the very clear, concise, professional explanation of
"neutral connects, check voltage." This makes sense, and shows the
method of checking this voltage at the first point that it comes into the
breaker box.

Thanks !!

--James--

Your house has TWO incoming 'hot' wires that between them develop
220VAC,but between each and neutral,develop 120VAC.
Neutral is the return path for each 120VAC leg,a loose neutral means your
voltage could climb higher depending on how much resistance is in the
neutral path from any receptacle/appliance.

Since you have such little experience or knowledge,you should contact an
electrician instead of attempting the checks yourself.
(It could save your life.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Joseph Meehan

Rick MacDougall wrote:
I checked voltage throughout the house and found consistent 123 volts. All
grounds good too. I didn't check the 220.
Bulbs are in a trak light type fixture and so are well ventilated and not
likely to overheat. 2 other fixtures in kitchen are on same breaker but
separate switches and show no sign of the problem. I have considered

trying
compact flourescent but thought i'd see what the problem might be first.

Thanks for the response everyone.
any more thoughts are welcome

Rick

You did good. Since the voltages were constant and within norms, I
think you have almost ruled that problem out.

It is possible that you may be getting spikes from time to time due to
internal or external problems, but it seems not likely. Most internal
sources would have shown up with your voltage check and most external
sources would be blasting other lamps as well.

Let's go to plan B. Is there anything that could be causing vibration
of the fixture? Something in the room above, a exhaust fan close by, a pipe
close by...? Also remove one of the lamps. Take a close look at the
center contacts on both the lamp and the fixture. Do they look clean and
bright?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Steve B.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:52:59 -0700, "Rick MacDougall"
wrote:

I checked voltage throughout the house and found consitent 123 volts. All
grounds good too. I didn't check the 220.
Bulbs are in a trak light type fixture and so are well ventilated and not
likely to overheat. 2 other fixtures in kitchen are on same breaker but
separate switches and show no sign of the problem. I have considered trying
compact flourescent but thought i'd see what the problem might be first.

Thanks for the response everyone.
any more thoughts are welcome

Rick

What is above the lights? Since your voltage looks ok vibration is
the next big killer of bulbs. If you have a two story house with the
kids room above the kitchen you bulb life will be drastically shorter.
Just an idea for ya.

Steve B.
Rick MacDougall

What is above the lights? Since your voltage looks ok vibration is
the next big killer of bulbs. If you have a two story house with the
kids room above the kitchen you bulb life will be drastically shorter.
Just an idea for ya.

Steve B.

Lights are on upper floor above kitchen sink and near a window. There is an
over the range microwave with built in exhaust fan nearby but really not
much vibration to speak of.. It is however arguably the busiest area of the
house. Maybe that's all it is. I have a neighbour who's an electrician so
i'll offer him a beer to check the neutral in the service panel for me. if
that checks out, I'll try the compact flourescents. I've lived here for 8
years and this has been an issue since day 1. Does that make me patient or
procrastinating?

Thanks again everyone : )