Mike Fritz

Rick MacDougall wrote:
I have 1 light fixture in my kitchen that continually burns out bulbs. It is
a 2 bulb fixture that is above the kitchen sink. I thought the fixture
itself could be the trouble so I replaced it with a new one. The problem
persists. Whether I use cheap bulbs or high quality expensive bulbs it seems
I get little more than a month per bulb and it burns out. Could it be a
wiring problem or perhaps a moisture problem? There is no obvious sign of
either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Rick

Before the light burns out, does it exhibit strange behavior? No, I
don't mean attitude. :-) Does it ever get dimmer or brighter for a few
moments at times?

At my parents previous house, when the microwave was used, the lights
would dim in parts of the house, while others would brighten. I
researched this, and found it's called a "floating neutral".

In the main circuit panel, the neutral connection is bonded to ground.
This helps keep the neutral at 0 volts. Thus the hot is 120 volts. If
the neutral is not grounded, it can "move" up or down in voltage.

For example, if it moved to -10 volts relative to the hot connection on
the light, it'll receive 130 volts, thus making it brighter, and shorten
it's life.

I'm leaving a lot of detail out of why/how this happens because I'm not
eloquent enough to explain it in an easy to understand way.

My brother's light suffered the most. Like your kitchen light, he's
would burn out after a month or so. I finally convinced Dad to buy him a
compact fluorescent light. After 2 - 3 months, it burned out.

So do call to check to make sure it's not a floating neutral. A
"Band-Aid" would be to replace the bulb with a 130 volt bulb. These are
usually used in rental homes or apartments because they last longer
because they are designed for a higher voltage.
--Mike