xrongor

Default how to clean windows from hell

what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

Bryan

David wrote:
either "glass wax" or the glass cleaner that RainX makes./

I used to have some of the RainX stuff - Glass Cleaner 2000 or something
like that. Does that stuff still exist? I've used all mine and can't
find it in the stores anymore.

- Bryan

Joseph Meehan

xrongor wrote:
what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it

with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work

on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

Inside or outside? Maybe you should try washing them more often :-)

I suggest the original YELLOW label BonAmi. It will not harm the glass
and leaves no film when done. Note: it is not easy to find the YELLOW
label, most are GOLD label. Hunt around, try the hardware stores,
especially the old time type. The Gold label has a harder abrasive and can
scratch the glass in time as does almost all other cleansers.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Phisherman

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 11:47:56 -0600, "xrongor"
wrote:

what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

A razor blade can scratch a window, don't do it. Nothing cleans glass
like ammonia.

Not knowing what the particular film on your window, you may want to
try alcohol, kerosene, vinegar, or CLR (wear gloves with this stuff).
If the kerosene works, then you'll need to clean off the kerosene with
a strong detergent before following up with ammonia. Avoid anything
abrasive.
Gene

wrote:

what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

Try A&H

Use Arm to pick up Hammer and SWING!

Then find sale on glass

David

Gee, I don't know, Bryan. I got mine about 5 years ago as a
bonus to a package of RainX at Costco. I just used a smidgen
of it a few days ago, AAMOF.

David

Bryan wrote:

David wrote:

either "glass wax" or the glass cleaner that RainX makes./

I used to have some of the RainX stuff - Glass Cleaner 2000 or something
like that. Does that stuff still exist? I've used all mine and can't
find it in the stores anymore.

- Bryan

Eric Tonks

I agree, use Bon Ami. I have very good results with Bon Ami Foaming Spray,
it will clean anything off glass, where Windex did nothing. Or try the
original cake or powdered Bon Ami, with water you scrub it onto the glass
and let it dry. Then with a soft cloth, you wipe off the white power film.
It will even take off paint overspray, I should know, we used it in an
autobody paint shop.

Bon Ami is very difficult to find in most markets, I guess they don't offer
the local stores enough kick-back to make it worthwhile to stock. You mostly
find at least one version in small chains, where they try to have products
that the big chains won't carry.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
xrongor wrote:
[...]

JerryMouse

Eric Tonks wrote:

Bon Ami is very difficult to find in most markets, I guess they don't
offer the local stores enough kick-back to make it worthwhile to
stock. You mostly find at least one version in small chains, where
they try to have products that the big chains won't carry.

Look he
http://www.faultless.com/ironing.htm

Joseph Meehan

JerryMouse wrote:
Eric Tonks wrote:

Bon Ami is very difficult to find in most markets, I guess they don't
offer the local stores enough kick-back to make it worthwhile to
stock. You mostly find at least one version in small chains, where
they try to have products that the big chains won't carry.

Look he
http://www.faultless.com/ironing.htm

On of the "locations" listed for the BonAmi is:

http://www.agelong.com/

Which is where I get mine. BTW it appears the cakes are no longer
available.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

MUADIB®

A razor blade can scratch a window, don't do it. Nothing cleans glass
like ammonia.

careful use of a razor is not something that will hurt glass. I've
done lots of it and never had any better luck on something like what
you describe. The trick is to not screw up the razor's edge. If it
gets bent at all it *will* scratch the glass,.............how deep is
dependet on how messed up the blade is.

Change blades often and keep them clean and this is a great tool for
glass cleaning.

It also helps to have a blade holder that's worth anything.

Consider PLASTIC RAZOR BLADES they are designed for this also and are
safe for those who are challenged by these matters.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its.
Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours
and theirs. -- Oxford University Press, Edpress News
Bonnie Jean

"xrongor" wrote in message
what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it

with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work

on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

Have you tried hot water and some TSP?

m Ransley

Zud works well, a powdered cleaner with a mild acid , a cleaner similar
to comet

Bill

xrongor wrote:
what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

I use Zap glass and surface cleaner from the Dollar
General Store. $1.50 will get you a 40 ounce bottle.
My windows were pretty much the same as you describe
yours, and it cut right through.

Bill Gill

NoOne N Particular

Have you tried products like CLR?

Wayne

"xrongor" wrote in message
what a pain. I dont think these windows have been washed in at least 10
years. they laugh at windex even if you let it sit 10 minutes. dish soap
and one of those sponges with the pad on it isnt any better. been through
laundry soap, 409, everything under the sink... so far the only thing
working on this 'baked on film' has been getting it wet and scraping it

with
a razor. one window maybe, but i got a whole porch to do for this lady.
inside and out. the glass is quite clean if you scrape it, but im hoping
someone can clue me in on some cleaning solution that might actually work

on
this stuff or any other ideas.

thx
randy

Attic Fans, Open windows, help me figure it out :) CoogarXR Home Repair 8 May 15th 04 03:59 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM
Good manufacturer/Contractor to replace windows in a Condo in Queens, NY NetComrade Home Repair 3 November 5th 03 11:59 AM
'kin ell it's hot Dave Baker UK diy 34 August 10th 03 09:54 PM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM