Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expanding a 2 gang box to 3

I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 06:05:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

You are probably going to end up with a drywall patch, just to get to
the screw on top of the box (or bottom, depending on how it was
mounted).
One of those ratchet right angle screwdrivers with the removable 1/4"
hex shank bit might be your best bet. With luck it might not be that
big a patch.
Don't take that screw all the way out, just far enough to get the end
plate off. Enlarge the hole and put in the extension box with end
plate attached. It is a wiggle and pray trick to get the ear aligned
and run the screw back down. Do yourself a favor and tie a string on
the extension box so when you drop it inside the wall, you can get it
back. Loop the string through the holes in back, cut it off when you
are done.

At the end of the day you may be asking why you didn't just cut the
ears off the old box, pull it out and install a new "old work" box
unless you have a lot of luck and great dexterity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 7 Jul 2020 06:05:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

Why not just put another single box above or beside the box that is
there now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 1:49 PM, micky wrote:

Why not just put another single box above or beside the box that is
there now?

UGLEEE...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 9:05 AM, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

It's easier to just remove the old box, cut the drywall and extend the
opening to fit a new box and reinstall everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

Existing wall: Drywall
Starting to think its best just to pull the old stuff out.
Almost sure its nailed to the king-stud by the door, may take a saws-all to get it out.

Thanks

Thank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 13:56:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

That is the tool. Usually you put something on the wall like thin
plywood or heavy cardboard to protect the wall and cut the box off the
bracket. Then you can usually pry the bracket out with a flat bar.
Arlington is making some pretty cool old work boxes that screw in from
the inside of the box and you can adjust the depth if you get it
crooked or not the right depth.
The next issue is getting the wire into the box and having enough
slack to work but I might not actually be stapled that tight. Once the
drywall is up, you can remove the staples if you can get to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/20 2:40 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/7/2020 1:49 PM, micky wrote:

Why not just put another single box above or beside the box that is
there now?

UGLEEE...

Some people have ridiculous ideas of "Ugly".

--
"The Christian religion teaches us to imitate a God cruel, insidious,
jealous, and implacable in his wrath." -- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 19:46:05 -0400, posted
for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

+1 for Arlington, also there is another company called Orbit
that is innovating products.

the inside of the box and you can adjust the depth if you get it
crooked or not the right depth.
The next issue is getting the wire into the box and having enough
slack to work but I might not actually be stapled that tight. Once the
drywall is up, you can remove the staples if you can get to them.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 13:10:02 -0400, posted
for all of us to digest...

wrote:

[...]

Great idea, never thought of that. ;(

At the end of the day you may be asking why you didn't just cut the
ears off the old box, pull it out and install a new "old work" box
unless you have a lot of luck and great dexterity.

+1

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 14:49:07 -0400, micky posted for all of us
to digest...

wrote:

I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

Why not just put another single box above or beside the box that is
there now?

Do they make a wallplate for that? IDK

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

I looked at the Arlington stuff, what I saw was plastic or vinyl. Its a pain when the threads strip out of the plastic stuff.
This switch will see a lot of use (cycles), so I wanted to make as sturdy as possible.

I was in the big boxes the other day and was looking at ganging 3 Raco(s) together and screwing them in the wall/King-stud.
The other end could be the version with the clamps that tighten up ? Already has the NM clamps.
Looks like it would solve a lot of the problems ?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:26:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

I looked at the Arlington stuff, what I saw was plastic or vinyl. Its a pain when the threads strip out of the plastic stuff.

I've never seen stripped threads on a plastic box. Are you improperly using
an impact driver?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You may be over thinking the strip out in plastic boxes. It is a
pretty mature technology but use what you like.
If you can live with a drywall patch, I would cut out a strip from
stud to stud about 6-8 inches high across the top of the box. If you
are careful getting it out, you should be able to put that back but
the big boxes usually have small pieces of drywall for patches like
this. Then you only have a couple of lines to tape and mud.
With that much of a hole, you have plenty of room to work.
I would still try to cut the box out, nondestructively and replace it
first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 13:50:57 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

[...]

When I see them stripped, guys usually just tap them out to a #8 (or a
drywall screw)