Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Robert11

Default Plastic Switch/Outlet Gang Box Question

Hello:

Will be adding a gang box for a new outlet, and also one for a wall switch
in a home residence.

Guess I'm really old fashioned, but all the ones I've installed were always
metal.
The green ground wire was always grounded to the metal box, of course.

I see now that they sell plastic ones, as well as what I like to call the
conventional
metal kinds.

My questions a

Are the plastic "legal" per building codes these days ? Allover ?

Or, does it depend on the local state building code (I live in Mass.) ?

Which are presently more popular ?

Thanks,
Bob

John A. Weeks III

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Will be adding a gang box for a new outlet, and also one for a wall switch
in a home residence.

Guess I'm really old fashioned, but all the ones I've installed were always
metal.
The green ground wire was always grounded to the metal box, of course.

You still have to connect the ground on the various outlets and
switches to the ground in the electrical wire, in addition to
grounding the box. With plastic, you don't have to ground the
box, which saves a step in the process.

I see now that they sell plastic ones, as well as what I like to call the
conventional
metal kinds.

My questions a

Are the plastic "legal" per building codes these days ? Allover ?

Yes, for household use. I don't know for sure about everywhere, but
they are in the midwest.

Or, does it depend on the local state building code (I live in Mass.) ?

Which are presently more popular ?

Plastic.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Doug Miller

In article , "John A. Weeks III" wrote:

Are the plastic "legal" per building codes these days ? Allover ?

Yes, for household use. I don't know for sure about everywhere, but
they are in the midwest.

Not necessarily everywhere in the Midwest -- don't know for sure, but I'll bet
they're *not* legal in Chicago, which has unbelievably restrictive electrical
codes.

Or, does it depend on the local state building code (I live in Mass.) ?

It depends *entirely* on the local electrical code. This may be applied at the
state, county, township, or city/town level. Start at the city/town level and
work up the chain: it's entirely possible that there is a statewide code
which permits plastic boxes, but the city or town you live in has adopted a
more restrictive local code which prohibits them. The only way to know is to
talk to your *local* code enforcement authorities.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Marley Equator - plastic plumbing Troy UK diy 5 August 26th 03 07:37 PM