Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expanding a 2 gang box to 3

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 13:56:43 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

Existing wall: Drywall
Starting to think its best just to pull the old stuff out.
Almost sure its nailed to the king-stud by the door, may take a saws-all to get it out.

Thanks

Thank

That is the tool. Usually you put something on the wall like thin
plywood or heavy cardboard to protect the wall and cut the box off the
bracket. Then you can usually pry the bracket out with a flat bar.
Arlington is making some pretty cool old work boxes that screw in from
the inside of the box and you can adjust the depth if you get it
crooked or not the right depth.
The next issue is getting the wire into the box and having enough
slack to work but I might not actually be stapled that tight. Once the
drywall is up, you can remove the staples if you can get to them.